leaving your family for jesus

by serein 76 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

I meant: how do you know some of the family members (who did not follow), did not support them (the apostles) in choosing to follow Christ?

Peace,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

I meant: how do you know some of the family members (who did not follow), did not support them - Tec

As if walking out on your wife, children and business to follow a rambling preacher isn't bad enough you think the ones left behind should send money too?

• tec
    tec

You still misunderstood.

...did not support them in CHOOSING to follow. Support their choice, Cofty. Support their choice.

Peace,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

Support their choice to walk out on their children, abandon their livelihood and follow an itinerant teacher living off hand-outs?

Cult.

• tec
    tec

Sometimes we support those we love in what they do; especially when they believe in it. Most especially if we also believe in that choice. Sometimes we are even proud of them for doing it. And many of the followers helped to support them out of their own means.

So I ask you, how do you know that some family members (mothers, brothers, siblings, children, spouses) did not support their choice? And as we can see from the account of the mother of the Zebedee sons, some family members DID support the choice, and also maintained contact and/or followed as well.

Peace,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

You are changing the question. Jesus encouraged men to walk out on their families and follow him treking around Palestine.

He didn't say leave your family only if they approve.

Can you honestly justify a man in 1st century Palestine under harsh Roman occupation walking out on his children?

Jesus was the original christian cult leader.

Peter answered him, “We have left everything to follow you! What then will there be for us?”

Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life. But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first. - Matt.19:27-30

• tec
    tec

I'm not changing the question. The OP pondered these very things. Following Christ meant leaving some things behind, sometimes perhaps even everything... but any person could have followed as well. And some did, and some approved of that choice. That is not pure speculation; that is written.

I know he didn't say 'if they approve'. What would have been the point of that? What if the family members followed a lie? Then of course they would not approve. What if the condition to leaving the WTS was only if your family approves? No one would ever leave the lie.

Peace,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

You ignored my question completely. Nothing new there then.

Can you honestly justify a man in 1st century Palestine under harsh Roman occupation walking out on his children?

• tec
    tec

Well, you ignored my question as well, so fair is fair.

Yes, getting out of a lie is getting out of a lie. If you wait for the timing to be just right, then you will never leave the lie. If Christ is the one who gives life, and One must follow Him to receive it (and one cannot lead their children to something they know nothing of), then yes, following Him is justified.

And how do you know that they were not cared for? There is nothing written about it, other than this one sentence, and so every conclusion is supposition. If they left their fields, then their wives and children had means to support, if they chose to remain behind. After Christ had been crucified, children and wives were mentioned to be with them.

Peace,

tammy

• Wizard of Oz
    Wizard of Oz

and any smart enough to withold a litte of their liberated assets just in case......WERE KILLED!! FFS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit