Cognitive Dissonance for Fundamenatlists

by leavingwt 128 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

I'm thinking Isaac looks far too calm under the circumstances.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Do you people realize the absurdity of this picture (not the art itself, the story behind it)!?!

As a parent, I'd tell him to go @#%$ himself. Then let him strike me dead.

• cofty
    cofty

What Yan Bibiyan said.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS makes it clear here that what holds them back from executing "apostates" is not their religious ethics but because secular governments forbid it. If these laws were not in place, then the WTS feels it would be "right".

w52 11/15 p.703***

We are not living today among theocratic nations where such members of our fleshly family relationship could be exterminated for apostasy from God and his theocratic organization, as was possible and was ordered in the nation of Israel in the wilderness of Sinai and in the land of Palestine. “Thou shalt surely kill him; thy hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. And thou shalt stone him to death with stones, because he hath sought to draw thee away from Jehovah thy God, . . . And all Israel shall hear, and fear, and shall do no more any such wickedness as this is in the midst of thee.”—Deut. 13:6-11, AS.

Being limited by the laws of the worldly nation in which we live and also by the laws of God through Jesus Christ, we can take action against apostates only to a certain extent, that is, consistent with both sets of laws. The law of the land and God’s law through Christ forbid us to kill apostates, even though they be members of our own flesh-and-blood family relationship.

------------

And can Chris'ts followers kill "apostates", yes. The WTS teaches that the anointed in heaven with fight side by side with Christ executing all non-jws.

• snare&racket
  • snare&racket
    snare&racket

You are never gonna get a clean cut whilst standing on your ass.....

• Sulla
    Sulla

Do you people realize the absurdity of this picture (not the art itself, the story behind it)!?!

As a parent, I'd tell him to go @#%$ himself. Then let him strike me dead.

Unlikely. Human sacrifice was pretty common at the time; indeed, for quite some time afterward (recall that the Carthaginians got some bad press for the practice before the Punic Wars). Actually, in plenty of cultures even well past the time of Christ.

So, you probably would have done what everybody did: slit the kid's throat and move on with your life.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Yep. Many cultures practiced some degree of human sacrifice. I guess the bronze aged god was really no different. Certainly not superior in any way---just your average, run-of-the-mill, blood thirsty god.

NC

• Sulla
    Sulla

NC, you make me smile when you are so charmingly clueless. I know a lot of charmingly clueless people and, if I knew you, I bet you'd be my favorite one of all!

Is there any point in reminding you that the moral is that you're not supposed to do human sacrifice? That, 15 centuries before Agamemnon slayed Iphigenia to get favorable winds to sail to Troy, or the king of Moab butchered his son on the city wall to appeal for divine help against the Israelites, the God of the Jews insisted that human sacrifice was wrong? This thing that every cuture everywhere since the beginning of time practied -- that is what you shouldn't do?

Probably not, because you have such industrial strength cluelessness. And it wasn't my point anyhow.

The point I was making is that anybody who thinks they are better than all those peole that simply doesn't have a grasp on the degree to which humanity has, historically speaking, always practiced human sacrifice or the degree to which plenty of people smarter than you and me thought it was perfectly logical and normal to practice it.

We are not better than those people. We are not smarter than them. We are not more morally pure. We happen to live in a different culture and, were we in that culture, we would have adopted the same attitudes and thinking that they did. To claim otherwise is simply moral preening. Which is what I said.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Sulla---I'm agreeing with you. Many cultures practiced human sacrifice, and it made total sense to them. Their gods required it. In that way, the bronze aged desert god was not any different, nor any more moral than all the religions around him. His religion is no more superior nor worse than what was normal for the day.

Remember how he sacrificed his son that one time to even out a cosmic balance sheet that he drew up? It makes total sense to the people that believe it was worth the outcome.

Sheesh---agree with you and I'm clueless----disagree with you and I'm clueless-----I'm starting to think that I'll never be able to make you respect me. *gasp* Oh well, I'll live with it. It certainly isn't worth sacrificing anyone over.

NC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit