Anyone here use a tablet computer

by maksym 56 Replies latest jw friends

• moshe
    moshe

Serious work that you need done in a timely fashion requires a PC or a laptop- tablets are more for "looking" than "doing".

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@maksym:

I have noticed that people using tablet computers are finding them more handy and useful than what they previously though they would.

This is true.

[T]hese tablet computers are great for many things but the specialty functions of a desktop or laptop are needed to get down into tasks that require more hardware or software performance.

Ok.

I have decided to wait until fall of this year so that I can use a tablet computer on the next school year. I will purchase one then.

Ok. As you know, Apple launched its iPad 3 today and it looks great. It'll look just as great in the fall, too.

Speaking of flash. I know that flash is on [its] way out but we seem to be in the transition period now.

How do you know that flash is on its way out? Does Abode know this? I don't believe Abode has decided to either drop development of or end support for its Abode AIR product.

Even Microsofts Metro and Windows 8 will not cater to flash and will be using HTML5.

Microsoft had sought to implement its own version of Java in the Windows OS, which infringed upon Sun's cross-platform Java implementation, and it ended up being on the losing side of the now infamous antitrust lawsuit back in the late 90s known as US v. Microsoft in which the Hon. Thomas Penfield Jackson, in 1999, found that Microsoft had abused its monopoly power, and it will likely be unable to dictate its will to remove support for flash under Metro and Windows 8 despite its plan to remove browser plugin support and orphan the millions of cross-platform applications that exist. There's no way that flash will not be supported under Windows 8 in Internet Explorer 10, but Metro? Maybe.

I also noted that most people who have never used Apples products really seem to like the Ipad whereas before they would not have considered it due to faithfulness and familiarity with Linux or Microsoft products. [¶] I think Android will improve and I'm guessing we will have two rivals competing in the "post pc" era, much like Microsoft and Apple compete in the pc era.

Well, at least Apple and Android will be strong competitors as more and more tablet markets emerge.

Thanks again for that information you posted.

No problem.

@moshe:

Serious work that you need done in a timely fashion requires a PC or a laptop- tablets are more for "looking" than "doing".

"Serious work ... requires a PC or a laptop"? Really?!?

Just two weeks ago I had occasion to generate an "Ex Parte Application for Order Staying Enforcement of Writ of Execution for Possession and Shortening Time for Hearing on Defendant’s Motion to Set Aside and Vacate Default Judgment; Declarations of <former titleholder>, <tenant of former titleholder> and <attorney of record>; Memorandum of Points and Authorities in Support Thereof" on my iPad in, say, about 15 minutes, and saved that text document to Dropbox while sitting as a passenger in a moving car on the two-hour trip from Los Angeles to a Riverside court early one morning.

This document is a special template I created for use on the iPad that contains formatting elements often used in such documents, like center and double indent, attributes, like bold and italics, and also footnotes, signature blocks and footers, and boilerplate skeletal text. I then use one of the Remote Desktop apps installed on my iPad to wirelessly connect to the office PC using a portable cellular router (either the Mobile Hotspot Elevate 4G powered by AT&T or the Cradlepoint PHS300 with a cellular modem powered by Verizon), where I thereupon generate an eight-page pleading based on that Dropbox document, which saves the resulting completed 28-line pleading, convert it to a PDF file and send it to my email address all in about three minutes. If I'm going too fast for you here, then I suggest you try reading a bit slower.

I then open up the email I sent myself to see what the resulting document looks like and then copy the text of the PDF file to my iPad's clipboard manager, where I open a new text document in, let's just say, one of the other iPad apps I use to edit text. I switch between the PDF document and this other iPad app to make whatever corrections I need to make to the document, and when I'm done, I save just the paragraphs that contain the modifications I've made to Dropbox. This might take another five minutes, maybe seven or eight minutes.

I use my Remote Desktop app to wirelessly connect to the office PC again, where I open both the previously saved document and the second Dropbox document to substitute the modified paragraphs with the corresponding paragraph in the document I'm editing. Then, after inserting appropriate hash marks on the blank lines in my pleading (not the "hash tags" as are used on Twitter, but the "hash marks" that are often used in pleadings), I generate what turns out to still be an eight-page pleading, and then save the resulting completed 28-line pleading, plus a second document to which I've added the attorney's electronic signature, then convert each to a PDF file and send both as an email to my email address all in about five minutes.

I then open up the first pleading attached to this second email I sent myself and send this PDF document to my portable wireless printer (HP H470wbt) using a portable cellular router (the printer is in the back seat of the car) and in about ten minutes or so, I have produced a document ready to be filed this morning after we get our clients' signatures on it.

My attorney "partner," who is really one of my clients, for whom I sometimes do witness prep or provide assistance in court, such as keeping track of the exhibits that have been marked for identification and taking live notes of witness testimony during post foreclosure eviction trials where we represent the defense with a view to keeping folks from being unlawfully evicted from their homes in order to find conflicting testimony on which we might want to explore during cross-examination, is going to be meeting his clients at the courthouse. Now you might opine that trying to keep people from being unlawful evicted from and losing their homes to foreclosure that before the housing crisis dramatically reduced home prices were valued at $500K to $1.5M doesn't constitute "serious work," @moshe, but perhaps your working definition for "serious" is somewhat different than mine.

So the plan this morning is to run over to a photocopy center to make copies after they have signed the respective declarations contained in this document, and then come back to the courthouse to file it. BTW, I could just as well have used the app I installed on my iPhone to scan just the signed pages and print those pages on my printer, but, in this case, it is more convenient to just drive over to the photocopy center and make copies of the signed document there. The wireless printer has a small footprint and is now tucked away in my briefcase, but rather than "untuck" it and run back to the car to get paper... I'm sure you get my drift here.

The very last thing that must be done is to send the pleading via fax since this is an ex parte motion and the opposing law firm upon whom service needs to be made was informed telephonically about this motion the day before and so is expecting to receive it now, so I send the second pleading attached to my second email that contains the electronic signature, a PDF document, to the opposing law firm via fax; none of the declarations in the pleading require a signature are necessary for this fax. Note that none of this was done using a notebook PC, but was done using an iPad. For the remainder of the ride to this Riverside court, I go on to edit a few other documents using GoToMyPC using another PC in the office.

The iPad may be used in court (sometimes at home, but mostly in court) as a telestrator to send whatever is being displayed on the iPad (like a few select paragraphs from a deed of trust or a substitution of trustee or maybe a citation from one of the appellate cases that we are arguing before the court to buttress our position by way of defense during a trial) to a 40-inch LCD tv screen to point to or circle certain words in a document or to maybe use bold or color to highlight the reasoning of the court of appeal in a particular case.

I also use the iPad to mirror whatever it is I want to display from a netbook PC, so that no issue that we need to cover during trial, either during cross-examination or during final argument, is missed to protect our client's rights on appeal should the judge we draw be enamored with the bank and seems to not know the difference between an unlawful detainer action where a landlord sues for possession, and an unlawful detainer action where, in California, a foreclosing beneficiary (typically a bank) sues the former titleholder for possession based on a power of sale embodied in a deed of trust, so that as a result we end up losing at trial, and our client is forced us to appeal yet another foreclosure eviction in California in favor of a trustee not named in the deed of trust and not substituted in by the lender pursuant to a properly recorded substitution of trustee.

The netbook and iPad are networked via a portable cellular router, making it possible for me to wirelessly communicate with the attorney at the counsel table from anywhere in the courtroom from the netbook without any need on my part or his to walk up to the counsel table to deliver one or more notes during the trial (which can be distracting) to inform the attorney that a witness he is expecting had just gotten off the freeway and will be arrive in ten minutes so that he can stall for ten minutes, and because the iPad has a virtual keyboard and mouse that permits the attorney to wirelessly communicate with me from the counsel table clear across the courtroom to tell me how clueless the judge is on the law, or whatever.

There are times when a notebook PC is needed to access the data on a cdrom, but nowadays we copy image cdroms to a SDHC (FAT32) cards for images less than 4GB or SDXC (exFAT) cards for images larger than 4GB in lieu of cdroms, considering that the cdrom in your notebook may only be able to handle DVD-5s (4.7GB single-sided, single layer), and not any of the other DVD formats, like the DVD-9s (8.54GB single-sided, single layer), DVD-10s (9.4GB double-sided, single layer), DVD-14s (13.24GB double-sided, single layer one side, dual layer, the other side) or DVD-18s (17.08GB double sided, dual layer). Also, many notebook PCs do not come with SDHC slots, so you would need an adapter, whereas such slots come standard with most netbooks, and considering the fact that a 32GB SDHC card has a storage capacity much larger than DVD-18s, it makes so much more sense to image all of your cdroms to a 32GB SDHC card or better(!) to a 128GB SDXC card.

The laptop, even the notebook PC, your cdrom and your cds and dvds,and all such things will soon be in the past, son. This is now the 21st century. There should be no doubt that we are living in a post-PC world, where devices, like the netbook emerges as the holdover from the PC. For things that iOS devices like the iPad cannot yet do, there is the netbook, but for most of the things we have been doing and are doing on electronic devices, the tablet has become the future and is now like the gasoline-powered, fossil-fuel burning, oil consuming air quality irritants that used to be the automobile will soon become extinct as the electric car has become our future and is now.

I don't say you're a fossil or that you're ignorant, @moshe. You're just terribly uninformed as quite frankly are many of the people here on JWN when it comes to the things that pertain to God's organization and the more important spiritual matters. "Serious work ... requires a PC or a laptop"?

I think there may be hope for you, provided you endeavor to be a bit more lowly in mind than you project, and perhaps exercise a bit of humility than this statement of yours suggests is in you, since as arrogant as you may believe this to be, if I'm not older than you, sir, I'm extremely more intelligent than you are with respect to technology, and you would do well to just simply be resolved to never again say what you said to me here to anyone. Please believe me when I say that you could learn a lot from me if you would only arrest in you the urge to speak when you really should listen.

@djeggnog

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I have just got a Dock for my Ipad and it has become even more functional, its now a spare PC screen, so revising for my exams, it has become a screen to drop all the reference books, pages onto.

The dock itelf (doss ipad 2 dock) is fantastic itself, has a great speaker, holds the Ipad really well too.

• Notreadytorun
    Notreadytorun

i have an ipad2, love it, great toy - used it at meeting for first time the other night. Its not frowned upon (so u can discreetly play angry birds or read your bble/ other literature on it.... hehe)

Since Im new and cant seem to start a thread.... now does one do that??

Also how to I edit my profile to put in a bio & pic?

Ta

"Notready"

• Notreadytorun
  • moshe
    moshe

I'll bet those Ipad apps weren't made on an Ipad, were they?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Dang Eggnog, I have to say I'm rather impressed.

Josie *taking a good hard look at her iPad*

• maksym
    maksym

Fantastic djeggnog!

The ipad3 (the new ipad) is looking great. I just don't have the resources to buy it right now. I need to wait until the fall. I also think the ios system will be stronger and probably be to ios version 6 by then.

I'm impressed with the keynote address today.

Now if Microsoft would just port Office to the thing it would be a slam dunk for traditional business owners that are familar with that software.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Thanks for the great info here ...it's helped to convince me to invest in the Ipad 3 hopefully by next month. Friends at Uni using the Ipad 2 this year seem to have found it not just adequate but preferable to their laptops. The portability and battery life make it so useful for me. I'm sold. Would be good if this thread could be kept going.

Loz x

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I'm going to show this thread to my hubby. I told him about Eggnog's impressive post and he wants to read it for himself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit