Why Elders leave the Organization and why their Wives stay.

by stuckinamovement 72 Replies latest jw friends

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

Real Life Person, name and work changed

Elder Joe, works as a building designer, he makes $275,000 per year, gives his elderette wife a nice way of life. Elder Joe after twenty fives years of marriage, meets a nice secretary at work, he committs adultry and she won't take him back. His confession is too much for her to deal with, not just one extra-maritial affair, but many. Elder Joe is disfellowshiped, leaves his wife with little money, she ends up on Welfare, until the Court forces an equitable solution(If there is such a thing).

Elder Joe, now finds JWN and decides to teach his ex-wife,all the new insights he has learned from the Internet. Sister exwife, who received monetary help, a swarm of comfort from the sisterhood, free baby sitting and yard work. Do you think Elder Joe's new found insights from JWN and the web, will sway this sister on his side? He really tried to get his ex-wife to accept the Organization's short-falls, after pulling this sh(T on her. Other sisters who saw the love and kindness, are deeply impressed on this sisterly love, even though it is displayed to a few circuit players only.

• just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

I'd also like to chime in on this. Despite all the headship talk, the real truth is that most of the JW men are not taught how to lead, only follow. Many might think that as elders their leadership skills have been developed and they'd be experts at leading their family and more in touch with that supposed built-in taking-the-lead ability. But actually the opposite is the case.

Elders now are even more so told to be "yes men" and not really decisive. An elder of five or ten years even is constantly reminded to acquiesce first to specific society instructions and/or more experienced elders. Everyone here has seen the detailed letters that tell elders how to 'tie their own shoes.' The society treats its elders like retards. There's no leading - just following instructions - elders are just better followers - not leaders!

Believe it or not, for men, this actually has the effect of emasculating them over a period of time. Even the ones that have some natural leadership abilities, often times are "molded" into a subserviant corporate pawn. The higher up they climb, the more entrenched follower, not leader, they're likely to become.

Sometimes these guys become frustrated if they have a more normal wife that has her own opinions. They're so confused about the headship idea, they do the only thing they've been taught - lay down a bunch of rules to try and restrict her from being herself. That's OT though, but obviously everyone can guess how that turns out: Guy doesn't know how to lead, wife does more and more her own thing away from busy-busy-elder husband; elder husband gets frustrated, elder-husband lays down the law; wife says 'yeah right Mr. never here'; husband then lays down the hand - and now you have the JW headship circle circle of retardedness.

Now given, the above doesn't always happen, but the emasculation of men in the JWs and lack of any real leadership training hurts families and marriages. Mainly, because most JW elders don't realize what's happened to them and how utterly lacking they are in real family leadership abilities.

After a number of years of being in this state of mind, psychologically the wives aren't going to all the sudden pick up and follow their husband. They haven't followed him for years - they followed the men in NY, and that's their real husband. All the instructions, all the activity, family studies, service, and prayer together, etc. etc. Those were things that the husband didn't come up with- but the guys in NY did. They own all the ideas on family and marriage activity - right down to a couple's sex life. They're the ones that have been leading the couple.

So when a husband rejects the old fellows in NY - the wife's internal red flags kick in and there's a role shifting. Since she never saw the husband as the leader to begin with, she continues following the real man (men) of the house - the guys in NY. Oh sure, she might say she's following God - but we know whose faces she puts on God. 'Yeah, yeah, you're providing materially, but the guys in NY are going to give me a pet lion and a big ass mansion along with a fountain of youth. Can you top that?'

This might seem far-fetched, I realize that. But much has been written on loss of polarity in relationships and how in situations like these, wives can often replace their man with a spiritual figure not unlike the GB (although when it happens outside the JWs it is more likely to be an actual spirit being).

The control that the GB exerts is very powerful. It undermines the natural masculine role that many husbands would be otherwise easily fulfilling in their couple. And can we really blame the wives? For years we've been a puppet for the WT, and the men pulling the strings were really where her loyalty went. Just because we realized we don't need the strings doesn't mean she's going to see it that way.

The good news is there are plenty that are able to regain their role as a man of purpose. And that newfound journey of finding your true masculine personality and soul, can often initiate a change of heart and win her back. Watching a man finally lead his life and take it by the horns instead of being a religious company yes-man, often has the effect of energizing that polarity attraction aspect. It's not always easy after being trained for so long to be a corporate lap dog, nor is it easy to get her to change that perception of you even after you start to show your teeth. But it has been done, and what one man can do, so can another.

• sickandtired
    sickandtired

Thanks for the kind words, Greybeard. I have looked at that site and it has helped me.

Thanks for the hug, NRFG - needed that!

Billy, I'm trying to be clear-headed about this and look for ways to help him think outside the Watchtower box. It's difficult and I hope that I can help him to see that the GB are just human. I am careful about making sure I've closed my browser now! LOL

PTN, looks like we're in a similar position and I feel for you. It's soul crushing sometimes. I just try to appreciate the little things in life - the things that sometimes I used to take for granted. I used to think I was going to live forever - now, as I've told my husband before, I see myself getting old and dying.

Yeah, I use the InPrivate so that he can't see my activity. I hate being dishonest like this, but this religion forces you in this position as soon as you don't agree and realize you're surrounded by family and friends who'd drop you like a hot potato once they found out and couldn't get you to agree to their POV.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

not to be chauvanistic, but women got more friends and support to loose than men.

house wives/pioneers don't have any other friends outside the org

• life is to short
    life is to short

I hated every minute of being an elders wife. From the day we were married. My husband was an elder when I married him so it was all I knew.

So much stuff was just dumped on me. I just got totally burned out.

When it was our book studies turn to feed the speaker it was up to me to arrange everything as my husband told the group to come to me, no one could afford to go out to eat and no one could use their house to have the speaker over so I had to have the whole book study group in our house, clean and feed up to 20 people every six weeks. No one offered any help. My husband did not want to leave anyone out so everyone came.

I will never forget the time when we had just been back from Bethel we had been back for about six months and we were really struggling with money, well we were dead broke. This one day we were just starting to leave the hall and my husband was called back to talk to someone about some elder thing and this sister came up to me with the speakers wife in tow. The sister told me we were taking the speaker, his wife and their children along with their children's friends out to eat. I was dumbfounded and must have looked like a deer caught in the heed lights. I just looked blankly at the sister she said I told sister speakers wife that you were taking them to such and such place that was about 10 dollars a person, a bill of over 80 dollars. The speakers wife looked at me and said we can follow you to the restaurant. When my husband came to the car he said "What?" I was like it was just dumped on me he said I should have said no and I said how with it being given to me like it was with the speakers wife standing there. The sister who started it all told me later that all the elders had left that she could see and she just did not want to speaker and his wife to not be fed and since it was the elders job to feed the speaker she took it on herself to make sure it happened and since my husband was the only elder at the hall it feel on us. Thank god I had a credit card. I was so hurt and frustrated.

I had no friends in the religion even through I was raised it it. I was an elder's wife for over 20 years and never once was I invited into the elder's wives club. During the elder's meetings after the meeting which could last up to two hours I was shunned by most the the other wives. They would get into two or three groups depending on who was mad or not mad at someone and the cliques that they formed. I hated the cliques and never wanted to gossip so I was looked down on. Most of them did not work and the very few that did were treated with disrespect also but they were still so loyal to the religion that I never got along with them either because they were always going on and on about how wonderful it was to sit and wait and serve Jehovah they were just so fake there was no thinking going on in their head.

When my husband would give a talk out he would be greeted by the other elders at the hall as soon as we got there and they would pull him aside to talk elder stuff. I was left by myself with the other women in the hall just standing they watching me. Hardly ever did anyone approach me. It was always so strange and uncomfortable. I felt like I was in JR. High again. Everyone once in a while I would try to talk to someone and most of the time they would just say a few words and leave me standing in the middle of the hall feeling stupid.

This went on in every hall we were in including when we were at Bethel.

All Time Jeff is so right the deeper you are into the religion the more rotten you see it is.

I do not understand why my husband still stays. He see the rot but still believes it is the "truth". I just do not get it. It makes no sense to me expect that it is all he has ever known and I think he is really afraid of dying without some hope. But the hope is false it is not true I just think he cannot accept he wasted his life.

LITS

• Bella15
    Bella15

Both one of my sister and my mom stayed although their husbands - ex elders - left ... both think my father and ex-brother in law are under Satan's dominion and they see themselves as MARTYRS for stayind and enduring ... of course they receive a lot of "lip service" from the congregations, and they love to play the part of long suffering wives, I am telling you ... THIS despite the fact that for example my sister was unfaithful to her husband and even one of her children may not be her husband's ... LOL! Whenever I remember all the double standards of these people makes me laugh ... they push everything under the rug as long as they attend meetings and go door to door SALVATION is theirs ...

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

LifeistooShort...We have so much in common! 20 years of living like an Afghan woman. So many elder's wives like their position (I hated everything about it). I often looked enviously at the women in our hall that had unbelieving mates.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

Lifes too short. What a miserable situation you describe. Haven't we all seen Elders wives and kids with looks on their faces that reflect they are going through someting similar or worse. I remember how they would have to linger after the late night meetings looking longingly at the closed door where the Elder was in some meeting or other. All they wanted to do is go home at a decent hour for once.

• life is to short
    life is to short

Magwitch thank you also exwhyzee.

Magwitch we really do have a ton in common. I was thinking while I was at work today that I never touched on how much I never had a husband.

When we would go on vacation which usually was just a long weekend and not that often as we had such little money pioneering and then paying for all the years we did not work pioneering, my husband would have to take Congo stuff with him to work on. I would beg him to please just spend time with me alone but he said he was just so busy with the Congo that he needed time. We would go to Canada to this little town about four hours from our house and thank God we could not use our cell phone but I would go for walks by myself while he said in our room doing his Congo stuff. It just truly hurt.

I hated every minute of being an elders wife. Every hall we were in the other elders dumped on my husband the most crappiest jobs like my husband was always the school overseer, and the one who did the time so he would have to call everyone or they would call us I do not know which was worse all of the nuts cases calling giving me their time or leaving messages on the answering machine. The other elders always gave my huband the problem ones in the hall.

My husband always told me I should have counted the cost of marring an elder. Finally after 18 years we got into a really bad fight and I said I am sorry I thought I marred a husband, my mistake.

I truly loved my husband when we got married I never married him because he was in elder but in spite of the fact, I never knew what it all involved being an elders wife or I would never have done it.

LITS

• finally awake
    finally awake

What I don't get about the elder's wives is why on earth don't they bum a ride a home after the meeting if the husband has to stay for a meeting. That crap would have only happened to me once before I would have insisted on driving separately. I know not every couple has 2 cars (although all of them in my former hall did), but surely someone else would drop you at home. It's bad enough keeping the kids out until 9:30 on a school night, no need to make it worse by waiting for an elder's meeting to finish.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit