Anyone here use a tablet computer

by maksym 56 Replies latest jw friends

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    Eggnog: I don't say you're a fossil or that you're ignorant, @moshe. You're just terribly uninformed as quite frankly are many of the people here on JWN when it comes to the things that pertain to God's organization and the more important spiritual matters. "Serious work ... requires a PC or a laptop"?
    Eggnog(@moshe): I think there may be hope for you, provided you endeavor to be a bit more lowly in mind than you project, and perhaps exercise a bit of humility than this statement of yours suggests is in you, since as arrogant as you may believe this to be, if I'm not older than you, sir, I'm extremely more intelligent than you are with respect to technology, and you would do well to just simply be resolved to never again say what you said to me here to anyone. Please believe me when I say that you could learn a lot from me if you would only arrest in you the urge to speak when you really should listen.

Oh brother.

Eggnog, I use an iPad as a great utility for my side business, including Dropbox for syncing/accessing docs, and apps for drawing up contracts/releases, getting them signed, emailing the PDF to a customer. Of course there are the other tools at my disposal like remote desktop, Square app for accepting credit cards, an app for scanning biz cards to contacts, etc... Anyway, it's a fantastic tool but I use it mostly to handle my own secretarial duties... you know, like the tasks you describe in your dissertation above?

Unfortunately, I can't - and wouldn't care to - use the iPad for my "heavy lifting" at this point, since that requires the use of full-featured versions of Autodesk & Adobe CS5 Master Suite products, which call for a PC or notebook of some sort. So maybe that's what Moshe had in mind instead of secretarial stuff when he said "serious work".

What I'm suggesting is that you take a bit of your own medicine: Try not to be an arrogant prick just because someone suggests that "serious work" or "heavy lifting" still calls for a PC or laptop. Their idea of serious work and your idea of serious work may not be the same.

Also, you might consider yourself a "power user" but, for the love of humanity, don't think you're a technological god just because some JWN members are less technologically inclined. That's pure douchebaggery.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

My 3rd generation Ipad is now on its way! Excited!

Loz x

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@moshe wrote:

Serious work that you need done in a timely fashion requires a PC or a laptop- tablets are more for "looking" than "doing".

@djeggnog wrote:

"Serious work ... requires a PC or a laptop"? Really?!? ...

I'm extremely more intelligent than you are with respect to technology, and you would do well to just simply be resolved to never again say what you said to me here to anyone. Please believe me when I say that you could learn a lot from me if you would only arrest in you the urge to speak when you really should listen.

@SweetBabyCheezits wrote:

Eggnog, I use an iPad as a great utility for my side business, including Dropbox for syncing/accessing docs, and apps for drawing up contracts/releases, getting them signed, emailing the PDF to a customer. Of course there are the other tools at my disposal like remote desktop, Square app for accepting credit cards, an app for scanning biz cards to contacts, etc... Anyway, it's a fantastic tool but I use it mostly to handle my own secretarial duties....

Unfortunately, I can't - and wouldn't care to - use the iPad for my "heavy lifting" at this point, since that requires the use of full-featured versions of Autodesk & Adobe CS5 Master Suite products, which call for a PC or notebook of some sort. So maybe that's what Moshe had in mind instead of secretarial stuff when he said "serious work".

Yes, maybe "heavy lifting" is what @moshe had in mind, his use of full-featured versions of Autodesk AutoCAD and Adobe CS5. I didn't realize that this is what he meant by "serious work." My bad.

What I'm suggesting is that you take a bit of your own medicine: Try not to be an arrogant prick just because someone suggests that "serious work" or "heavy lifting" still calls for a PC or laptop.

What if the PC or the laptop should be a Mac or a Linux box? Would @moshe's use of the phrase "serious work" or your phrase "heavy lifting" also be applicable to other OSes as well? I really want to make sure that I avoid being "an arrogant prick."

Their idea of serious work and your idea of serious work may not be the same.

Well, what is your idea of "serious work"? Perhaps if I understand how you define this concept, I would better understand what you mean by "heavy lifting," since I don't want to wrongly assume that what @moshe means by "serious work" is what you mean by "serious work," if by "serious work" he doesn't mean AutoCAD or CS5. One other question: If AutoCAD or CS5 were among the apps populating a Citrix farm, would you be unable to use Citrix Receiver, which is a universal app that runs on the iPad, to run either of these app?

Also, you might consider yourself a "power user" but, for the love of humanity, don't think you're a technological god just because some JWN members are less technologically inclined. That's pure douchebaggery.

Are you jealous of me? From where exactly is this angst you have toward me coming? Is it because you don't like the way in which I spoke to your "little brother" or what? I'm sorry, but I thought @moshe was an adult and was fully capable of speaking for himself (as he has done in several threads in which he and have been involved in the past). Apparently you weren't aware that @moshe and I have a little history here on JWN or that my missive was the result of the attitude he has expressed toward me in the past. Am I to understand that you are of the opinion that before I say anything at all to your "little brother" in the future that I must take care to run past you whatever it is I want to say to @moshe?

You also do not seem to be aware, @SBC, that I say what I want to say to anyone I wish without exception in whatever manner I choose to express my points of view, taking care to not violate forum guidelines. I'm now so sure that it would be proper on my part to guess that you meant by "douchebaggery," so if you don't mind -- I do realize you might mind -- but if you don't mind doing so, please tell me what you meant by this word so that in the future I won't have to guess. Thanks in advance.

@Lozhasleft:

Would the iPad 3 be your first iPad?

@djeggnog

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

Duplicate post with modifications (where indicated in red).

@moshe wrote:

Serious work that you need done in a timely fashion requires a PC or a laptop- tablets are more for "looking" than "doing".

@djeggnog wrote:

"Serious work ... requires a PC or a laptop"? Really?!? ...

I'm extremely more intelligent than you are with respect to technology, and you would do well to just simply be resolved to never again say what you said to me here to anyone. Please believe me when I say that you could learn a lot from me if you would only arrest in you the urge to speak when you really should listen.

Eggnog, I use an iPad as a great utility for my side business, including Dropbox for syncing/accessing docs, and apps for drawing up contracts/releases, getting them signed, emailing the PDF to a customer. Of course there are the other tools at my disposal like remote desktop, Square app for accepting credit cards, an app for scanning biz cards to contacts, etc... Anyway, it's a fantastic tool but I use it mostly to handle my own secretarial duties....

Yes, maybe "heavy lifting" is what @moshe had in mind, his use of full-featured versions of Autodesk AutoCAD and Adobe CS5. I didn't realize that this is what he meant by "serious work." My bad.

What I'm suggesting is that you take a bit of your own medicine: Try not to be an arrogant prick just because someone suggests that "serious work" or "heavy lifting" still calls for a PC or laptop.

What if the PC or the laptop should be a Mac or a Linux box? Would @moshe's use of the phrase "serious work" or your phrase "heavy lifting" also be applicable to other OSes as well? I really want to make sure that I avoid being "an arrogant prick."

Their idea of serious work and your idea of serious work may not be the same.

Well, what is your idea of "serious work"? Perhaps if I understand how you define this concept, I would better understand what you mean by "heavy lifting," since I don't want to wrongly assume that what @moshe means by "serious work" is what you mean by "serious work," if by "serious work" he doesn't mean AutoCAD or CS5. By "serious work," @moshe would seem to me to be of the belief that "tablets are more for 'looking' than 'doing'." One other question: If AutoCAD or CS5 were among the apps populating a Citrix farm, would you be unable to use Citrix Receiver, which is a universal app that runs on the iPad, to run either of these app?

Are you jealous of me? From where exactly is this angst you have toward me coming? Is it because you don't like the way in which I spoke to your "little brother" or what? I'm sorry, but I thought @moshe was an adult and was fully capable of speaking for himself (as he has done in several threads in which he and I have been involved in the past). Apparently you weren't aware that @moshe and I have a little history here on JWN or that my missive was the result of the attitude he has exhibited toward me in the past. Am I to understand that you are of the opinion that before I say anything at all to your "little brother" in the future that I must take care to run past you whatever it is I want to say to @moshe?

You also do not seem to be aware, @SBC, that I say what I want to say to anyone I wish without exception in whatever manner I choose to express my points of view, taking care to not violate forum guidelines. While I believe I know what "douchebag" means, I'm not so sure that it would be proper on my part to guess that you meant by "douchebaggery," so if you don't mind -- I do realize you might mind -- but if you don't mind doing so, please tell me what you meant by this non-word so that in the future I won't have to guess what it was you meant by it. Thanks in advance.

@Lozhasleft:

Would the iPad 3 be your first iPad?

@djeggnog

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I get a whole lot done on my iPad: word processing, email, Internet. The only thing I have used a laptop for is taking online exams. I just can't quite trust that the iPad will be totally compatible with the university's site for taking tests. I don't want to risk my grades!

If you can only have one computer/device in your home, get a laptop. If you can afford both a desktop and an iPad/tablet, go for that.

• Goshawk
    Goshawk

I use my iPad to view autoCad files and 3d models while at a install site during construction.

BTW

This site looks great on the iPad.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    eggnog: Are you jealous of me? From where exactly is this angst you have toward me coming?

You got me, DJ. It's jealousy. Specifically, I wish I had your massive.... ego. I spend hours dreaming about how badass it must be to lug that thing around and whip it out in public and have women and children gasp at how taken you are with yourself.

Orrrr it could be the angst stems from your attitude, which is repulsive. To quote the forum's own N.Drew, I don't like you. If you could stand back and see yourself, I think you'd want to kick your own ass. And if you would only follow through, I think you might become a decent chap, even if you chose to continue believing crazy JW doctrine whilst cavorting with us wretched apostates on JWN. But I don't see you taking a more accurate assessment of yourself anytime soon.

You also do not seem to be aware, @SBC, that I say what I want to say to anyone I wish without exception in whatever manner I choose to express my points of view, taking care to not violate forum guidelines.

Hahaha, yeah, we are all well aware, DJ. You're cleaning up this forum, one sassy post at a time.

While I believe I know what "douchebag" means, I'm not so sure that it would be proper on my part to guess that you meant by "douchebaggery," so if you don't mind -- I do realize you might mind -- but if you don't mind doing so, please tell me what you meant by this non-word so that in the future I won't have to guess what it was you meant by it. Thanks in advance.

For a technologically advanced ubermensch, I'd expect you to be a little more familiar with Google. Click the link below and just go with entry #3...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=douchebaggery

Maybe that's a bit harsh, even for you.

eggnog: If AutoCAD or CS5 were among the apps populating a Citrix farm, would you be unable to use Citrix Receiver, which is a universal app that runs on the iPad, to run either of these app?

Possible or not, I really don't know. I know it's possible to hammer a nail with fist-sized rock but I tend walk away bleeding and swearing by the time it's done.

I think the biggest question for me is would it be practical? Someday it may be that designers will use the iPad or some other tablet as a thin terminal to run high-end design/engineering software on a server. But today, if you give a damn about efficiency, it doesn't seem to be the right tool for the job. For my heavy lifting (graphical editing of different sorts), I need dual screens. Densely-packed pixels on a 10" screen, while gorgeous, just won't cut it. Forget AirPlay and the like.

I also need multiple inputs, including a USB input for a cult-favorite trackball. Even if those problems were resolved with BlueTooth input devices, I would expect a generous dose of lag. Again, the goal is to pick the right tool for the job and save time, money, and frustration.

I'm sure there are other obscacles I haven't considered (I'm a user, not a guru) but if you can overcome all of those hurdles, I would consider it.

If that wasn't the answer you were looking for, feel free to carry your question over to a Autodesk or Adobe pro forum and see what they think.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

This is my field, I make apps for iPhone/iPad and Android devices.

What I personally use is an iPhone for my day to day stuff, and an Asus Iconia a500 Tablet for when I'm mobile.

I did like BlackBerry for a while for email, but the new devices are more of a pain to use.

One of the nice things about an Android tablet is the ability to use it's memory as a giant USB stick. If you have movies, books, or other files you want to bring with you, it's not as simple getting them onto your iPad.

With an Android tablet, you can just plug it into your computer and transfer the files on or off.

I use my iPhone to share my internet access with my tablet and keep a bluetooth keyboard if I need to type something up.

The lack of Flash in mobile will become a nonissue soon. With growing support for HTML5 you'll have many media rich solutions for mobile devices. In fact I think eventually "apps" will start to get replaced by online solutions, but I figure that to be at least 2-3 years off.

What I suggest people do when considering a new phone or tablet is make a list of all the things they want to do, or envision themselves doing with it, then make sure they get a device that can handle it.

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@breakfast of champions:

I get a whole lot done on my iPad: word processing, email, Internet. The only thing I have used a laptop for is taking online exams. I just can't quite trust that the iPad will be totally compatible with the university's site for taking tests. I don't want to risk my grades!

I cannot agree with your conclusion. If one is more comfortable using a laptop PC, a notebook PC or even a desktop PC, then obviously one's comfort-level with a tablet would be a valid factor that leads the person to stay with what one has had a history and with something that has demonstrated reliability. However, the iPad never forgets whatever it was one was last working and wherever it was one was last working. Never. Unless one should be using an autosave utility on their PC, unless the PC's hibernate functionality is enabled and working, what hasn't been saved is always lost. Always.

If you can only have one computer/device in your home, get a laptop. If you can afford both a desktop and an iPad/tablet, go for that.

Don't be in a quandary over this: Borrow an iPad and take a sample exam on your school's website just to see how it goes. This exercise will probably not convince you to trust the iPad, but the purpose of this exercise is "just to see how it goes." I regularly connect to an online Windows 7 virtual desktop for testing purposes on which Win7 apps like Microsoft Office 2010 are available to iPad users like myself, and when I need to run another iPad app (maybe a badge has informed me about an email or a fax I just received on my iPad), but do not wish to save and close my Word 2010 document, I can abruptly leave my virtual desktop app, and when I next launch my virtual desktop, it opens with Word and my insertion point where I left it. I have no way of knowing how your university's website handles those of you with accounts that permit access to its online exams, but today's software developers have written some quality web apps, so I would expect tablets, like the iPad, to do as well as better than a PC.

If one wishes to generate letters, pleadings, contracts, corporate minutes, medical databases/reports, accounting/billing reports, spreadsheets/charting, memos and faxes, the iPad can handle serious work quite well, but scanning/OCR, audio editing and video production work are "heavy lifting" tasks of a different sort that requires a PC. Someone -- I believe it was @SweetBabyCheezits -- mentioned his need to use AutoCAD on "a PC or laptop," but with the iPad 3's A5X processor and 2048x1536 resolution, I can imagine iPad apps handling 20MB drawings with aplomb. Both cadTouch and iCAD Professional are available for the iPad and iDesign is a universal app.

Maybe I can afford to have a great imagination (since I have no need for AutoCAD apps in my work). I'm actually not sure what to make of @SBC's comment in equating what things attorneys do as "secretarial stuff" or how he knew what @moshe had in mind, when @moshe's only point, or so it seemed to me -- was that tablets were slower than PCs or laptops, and were "more for '"looking' than 'doing,'" than they are for doing any "serious work."

In my business, I need to be able to access data stored on cdroms, flash drives, SDHC/SDXC cards an external hard drives, so a PC, like the netbook PC I use, is necessary, but if ever Apple should provide an interface to its iOS devices that allow access to the data stored on peripherals, like the ones I mention here, I would probably only need a PC for forensic work to recover data from such devices (since the software I now use will probably not be suitable for as a "sandbox" app). I don't know.

@Goshawk:

I use my iPad to view autoCad files and 3d models while at a install site during construction.

I believe@SweetBabyCheezits believes the iPad to be unsuitable for AutoCAD files, but maybe you can help him ease into the use of one for DWGs and DXFs.

@djeggnog wrote:

Are you jealous of me? From where exactly is this angst you have toward me coming?

You got me, DJ. It's jealousy.

I knew it.

... I think you might become a decent chap, even if you chose to continue believing crazy JW doctrine whilst cavorting with us wretched apostates on JWN.

But I am a decent chap. What are you saying? Are you suggesting that I cannot choose my own religion unless you approve of the doctrines it teaches? I don't know what "crazy JW doctrines" even means. If you don't mind, please give me an example of just one such doctrine that you believe I embrace as one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

@djeggnog wrote:

While I believe I know what "douchebag" means, I'm not so sure that it would be proper on my part to guess that you meant by "douchebaggery," so if you don't mind -- I do realize you might mind -- but if you don't mind doing so, please tell me what you meant by this non-word so that in the future I won't have to guess what it was you meant by it. Thanks in advance.

For a technologically advanced ubermensch, I'd expect you to be a little more familiar with Google. Click the link below and just go with entry #3...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=douchebaggery

Maybe that's a bit harsh, even for you.

I don't believe I asked you how online resources like the Urban Dictionary defined "douchebaggery." Don't you have your own mind, your own brain? Are you somehow tied to Google or other online resources so that you refuse to let your own brain think? Didn't you know what it was you meant? I don't need a lesson from you on the essentials you've come to learn about using a browser on the 'net (before the Google we know today existed, I used WebCrawler and Dogpile). I asked you what you meant by "douchebaggery"; I don't believe I stuttered. Not to be harsh. Maybe I'll learn from reading your next post, if there should be a "next post" from you, if you have a reading comprehension problem caused by all of that heavy lifting you've done on your PC using AutoCAD and CS5.

@djeggnog wrote:

One other question: If AutoCAD or CS5 were among the apps populating a Citrix farm, would you be unable to use Citrix Receiver, which is a universal app that runs on the iPad, to run either of these app?

Possible or not, I really don't know. I know it's possible to hammer a nail with fist-sized rock but I tend walk away bleeding and swearing by the time it's done.

I'm done with this. You want to pretend to be smart, that's fine. (I feel as if I've been trying to have a dialogue with a child here.)

@Paralipomenon:

This is my field, I make apps for iPhone/iPad and Android devices.

What I personally use is an iPhone for my day to day stuff, and an Asus Iconia a500 Tablet for when I'm mobile.

Nice.

One of the nice things about an Android tablet is the ability to use it's memory as a giant USB stick. If you have movies, books, or other files you want to bring with you, it's not as simple getting them onto your iPad.

Well, I can stream movies from my PC to my iPad. I don't really do this, but I can do this. In another thread I provided links to a few flash shorts and flash movies that I can run on all iOS devices (i.e., iPhone, iTouch, iPad) and I can use Air Video to stream non-flash movies to these devices as well so if you have wifi (and I usually have a wifi in my pocket and 3G in my iPhone!), I don't think there's really a need to copy any of these movies to the iPad. I can also stream movies via the HBO GO and Netflix apps on my iPad. Watching movies requires a bit of time that I really don't have, so it may take me up to three weeks to watch a 90-minute movie to the end. I do take the time to watch CNN live or listen to a few radio broadcasts on my iPad though.

I use my iPhone to share my internet access with my tablet and keep a bluetooth keyboard if I need to type something up.

I like the fact that the iPhone can be set up as a hotspot to provide internet access to wifi only iPads and network connectivity to other devices (e.g., wireless printers).

The lack of Flash in mobile will become a nonissue soon.

Actually, the lack of flash on the iPad has been overcome by browsers like Skyfire and Puffin as I mentioned earlier in this thread.

What I suggest people do when considering a new phone or tablet is make a list of all the things they want to do, or envision themselves doing with it, then make sure they get a device that can handle it.

But how many people do you know that could actually compose such a list? I would say that most people that already have iPhones and iPads have no idea what these convergence devices can do. These folks bought them because they were great looking phones that doubled as iPods.

@djeggnog

• mP
    mP

typing on tablets more than a handful of words is a major annoyance. like others have said tabs are for watching and reading not writing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit