Our door to door activities were a personal ministry and not recognised as representatives or volunteers of the Watchtower Bible And Tract Society

by smiddy 47 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Chariklo
    Chariklo
    Since 1985 I was under the impression that one of the baptismal questions is " being baptised identified you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses"

Yes, George, and when becoming an unbaptised publisher, it's emphasised that by doing so you will be identified as one of Jehovah's Witnesses. One is formally asked if one is willing to be so identified.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

This really isn't a new thought.

*** km 2/89 p. 3 Our Identification as Jehovah's Witnesses ***
    As ministers of the good news, we are known publicly as Jehovah's Witnesses. Our voluntary participation in the field service is motivated by love of God and neighbor. It is not carried on at the insistence of any man or organization but is according to our God-given commission to preach the "good news" and make disciples. (Matt. 24:14; 28:19, 20) Therefore, publishers do well to avoid representing themselves as agents or representatives of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc., or any other corporation used by "the faithful and discreet slave" to advance Kingdom interests.-Matt. 24:45-47.

I guess they legally covered their butt on this one 23 years ago.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Very interesting wannabefree.

Years ago we had WTS ID badges we used to carry. I cannot remember when they were phased out, maybe around this time?

George

• hotspur
    hotspur

I remember those ID badges. I think they disappeared around the mid 90's.

One thing sticks in my mind was that they did, at one time, double up as "No Blood" cards as well. I think the "No Blood" bit was printed on the reverse. It was like a double whammy, you just couldn't NOT have the one without the other!

"You want to be ID'd as a JW? Then you can't have any blood products - Here's your badge!"

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I believe it is a legal statement. Those called "Jehovah's Witnesses" do not have legal authority to bind the WT. I certainly suffered as a Witness. It triviliazes those known to be Jehovah's Witness. It is "Jehovah's Witnesses" as a trademark, rather than members of a religion. Volunteers? It felt like slave labor. They want their cake and to eat it, too.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

How do the GB sleep at night?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Am I right in thinking that this was communicated via a letter? I suppose a scan would be too much to hope for . . .

• moshe
    moshe

Indirectly the WT legal dept does give notice to JWs from time to time. Like back in the early 90's when they jerked the 1914 box out of the inside cover of the Awake magaine- the little box that promised the new order will arrive- before the 1914 generation passes away. The JWs were given notice that this "promise" was no longer being backed as a sure bet by the Gb and the WT corp. JWs could have done the sensible thing and said, "all righty then- I'm outta here!" But we know they didn't, did they?

• Ding
    Ding

If the publishers are not representatives or volunteers of the WTS, how come the WTS directs their activities and constantly requires written reports of field service hours and literature placement?

Why are the elders constantly riding JWs to do more so they can have better statistics to show the COs when they visit?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Does that not make one a member or representative of "The Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses". . .?

Say it does and say that point could be made in a court of law. The CCJW has NO assets. Go ahead, sue. Individual JWs are not reprsentatives of The Watchtower Society. All the property and $$$ are owned by WT. Thus the separation of the two entities several years ago. CCJW and WTS do NOT share officers or have any other "legal" connection. WTS owns property and publishes literature. Period. Nothing to do with the religious side of things.

WTS has very good lawyers.

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit