Anyone here use a tablet computer

by maksym 56 Replies latest jw friends

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

My new 3rd Gen IPad has arrived. Yes Djeggnogg its my first. It is truly amazing I have to say. I'm considering getting a keyboard case for it since I am finding it slows my touch typing speeds somewhat...but thats ok unless I'm typing a big academic document. I've been looking at the Targus...it seems that at present the choices in UK are limited? That said I have hardly put it down in 3 days. Love it.

Loz x

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@Lozhasleft:

My new 3rd Gen IPad has arrived. Yes Djeggnogg its my first. It is truly amazing I have to say.

"Amazing" is just one word that you will use to describe the iPad and how much your computing life will change not that you have your first tablet. One thing I would suggest you consider is downloading from Apple's AppStore a copy of Dropbox. It won't set you back too much, but you'll be happy you did so. If you should use Microsoft Word, for example, then you might want to consider downloading a copy of Pages (which is US $9.99); you would then copy the Word documents you wish to be able to access on your iPad to one of the folders you will create in your 2GB of Dropbox "cloud" storage you are allocated, so that you may use Pages to not only create new Word documents, but open and edit existing Word documents as well.

You can copy anything you wish to your Dropbox storage as you would to a hard drive, including text files, music files and photos. If there are files that you have need for others to be able to access (such as photos), then you would copy these to the "\Public" folder or to any subfolder you will have created within this "\Public" folder, and send a link to each file you want others to be able to access.

I'm considering getting a keyboard case for it since I am finding it slows my touch typing speeds somewhat...but thats ok unless I'm typing a big academic document. I've been looking at the Targus...it seems that at present the choices in UK are limited?

Such keyboards will increase the weight of your iPad, so you might want to just get a case that will permit you your iPad to stand upright, at an angle, or both. (My iPad case stands upright.) Whether to get one with a Bluetooth keyboard built into the case, or to buy a separate hardware Bluetooth keyboard is going to be a subjective decision so I don't have a recommendation.

I have the Apple Wireless keyboard (US $69.00), which is a Bluetooth keyboard, but using Dictate on the iPad 3, you may like dictating what things you would otherwise have to type on your iPad, at least until the novelty of it all wears off, but in any event you would still find using the built-in virtual keyboard a necessity. I would prefer dictating to my iPad in lieu of typing just as I do on my PC, but, unlike you, I don't have the wherewithal to be able to buy an iPad 3 (I also run a radio station), and my preference anyway is to keyboard text using the Bluetooth keyboard for lengthy typing projects.

Since you are in Great Britain, however, there will probably be many occasions when you want to be able to write the Euro or the Pound currency symbol, which is done on the Bluetooth keyboard by typing Option + Shift + 2 (euro) and Alt + 3 (pound), but on the virtual keyboard, you may type them by switching to the ".?123" keyboard layout and holding down the "$" key for a couple of seconds; you can then select the symbol you wish from the keyboard overlay. If you use a lot of symbols (e.g., the mathematical symbol for "therefore") when you write, then you might want to download an app called "Character Pad."

That said I have hardly put it down in 3 days. Love it.

It may be six months before you have fully transitioned to using your new iPad for everything that you formerly used a PC or a Mac to do. For many people, the iPad has taken the place of their PC, especially when, starting with the release of iOS 5.0, iPad users were no longer tied to having to use a PC or a Mac because the use of iTunes was required.

@djeggnog

• cantleave
    cantleave

EGGY!!! Great advice!

• moshe
    moshe

eggnogg is sure acting chummy - next thing you know he will be wanting us commiserate over his troubles in WT land.

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

A few corrections (where indicated in red).

@Lozhasleft:

My new 3rd Gen IPad has arrived. Yes Djeggnogg its my first. It is truly amazing I have to say.

"Amazing" is just one word that you will use to describe the iPad and how much your computing life will change now that you have your first tablet. One thing I would suggest you consider is downloading from Apple's AppStore a copy of Dropbox. It won't set you back too much, but you'll be happy you did so. If you should use Microsoft Word, for example, then you might want to consider downloading a copy of Pages (which is US $9.99); you would then copy the Word documents you wish to be able to access on your iPad to one of the folders you will create in your 2GB of Dropbox "cloud" storage you are allocated, so that you may use Pages to not only create new Word-compatible documents, but open and edit your existing Word documents as well.

@moshe wrote:

Serious work that you need done in a timely fashion requires a PC or a laptop- tablets are more for "looking" than "doing".

@djeggnog wrote:

"Serious work ... requires a PC or a laptop"? Really?!? ...

@SweetBabyCheezits wrote:

Eggnog, I use an iPad ... mostly to handle my own secretarial duties.... [¶] Unfortunately, I can't - and wouldn't care to - use the iPad for my "heavy lifting" at this point, since that requires the use of full-featured versions of Autodesk & Adobe CS5 Master Suite products, which call for a PC or notebook of some sort. So maybe that's what Moshe had in mind instead of secretarial stuff when he said "serious work".

@djeggnog wrote:

If one wishes to generate letters, pleadings, contracts, corporate minutes, medical databases/reports, accounting/billing reports, spreadsheets/charting, memos and faxes, the iPad can handle serious work quite well, but scanning/OCR, audio editing and video production work are "heavy lifting" tasks of a different sort that requires a PC. Someone -- I believe it was @SweetBabyCheezits -- mentioned his need to use AutoCAD on "a PC or laptop," but with the iPad 3's A5X processor and 2048x1536 resolution, I can imagine iPad apps handling 20MB drawings with aplomb. Both cadTouch and iCAD Professional are available for the iPad and iDesign is a universal app.

Maybe I can afford to have a great imagination (since I have no need for AutoCAD apps in my work). I'm actually not sure what to make of @SBC's comment in equating what things attorneys do as "secretarial stuff" or how he knew what @moshe had in mind, when @moshe's only point, or so it seemed to me -- was that tablets were slower than PCs or laptops, and were "more for '"looking' than 'doing,'" than they are for doing any "serious work."

@moshe:

eggnogg is sure acting chummy - next thing you know he will be wanting us commiserate over his troubles in WT land.

Tsk, tsk. Over what, pray tell, might I be "commiserating" in the future, @moshe? Let's say I was a member of the Baptist church. I'm not, but let's imagine that I am. Would you be trying to have this conversation with me over what "troubles" I might have in the future with my church? People choose to worship God or not to worship God. Of those people that choose to worship God, they choose to do so with spirit and truth or not to be concerned about such things. What business is it of yours how I worship and with whom I choose to worship God? Why would you be concerned about my choice? I'm not concerned at all about your choice. I would assume you made the choice you wanted to make and so have I; get over it.

Perhaps were I Southern Baptist and not Northern Baptist, or Northern Liberal Baptist and not Northern Conservative Baptist, or Northern Conservative Reform Baptist and not Northern Conservative Fundamentalist Baptist, or Northern Conservative Fundamentalist Baptist Eastern Region and not Northern Conservative Fundamentalist Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Fundamentalist Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879 and not Northern Conservative Fundamentalist Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912, I would be a bit troubled. But, as it happens, I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses and not a Baptist.

@djeggnog

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    Goshawk: I use my iPad to view autoCad files and 3d models while at a install site during construction.
    Egg: I believe@SweetBabyCheezits believes the iPad to be unsuitable for AutoCAD files, but maybe you can help him ease into the use of one for DWGs and DXFs.

Goshawk, don't mind Egg, he just likes to misrepresent what other people say to cover over his own stupid remarks. Nowhere did I write or otherwise imply the iPad wouldn't make an excellent viewer. A buddy of mine uses it onsite every week and loves it. It seems like a fantastic application of the iPad in the field. To me, it would beat the hell outta shuffling through D or E-sized prints.

Egg, my actual words are indelibly written in this same thread. Go back and re-read it. I said my work"requires full-featured versions of Autodesk & Adobe CS5 Master Suite products", not just a viewer. While it's an awesome piece of hardware in it's own right, for some folks' needs, the iPad can't compete with a desktop or notebook PCs (including Macs) that are designed for memory-intensive and processor-demanding apps like Autodesk Inventor. That said, I love using the iPad where it excels.

Egg: Are you jealous of me? From where exactly is this angst you have toward me coming?
    SBC: You got me, DJ. It's jealousy.
    Egg: I knew it.

A big thanks to Egg for demonstrating that sarcasm is wasted on the stupid.

SBC:... I think you might become a decent chap, even if you chose to continue believing crazy JW doctrine whilst cavorting with us wretched apostates on JWN.
    Egg: I don't know what "crazy JW doctrines" even means. If you don't mind, please give me an example of just one such doctrine that you believe I embrace as one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Fair enough. How about the idea that a 2k year old Jew named Jesus - who supposedly healed the blind (by spitting in their eyes), walked on water, turned water to wine - rose from the dead himself and ascended to heaven so that he could direct a publishing company to define, and then REdefine, the term "generation" to suit their own purposes.

Egg: While I believe I know what "douchebag" means, I'm not so sure that it would be proper on my part to guess that you meant by "douchebaggery," so if you don't mind -- I do realize you might mind -- but if you don't mind doing so, please tell me what you meant by this non-word so that in the future I won't have to guess what it was you meant by it.
    SBC:For a technologically advanced ubermensch, I'd expect you to be a little more familiar with Google. Click the link below and just go with entry #3... http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=douchebaggery .... Maybe that's a bit harsh, even for you.
    Egg: I don't believe I asked you how online resources like the Urban Dictionary defined "douchebaggery." Don't you have your own mind, your own brain? Are you somehow tied to Google or other online resources so that you refuse to let your own brain think? Didn't you know what it was you meant?

Come on, Egg, for someone who presents himself as the badass intellectual antagonist of JWN, I'd expect you to have better research skills. Wait, do you want me to define "antagonist" for you as well? Or do you just need help when you can't find the definition within the boundaries of the WT Library?

Egg: I don't need a lesson from you on the essentials you've come to learn about using a browser on the 'net (before the Google we know today existed, I used WebCrawler and Dogpile).

Then why didn't you just use Dogpile to look it up? Especially since you're so wise in your Internets years... a real cutting-edge pioneer! "OH, tell us about the days of Netscape Navigator, gramps!! Please! And what was it like running Windows 3.1 and dial-up over a 14.4k modem?? Surely you must possess godlike MSCE credentials if you can name a couple of old search engines!"

Egg: I asked you what you meant by "douchebaggery"; I don't believe I stuttered. Not to be harsh.

Haha - worry not, my egg-headed friend, that wasn't harsh at all. Stupid maybe. Who stutters when they type anyway? Are you mixing your cliched in-person tough guy speak with your Internet tough-guy speak?

Egg: One other question: If AutoCAD or CS5 were among the apps populating a Citrix farm, would you be unable to use Citrix Receiver, which is a universal app that runs on the iPad, to run either of these app?
    SBC: Possible or not, I really don't know. I know it's possible to hammer a nail with fist-sized rock but I tend walk away bleeding and swearing by the time it's done.
    Egg:I'm done with this. You want to pretend to be smart, that's fine.

No, see, I'm average and I'm okay with that. But the same goes for you and I just want to make sure you know it. It would be easier for you to just admit you aren't the omniscient king of technology you think you are. The iPad may be the perfect piece of hardware for your needs and I wouldn't be surprised if it meets the full computing needs of many users. But not all. And that's what you finally get around to admitting here.....

Egg:....scanning/OCR, audio editing and video production work are "heavy lifting" tasks of a different sort that requires a PC. Someone -- I believe it was @SweetBabyCheezits -- mentioned his need to use AutoCAD on "a PC or laptop,"

So there are tasks for which the iPad won't replace a more qualified machine yet? Man, I'm glad you pointed that out.

Egg: but with the iPad 3's A5X processor and 2048x1536 resolution, I can imagine iPad apps handling 20MB drawings with aplomb.

There you go imagining up reality again. Haha, what a clown! Hey, do you base all your arguments on your imagination or just the ones you present on JWN?

Egg: Both cadTouch and iCAD Professional are available for the iPad and iDesign is a universal app.

Well, see Egg, you DO know how to use a search engine!

But that doesn't mean those two apps are the solution to a much greater issue. Like I said - and I am completly sincere about this - if you can suggest a plausible means in which I can resort to an iPad only and still use my trackball for input, dual 24" screens, and the same bandwidth I have when connected to a gigabit ethernet network, and run full versions (not just light apps or viewers) of Autodesk and Adobe Creative Suite software, I'll ditch the desktop and notebook. But, FWIW, I regularly peg out an i7 processor and utilize all 12GB of RAM on my main editing computer. Just let me know when I can trash it and put my iPad in its place.

• moshe
    moshe
    But, as it happens, I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses and not a Baptist.
    @djeggnog

Well,like I said, for some reason you are acting pretty chummy with the "enemy"-

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@moshe wrote:

Serious work that you need done in a timely fashion requires a PC or a laptop- tablets are more for "looking" than "doing".

Eggnog, I use an iPad ... mostly to handle my own secretarial duties.... [¶] Unfortunately, I can't - and wouldn't care to - use the iPad for my "heavy lifting" at this point, since that requires the use of full-featured versions of Autodesk & Adobe CS5 Master Suite products, which call for a PC or notebook of some sort. So maybe that's what Moshe had in mind instead of secretarial stuff when he said "serious work".

@Goshawk wrote:

I use my iPad to view autoCad files and 3d models while at a install site during construction.

@djeggnog wrote:

I believe@SweetBabyCheezits believes the iPad to be unsuitable for AutoCAD files, but maybe you can help him ease into the use of one for DWGs and DXFs.

@djeggnog wrote:

One other question: If AutoCAD or CS5 were among the apps populating a Citrix farm, would you be unable to use Citrix Receiver, which is a universal app that runs on the iPad, to run either of these [apps]?

Possible or not, I really don't know. I know it's possible to hammer a nail with fist-sized rock but I tend walk away bleeding and swearing by the time it's done.

Goshawk, don't mind Egg, he just likes to misrepresent what other people say to cover over his own stupid remarks. Nowhere did I write or otherwise imply the iPad wouldn't make an excellent viewer. A buddy of mine uses it onsite every week and loves it. It seems like a fantastic application of the iPad in the field.

What are your thoughts on iCAD Professional, the app that runs on the iPad? Helluva viewer, huh? And then there's cadTouch, which is not as expensive as iCAD Professional, but it's some viewer, innit?

Egg, my actual words are indelibly written in this same thread. Go back and re-read it. I said my work"requires full-featured versions of Autodesk & Adobe CS5 Master Suite products", not just a viewer.

Right, and, yes, I did read the "indelibly written" words to which you refer here in this very thread. I note that you again used the word, "viewer," and while the display of a 3Dcreation is admittedly the primary use of iCAD Professional, permitting users to view the measurements within a model and to share 3D models and CAD designs, even sending screen shots of these via email, it also permits scene customizations, light and background adjustments and onscreen markup. iCAD Professional is said to work with all major CAD and 3D animation packages, and allows onscreen drawing to markup models, hide parts and change the center of rotation. It is also said to provide standard orthographic views, scene customization, color editing and textures, and Dropbox integration (for supported files).

You said "my work," as in your work, requires the use of Autodesk Inventor and Adobe CS5, but where did you get the idea that anyone was talking about your work? @moshe didn't use the phrase, "heavy lifting"; you used this phrase, not @moshe. You decided that "maybe" @moshe's use of "full-featured versions" of Autodesk Inventor and Adobe CS5 was what he had in mind when he opined that "[s]erious work that you need done in a timely fashion requires a PC or a laptop." Does @moshe use full-featured versions of Autodesk Inventor and Adobe CS5? Maybe he does, but I wouldn't have had any way to have known this, but assuming that @moshe does use AutoCAD or CS5, I wonder what success he has had using either of these apps with Citrix Receiver, a universal app that runs on the iPad. Do you know?

I recall that when I asked you about using Citrix Receiver on the iPad, but you were clueless. Your response was, "I really don't know" and then went on to wax philosophically about the possibility of using a "fist-sized rock" to "hammer a nail" or some such nonsense. I assume you are also aware, @SBC, that you can use the iPad to remotely access whatever "memory-intensive and processor-demanding apps you may be running on the Windows desktop. Then again, perhaps you are not aware and have difficulty wrapping your mind around what I'm saying to you here.

Now those of us with an education don't typically have any need to pick up a pick or an ax or a shovel, or engage in any real "heavy lifting" unless we happen to be married to a slave-driving wife that forces us to rent a mini-rooter from Home Depot to open up the clean-out and snake it (to dislodge or remove whatever it is that was flushed, causing the sewer line back up) for her sister, whose husband freaks out and shuts down whenever he hears the word "snake" because he was rooked by a plumber that charged him $750 to do what his brother-in-law would have (allegedly!) done for free.

You read in this thread that Goshawk was using his iPad "to view autoCad files and 3d models," but I suppose you don't regard Goshawk's work to be "serious work," believing what he does with his iPad to be "secretarial work" since he's not using a PC or a laptop, correct? And talk about spin, you go on to write:

While it's an awesome piece of hardware in it's own right, for some folks' needs, the iPad can't compete with a desktop or notebook PCs (including Macs) that are designed for memory-intensive and processor-demanding apps like Autodesk Inventor.

Who was it on here -- who was in this thread -- that raised as an issue the incomparability of the iPad when compared to PC desktops or notebook PCs (including Macs), but you? I responded to @moshe's comment to the effect that "[s]erious work ... requires a PC or a laptop" and how "tablets are more for 'looking' than 'doing.,' and I note that he said nothing about any "memory-intensive and processor-demanding apps like Autodesk Inventor." There was no way you could have known that by @moshe's mention of "serious work" that he had in mind using "Autodesk Inventor," "Autodesk Inventor" or "Adobe CS5" on a Mac or on a Windows PC or notebook PC. None of there apps you named in this thread are designed to run on the iPad, so why did not go out of your way to make this strawman argument? Who was in this thread that sought to compare the iPad with apps designed to be run on PC desktops or notebook PCs but you?

If I'm understanding correctly all of this nonsense you've handed me here, @SBC, (1) you were able to read @moshe's mind, and this is how you knew what @moshe had in mind when he indicated that "secretarial stuff" isn't really "serious work" -- no way! -- and (2) you are suggesting to me that what @moshe had in mind you also had in mind when you read what he wrote, because you knew @moshe had in mind his use of "full-featured versions" of Autodesk Inventor and Adobe CS5, is that what you expect me to believe? Do you know how stupid you sound?

Let's say I bill my time out at $50/hour -- actually I'm an LDA and I bill my time out at almost $100/hour, but let's just use $50/hour -- does the work I do not qualify in your opinion as "serious work"? What if you forgot you were supposed to make an appearance in court on a moving violation, and so, after being pulled over by a police officer for making a left turn at an intersection where no left turns are permitted between the hours of 7AM and 9AM (and you made one at 8:45AM that caught the officer's attention!), you are arrested pursuant to a bench warrant issued pursuant to your non-appearance on that previous infraction you had forgotten, taken into custody and are now in lock-up needing a magistrate to set a reasonable bail for the previous moving violation and for this new infraction, since the $2,500 bail now given you by the police that would have effected your release is too high? A typical scenario in my world.

The city attorney won't reduce the bail, so I make two calls using the Ooma app on my iPad: One, to contact my client and partner, who is an attorney, to come to court for your bail hearing (LDAs cannot represent their clients in court) to obtain a reduction in the $2,500 bail and, two, to call your wife on the phone to let her know what's going with you and to give her the address of the police precinct so that she can meet me there and to tell her to bring money. After a quick appearance by the attorney, I'm stuck waiting at the court for your wife to appear with a check for $1,100, from which I have to pay your bail, which has been reduced to$500, and to pay the attorney and me for his work and my "secretarial work."

Before you left the police station with your wife, I prepared a retainer agreement using my iPad that contains a facsimile of the attorney's signature for your signature, and then printed the document on the portable wireless printer I carry in my bag from my iPad before I paid your bail. Now many people have ended up losing their jobs after maybe a week of their not having shown up for work, so what if it's the case that they haven't shown up for a whole month? What would your wife think about you being locked up in a cage for a month?

What is more, what would your own children think upon seeing their father in court after spending roughly a month in the county jail? (No, you don't get to stay at the police department; your temporary home away from home will be county jail and maybe you come out walking a little funny (with a limp) and maybe your kids will be able to recognize their jerk of a father with a completely new attitude!) How rosy do you think the job prospects are for people that get fired from their job for not showing up for work? How is life when you are denied unemployment benefits because you were involuntarily terminated (that is to say, fired) by your employer all because you forget you had a court date?

Please explain to me, @SBC, how all of the secretarial work that was done on an iPad to effect your admission to bail so that you wouldn't have to remain in custody for a month until your trial date is not "serious work" just because I'm not an engineer, nor an architect. When compared to Catia, isn't Autodesk Inventor for newbies anyway? I understand Autodesk Inventor is about as easy to use as Solidworks, but the latter is rather expensive when compared to the former if you're using it commercially.

Personally, I don't use AutoCAD at all; I don't render 3D drawings either. If you are facing foreclosure and do not wish to lose your home, if you want help defending against a speeding ticket, if you don't want to be in jail, if I need to print out a copy of the trial brief that you left behind at the office while we were on our way to court, if I need the print out a Substitution of Attorney or need to create a subpoena so that I might serve it on someone, I can't use Autodesk Inventor or Adobe CS5 Master Suite products. I still use a notebook PC at home and I sometimes use a netbook PC when in court (to communicate across the courtroom with the iPad), but I definitely make use of my iPad almost daily.

A big thanks to Egg for demonstrating that sarcasm is wasted on the stupid.

I am stupid, but I decided that I'm going to hear you out anyway.

... I think you might become a decent chap, even if you chose to continue believing crazy JW doctrine whilst cavorting with us wretched apostates on JWN.

@djeggnog wrote:

But I am a decent chap. What are you saying? Are you suggesting that I cannot choose my own religion unless you approve of the doctrines it teaches? I don't know what "crazy JW doctrines" even means. If you don't mind, please give me an example of just one such doctrine that you believe I embrace as one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Fair enough. How about the idea that a 2k year old Jew named Jesus - who supposedly healed the blind (by spitting in their eyes), walked on water, turned water to wine - rose from the dead himself and ascended to heaven so that he could direct a publishing company to define, and then REdefine, the term "generation" to suit their own purposes.

I learned by making calculations of some of the things I read in the Bible that when Jesus lived here on earth as a human being, he lived until he was 33 years old, not 2,000 years old, and I believe with God's power he was able to perform many miraculous works that none of us today could do more than scoff and doubt that these things actually occurred since none of us were alive then to dispute whether or not they occurred. The Bible does teach these things.

Jehovah's Witnesses teach Bible doctrines and they do not teach a doctrine that claims Jesus is directing the Society's operations here on earth from heaven, because the Bible nowhere teaches such a doctrine. Jehovah isn't directing the Society's operations here on earth either. Jehovah's Witnesses have not received divine inspiration from God -- none of us have -- but we rely upon the Bible to help us to properly interpret other Bible verses, since it is through the things we read in the Bible that the holy spirit speaks. I know this may be a hard concept for you (and many others like you). Recall that Jesus did say that "the spirit of the truth" would guide us into all the truth and that the spirit would "declare ... the things coming." (John 16:13)

As a result of what the holy spirit says at Exodus 1:6, Jehovah's Witnesses have come to realize that when Jesus used the words "this generation" at Matthew 24:34, he wasn't referring to the people that were living at the time to whom we had before 2010 interpreted the word "generation" to be applicable. There was no "generation of 1914," but there was "the generation of the sign" that was discerned when it began in 66 AD and ended four years later when the great tribulation came against the Jewish nation in 70 AD, from which calamity many Christians during the generation of that sign survived because they heeded the sign that Jesus provided at Luke 21:20 and left Judea and took flight to Perea, to the city of Pella some 954 miles away from Jerusalem. This generation lasted only four years and what occurred back in 70 AD, was but a type however.

The antitypical fulfillment of Jesus' words as to the generation of the composite visible sign that signaled the beginning of Jesus' invisible presence began in 1914 and "this generation" will end in a great tribulation from which calamity many Christians will also survive. Just as some of the anointed members of the temple class -- spiritual Israelites -- lived to see the beginning of the generation of the sign, some of the temple class will be alive to see the great tribulation when the generation of the sign comes to an end.

This generation of the sign has been evident for some 98 years, although Jehovah's Witnesses didn't become aware of that the sign has begun in 1914 until 1925 after we had made an examination of world events that had occurred since 1914. Consequently, we have abandoned our former interpretation of Matthew 24:34 and understand the "generation" at Matthew 24:34 to refer to "the generation of the sign" and have since 2010 abandoned our former interpretation of this verse wherein we understood there to be a "generation of 1914."

We have reinterpreted Matthew 24:34 for the purpose of championing Bible truth and nothing more. There are many things that Jehovah's Witnesses have come to understand after having gotten a lot of things wrong over the years, but it is our endeavor to pay close attention to what things the holy spirit says through God's word as world events unfold so as to be able to more correctly interpret the Bible and to help as many people as possible to come to a knowledge of the truth that they might be saved. BTW, @SBC, you're off-topic.

@djeggnog wrote:

While I believe I know what "douchebag" means, I'm not so sure that it would be proper on my part to guess that you meant by "douchebaggery," so if you don't mind -- I do realize you might mind -- but if you don't mind doing so, please tell me what you meant by this non-word so that in the future I won't have to guess what it was you meant by it. Thanks in advance.

For a technologically advanced ubermensch, I'd expect you to be a little more familiar with Google. Click the link below and just go with entry #3...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=douchebaggery

Maybe that's a bit harsh, even for you.

@djeggnog wrote:

I don't believe I asked you how online resources like the Urban Dictionary defined "douchebaggery." Don't you have your own mind, your own brain? Are you somehow tied to Google or other online resources so that you refuse to let your own brain think? Didn't you know what it was you meant? I don't need a lesson from you on the essentials you've come to learn about using a browser on the 'net (before the Google we know today existed, I used WebCrawler and Dogpile). I asked you what you meant by "douchebaggery"; I don't believe I stuttered.

Come on, Egg, for someone who presents himself as the badass intellectual antagonist of JWN, I'd expect you to have better research skills. Wait, do you want me to define "antagonist" for you as well? Or do you just need help when you can't find the definition within the boundaries of the WT Library?

Are you serious? I've been in the truth a whole lot longer than the WT Library has been made available to Jehovah's Witnesses, and, personally, I have electronic copies of all of our publications so that all I need is an index if I should wish to find something in an older article or book. I asked you to define your use of the word "douchebaggery," but you instead you directed me to Google and go on to provide a URL to a website when you could have just answered my question. And yet again you raise a strawman: Did I ask you at any time to define for me the word "antagonist"? If no, then why do you ask me such a question? Why won't you just answer my question and tell me what it was you meant by "douchebaggery"? I derive no joy from sparring with you.

@djeggnog wrote:

If one wishes to generate letters, pleadings, contracts, corporate minutes, medical databases/reports, accounting/billing reports, spreadsheets/charting, memos and faxes, the iPad can handle serious work quite well, but scanning/OCR, audio editing and video production work are "heavy lifting" tasks of a different sort that requires a PC. Someone -- I believe it was @SweetBabyCheezits -- mentioned his need to use AutoCAD on "a PC or laptop," but with the iPad 3's A5X processor and 2048x1536 resolution, I can imagine iPad apps handling 20MB drawings with aplomb. Both cadTouch and iCAD Professional are available for the iPad and iDesign is a universal app.

Well, see Egg, you DO know how to use a search engine!

I am familiar with many of the apps in Apple's AppStore, although I will probably never use them. I didn't have to conduct any research to find these apps. I have read many iPad-related articles.

But that doesn't mean those two apps are the solution to a much greater issue. Like I said - and I am [completely] sincere about this - if you can suggest a plausible means in which I can resort to an iPad only and still use my trackball for input, dual 24" screens, and the same bandwidth I have when connected to a gigabit ethernet network, and run full versions (not just light apps or viewers) of Autodesk and Adobe Creative Suite software, I'll ditch the desktop and notebook.

No one said a thing about using an iPad with Autodesk Inventor or Adobe CS5 or any other software that you might be running on your Windows OS-powered PC. What you are saying to me here would only make sense, in part, were you to use a Remote Desktop app on an iPad to use these Windows PC apps. I say "in part" because what doesn't make any sense is that you are now, with this latest message of yours, talking about using a trackball with the iPad, dual 24" screens and have the same bandwidth over a wireless network that you would have "when connected to a gigagbit ethernet network." No one said anything in this thread about trackballs and 24" screens but you.

But, FWIW, I regularly peg out an i7 processor and utilize all 12GB of RAM on my main editing computer.

I don't think what things you have said here are worth anything at all. This is just bloviation on your part and I suspect it was for this reason you joined this thread. If you are trying to make it appear to those reading this thread that you are a smart bloke, your efforts here didn't work on me. You have come off here to me as being rather silly, insecure and immature with a complex that seems to drive you to wanting to prove to others than you're a smart guy or just a guy. Good luck with that! It wouldn't matter to me if you were a woman. I'd still regard you as being a silly, insecure and immature individual until you decided to change your behavior.

@moshe:

Well,like I said, for some reason you are acting pretty chummy with the "enemy"-

I don't regard any of the people on JWN as my enemies. I don't know any of you personally, and I may not ever get to meet any of you. Contrary to what many of you on here thinks, no one can control me or force me to violate my conscience by me kowtowing to do or not do things that someone else's conscience might permit them to do. If any of you should regard me as your enemy just because I may have different religious beliefs than you have, then I am your enemy, but this fact won't make any of you here my enemy.

@djeggnog

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

I have an iPad and use it daily but I need my iMac for work. I couldn't do anything work wise on an iPad but it's useful for what it is.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I've got the Pages app which I find is excellent. I've also got Dropbox and am starting to get the hang of it. I ordered and received a keyboard with cover but I've returned it because the keys were just so ridiculously tiny it was unusable for me. Thank you for all tips.

Loz x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit