Blame the designer and not the product: God and the lame Free Will argument

by Terry 140 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

If you want to talk about robots read Issac Asimov's robot books. His robots are programmed to follow three basic rules: follow orders, don't harm yourself, never harm a person. Sounds simple except they are always screwing something up becuase the three laws conflict in some situation, or they didn't understand the correct application.

I own over 400 Asimov books. He is one of my heroes.

However, you can't quote FICTION to prove FACT.

• Terry
    Terry

Terry, your circumstances are what they are. Time and unforeseen circumstances befall us all. If you're paralzyed, your choices are limited, but you have the free will to choose which one you take.

Do you think about what you are writing before you write it?

What does that last sentence actually mean? If you are paralyzed and will yourself to walk because it is the strongest natural desire to do so--you are NOT FREE to make the choice IN ANY WAY. In what possible way is a paralyzed man "free"? to make a Choice?

• simon17
    simon17

There is meaning in the second, but not in the first. The second one is free. The first one is a slave.

Yeah but... freedom is not "You are free to do what you want; but if you don't do what I want, I will kill you"

In that sense all slaves have been "free". They can choose to leave the plantation if they want at any time. But if they don't want to be hunted down and killed they will freely choose to stay on the plantation and follow their master's will.

• robB
  • Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Terry,

You're missing the most important part of the issue... the naked lady and the talking snake. Long story short--women shouldn't have free will. Isn't that the moral of Genesis?

• journey-on
    journey-on

Terry, no offense, but do you ever stop and THINK about what someone has actually posted. I thought we were talking about Free Will (a broader concept)....not simple will. Apologies.

• tec
    tec

I just don't understand what you mean when you say "It means nothing"!

Ah.

I mean there is no substance to the action. No heart. It is just something programmed into you. Choosing to do good means more than having no choice but to do good. I know the practical application is the same. But there is no spirit behind it because it is just programming.

Terry, you're a musicion. Let's say we have two people playing Mozart. They are both precise and make no mistakes... but one performance brings you to tears (or whatever emotion), and the other just gives you an appreciation for the music. What is the difference?

(I would even say that someone who makes some mistakes but puts passion into their play is going to be the one that moves people, rather than someone who plays precise but without the passion)

Peace,

tammy

• N.drew
    N.drew

I read about a man who had foresight (like heaven has foresight). He was an activist for nature. His name is Jay Norwood Ding Darling (1876-1962). I think I remember it was he who warned about dams.

When someone practices foresight you do not know if that person has done so because of heaven (and neither do I). But we are sure that some people take hold of power without any concern about what might happen if they do so.

Heaven knows what every action that every person causes. Do you know whether or not you have turned anyone's heart toward atheism? Heaven knows. That is what I mean. Heaven knows how what I chose to do or not has an affect on others and on the future.

Maybe one day scientists will experiment with power and cause ruin. Heaven knows, we do not. Or do you know Terry? I know I don't know.

• Ding
    Ding

Put this in another context.

Would you prefer a Stepford wife who is programmed to be whatever you want to a wife with her own will and emotions who may let you down?

• Terry
    Terry

Terry, no offense, but do you ever stop and THINK about what someone has actually posted. I thought we were talking about Free Will (a broader concept)....not simple will. Apologies.

Please distinguish the terms for me, please. Is this something you personally have invented or is it a philisophical concept I've failed to encounter?

Your WILL is what your conscious individuality, tastes, values and judgement coalesce into so as to drive your sense of purpose.

How could any of this occur without FREE exercise?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit