Why Elders leave the Organization and why their Wives stay.

by stuckinamovement 72 Replies latest jw friends

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

I have talked to quite a few brothers who have served as elders and servants and left the organization. In most cases their wives have remained in despite the husband’s best efforts to persuade his wife that the organization is wrong. Even though the wife can see problems within they continue to press on in service to the Society. Why do elders leave while their wife stays…?

I think that this is the case due to several things…

As Elders and Servants most of us worked our tails off, at meetings, conventions, quick builds, service etc. Despite this, no matter how hard we tried and worked we were told that we needed to do a better job. Gratitude was rarely expressed. Many of us became burned out and disillusioned with the organization. We saw the corruption, simony and hypocrisy, the changing doctrinal positions and decided that we could no longer teach something that was not true. So we did research like any student is taught to do, we analyzed history and doctrine and came to the conclusion that it was wrong. Then…

As an appointed man you were expected and taught to lead your family in doing what is right. You were trained that even though you might feel some discomfort at the end result that you still had to make the hard decisions judicial or otherwise. It was always emphasized to the serving men to teach with skill, using illustrations, persuasion and confidence. You learned to be skeptical about someone’s “story” in judicial proceedings and thus always viewed the brothers and sisters with a measure of skepticism.

Our training helped us to realize that it was all a lie and then try to lead our families out. We were burned out teachers that knew how to research, were skeptical, critical, and determined to do what was right. That is why we left the organization. Watchtower, you trained us well.

The first person we told about our findings was our spouse. She was incredulous that it all could be true. Perhaps we were depressed, or in the wrong frame of mind. We needed to wait on Jehovah. We persisted in showing her the things wrong with the Society to the point where we were told, “I don’t want to talk about it”.

So why do some wives stay in this false organization? It is because they have been trained also. They have been trained to never question, and to humbly submit to the headship arrangement. They accompanied us in service and study, always at our lead, rarely with anything to offer in the family studies. They always looked to a man to provide direction and answers for them. They had no mechanism within or even a voice to question what they were taught. Their single job as a witness wife was to support their man, who in turn had to support the organization, who in turn was supposed to be supporting the Christ.

Our wives were trained by the organization to persist and endure all things even if their husband was a bastard. Their silent example would change his behavior is what they were told. Silent endurance and total dependence was the key thing that our wives were trained to do. And so now that is what they do. They persist, in silent endurance, hoping that an answer to their questions will be provided, somehow by their total dependence on the false organization. When we left, they simply followed the path of least resistance and stayed doing what they were trained to do.

Sadly the situation is simply a product of our Watchtower training.

SIAM

• cantleave
    cantleave

Good post SIAM. I think nugget left because she was already seeing hypocrisy with the way our autistic son was being treated. She could see that I was being judged by the behaviour of my son. I was told that in order to continue serving as an elder my family had to exemplary, including my son, which was an impossibility. My wife said to an elder that she couldn't see a place for our son in the KH and he agreed. I think that sealed it for her!

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

SIAM... very profound!

I would have done anything to be married to one of the elders you mention above. As an elder's wife I witnessed the incredible hypocrysy of my husband. It was hard to be the one to walk away...

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I would also argue that when a wife wakes up first, she has a better chance of reaching her husband than if things occur the other way around. I think a contributing factor is (and sisters please don't hate me, rememer I am a female mouse) that men are logical creatures whilst women are emotional. I would much rather reason with a man about TTATT than a woman.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

A good appreciation of the situation of many wives, you are empathetic, and I guess, speak from painful personal experience.

Many wives do not have the real chance to look in to the doctrine side of things, whilst we appointed men were oh so full of piss and importance and running around with bits of paper in our hand, they had to look after the kids.

Any doubts or problems they had were pushed down, out of loyalty to us. But week after week the mind control was at work, that what they were doing was loyalty to Jehovah, and he approved of them supporting their man, and allowing him to strut around , full of piss and importance.

They got respect from others in the Congregation because of their work, albeit in the background. To leave is to say that they have been first of all hoodwinked by you, you insisted it was the truth after all, and then fooled by the W.T

To do so, to leave, or even slow down, is to bring their whole world down, they then stand alone. To stay, they still get the respect for their years of support, and sympathy for being left alone to serve god, it is easier to feel all warm and fuzzy in that situation, than to go with you and lose all the "friends", respect, and "purpose in life".

That is a hard thing to cut through, the doctrine never was important to her, it was ALL emotional, women trust their emotions, and to leave is to say that she has no rudder anymore, she cannot trust her emotions.

I do not know what the answer is, except to say that being a really loving considerate husband who gives her attention and good times has worked for many, gradually they would much rather be with you, even when they should be at the K.Hall.

For any with loved ones trapped in, I send a hug, good luck to you all.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Man SIAM , as always, awesome post!!!

As Elders and Servants most of us worked our tails off, at meetings, conventions, quick builds, service etc. Despite this, no matter how hard we tried and worked we were told that we needed to do a better job. Gratitude was rarely expressed. Many of us became burned out and disillusioned with the organization. We saw the corruption, simony and hypocrisy, the changing doctrinal positions and decided that we could no longer teach something that was not true. So we did research like any student is taught to do, we analyzed history and doctrine and came to the conclusion that it was wrong. Then…

My COBOE once told me that some days he'd like to simply find someplace in the middle of nowhere so that he could just scream and yell to release the tension and anxiety within him, which is a direct result of his position. You're right too SIAM, meetings, field service, special campaigns, parts, talks, elder meetings, meetings about meetings, ARRHGHGHHAH. It's enough to drive you nuts some days. Check this out, my celly has been ringin and vibrating like crazy lately to the point you would think I'm a celebrity, and you wanna know why I'm getting all these phone calls all of a sudden? Even if you don't, I'll tell you! It's other brothers courting me because they want me to assist them with their privileges at the upcoming circuit assemblies and district conventions. Each call starts off the same too like, "Hey Brother Whore, I was just ummm wondering, if you're not busy during the upcoming convention, would you like to help me in the hemorrhoids department?" SMH

Our training helped us to realize that it was all a lie and then try to lead our families out. We were burned out teachers that knew how to research, were skeptical, critical, and determined to do what was right. That is why we left the organization. Watchtower, you trained us well.

Had I remained a Ministerial Servant, I'm not entirely sure I would have ended up on this message board or FreeMinds, or even know that Ray Franz was different than Fred Franz, and 1975 along with the purge in the early 80's would have been a JW Urban Legend to me. Second I got appointed I felt the need to step my study game up, and THAT's when the internal conflict began. The same way the WT taught us how to completely demonize other organized religions and belief systems, we've been able to apply the same criteria towards the WT. It's like they created a monster that they're having trouble controlling.

So why do some wives stay in this false organization? It is because they have been trained also. They have been trained to never question, and to humbly submit to the headship arrangement. They accompanied us in service and study, always at our lead, rarely with anything to offer in the family studies. They always looked to a man to provide direction and answers for them. They had no mechanism within or even a voice to question what they were taught. Their single job as a witness wife was to support their man, who in turn had to support the organization, who in turn was supposed to be supporting the Christ.

I'm single, but what you posted here about wives can apply largely to women in general within the organization regardless if they're single or married. The one thing that I will always find attractive about nonJW women is how they're more opinionated and ambitious than JW women. God I can't tell you how much I love an intelligent woman who can school me and who doesn't have a problem recognizing when someone is attempting to pull the wool over her eyes and calling them out on it. I love that!!!!!! The women in the KH however, too many are like stepford wives or something and that goes for both the single or the married ones. Man, there was this one pioneer who had a love/hate relationship with me prior to me getting appointed. When I got appointed, she was serving where the need is great. When she came back, and got wind of me being an el-duh, everything changed. Granted, she won't call me lord, but she'd definately think about it longer than what should be called normal before saying no.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

SIAM - A very thought provoking honest post. The ultimate irony of the abandonment of headship when the husband tries to help the wife to freedom!

Cantleave - Wow...how dreadful for you two as parents to be faced with such a heartless attitude when you really needed support. Shocking.

Loz x

• nugget
    nugget

it was rubbish I knew it was rubbish I just didn't want to believe it was all a pile of poo. My son helped me realise that people weren't important and if you couldn't be a slave to doctrine you couldn't have everlasting life. Any organisation that had no place for my Son wasn't worthy of my worship.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Wow, did you just write my life story or what!

How did you know????

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

1. She still believes its the "Truth" of all truth.

2. Possible, is she might have lots of friends, who are good to her, and she does not want to lose them.

3. Ignorance is bliss, and this is the path of least resistance, when your whole life revolved around the W.T.S.

4. The wife does not accept what her husband tells her, and have her own freedom of conscience to decide.

5. What is the wife is aware of her spiritual need, but her husband now become's an atheist, figuring if "JWs did not have the truth, nobody does! How will leaving the WTS aid her with her quest of becoming more attune to her spiritual side?

6. How many Ex-Elders on this forum have you meet who attend church each week? Almost none, most ex-elders are deist or atheist, this might explain why a woman does not leave as well, she does not want to become a deist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit