California Most Hated State, According To Recent Poll

by Bangalore 64 Replies latest jw friends

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    Our growth has slowed, as has Florida's. But it's still growth.

California's growth has 'flatlined,' Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom says at SLO event

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2012/02/24/1962131/gavin-newsom-chamber-of-commerce.html

California sees slowest growth since Depression

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/census/2011-03-09-rw_California09_ST_N.htm

Florida growth at ’06 levels, Philly Fed says

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/01/27/2610281/florida-growth-at-06-levels-philly.html

Florida growth outpaces national trend

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/census/2011-03-17-florida-census_N.htm

• designs
    designs

Arnold had the honor of being Gov. as the real estate bubble popped, its hard to know if he was good bad or just funny.

• Berengaria
  • Dagney
    Dagney

I wonder where the droves are moving out of? I could use a break.

Neighborhoods in a 70 mile radius of me are robust, very few houses for sale, the malls, grocery stores, Costco, restaurants are packed. Certain areas have changed from blue collar anglo to white collar asian, in large numbers. The streets on weekends are just packed in the city and suburbs with people out taking care of business.

I'm sure the numbers support what all the critics are saying, and certain industries have been hard hit, and it is expensive to do business here. But there is still a massive amount of commerce here. I'm by the port of LA/Long Beach...I'm not sure there is a busier port in the world. My niece just moved to Texas, her husband's family is there. She said rent is slightly less, but goods are more expensive that Cali. Since it is cold in the winter, their utility bills are higher than here. But the husband got work there, and only through a friend, and they couldn't get that going here in Cali.

Trade offs.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Good grief Burn are you hittin' the bottle already?? Make up your mind what you're talking about.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Me too Dag. Houses in the neighborhood are going up for sale, but being bought within days. For the asking price.

There are of course neighbors I know of who bought in the '05-'08 time period that are seriously underwater.

There's a tiny new development going in a few blocks away, and it's already about 1/3 sold.

• designs
    designs

Dagney- As long as there is Costco there are crowds. Sunday the line to get into Costco was a half mile backed up on the Freeway.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    LOL all well and good, but does not support your earlier comment

When I referenced migration, I meant within the country, and I didn't mean people looking for generous welfare bennies. My earlier comment is based on IRS tax data...so you know, that's people that actually file for taxes.

http://www.forbes.com/special-report/2011/migration.html

Besides, populations grow without immigration for reasons, like, say, having babies.

Really this isn't hard.

Texas seeing migration from California, New York

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2012/02/02/texas-seeing-migration-from.html

California Failing On A Winters Day

A review of financial health, standard of living, and government service data was conducted to determine how well each state is managed by 24/7 Wall St., LLC, a Delaware financial news and opinion company. According to their analysis, Wyoming is the best-run state in the nation, and California is the worst. California scored below average in every category except median household income—scoring last (tie with Texas) in high school graduation rates—and next to last in unemployment and foreclosure rate. California also has the worst credit rating, being the only state in the country to be rated A-, the lowest rating ever given to a state by S&P.

In another survey by 24/7 Wall St., government spending was examined to identify how much states spend on their residents. Naturally, those states that provide the most money and benefits to their residence have higher tax burdens. The analysis also finds that these states have particularly high costs of living. California is ranked 10th in providing money and benefits and ranks in the top ten for average pension benefits (8th), temporary assistance for needy families (TANF) per month (2nd), and number of months of TANF received (7th). Interestingly, the study finds that these states also have high levels of income inequality, despite the fact that the poor and the dispossessed receive the most from government services. According to this study, California has the 7th highest level of income inequality. This result is supported by a study conducted by the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities and the Economic Policy Institute, which finds the gap between California’s richest and poorest families to be the 8th largest in the nation, and the gap between the richest families and middle-class families to be the 3rd largest in the nation. This study finds the growth in income inequality in California since the late 1980s between the richest and poorest families to be the 18th largest, and 5th largest between the richest and middle-class families.

Altogether, Californians may be becoming increasingly dissatisfied by the poor performance of their state and are now “voting with their feet”. In their recent Geographical Mobility: 2011 Report, the US Census Bureau reveals that Californians are leaving California at a faster rate than residents leaving any other state. In fact, four out of the top ten most common state-to-state relocations from 2009 to 2010 were from California. These include California to Nevada (35,472 movers), Washington (39,468), Arizona (47,164), and the most common state move in the nation, California to Texas (68,959).

http://californiareview.net/2012/01/30/california-failing-on-a-winters-day/

Good grief Burn are you hittin' the bottle already?? Make up your mind what you're talking about.

Totally sober here. Why, you sloshed already?

• Dagney
    Dagney

Where was I, oh, N Orange Co last saturday. Getting in and out of a corner strip mall as almost impossible with the traffic. I grew up in this city, and it was just a quiet little burb at the LA border. I not sure what the population is compared to what it was in 1980, but it's nuts. The fields are now huge corporations...it has completely changed. There are a few old time streets left with those long driveways with multiple dwellings on them. But sheesh.

And it has a Costco, which was fought and fought by a evangelical church. The little restaurants were so successful there they now are big restaurants, run by families. Claim Jumper started there...don't have to tell you about what happened with them. BUT, as Brizzzy will confirm, the "Pasty" kitchen is still there making little meat pies, 40 years+.

I'm sure wherever they droves are leaving from, it is probably a place noone wants to live. I know the Salton Sea is in demise.

http://www.ppic.org/main/publication_show.asp?i=259

• Duderino
    Duderino

HOW POPULAR IS YOUR STATE?

Public Policy Polling has run an interesting series of surveys, asking Americans whether they have a favorable or unfavorable view of various states. The question strikes me as odd; it makes sense to have a favorable or unfavorable view of a state’s government, but of the state itself? I would say that I have a favorable opinion of all of the states.

As you might expect, the results show strong partisan trends: Republicans love Texas and dislike California, while Democrats love California and hate Texas. On the other hand, everyone likes Hawaii. The five most popular states, with their favorable/unfavorable numbers in parenthesis, are Hawaii (54/10), Colorado (44/9), Tennessee (48/14), South Dakota (42/8) and Virginia (45/13). The least popular include California (27/44), Illinois (19/29) and New Jersey (25/32).

There are some anomalies. Wisconsin (40/17) is significantly more popular than Minnesota (27/17). What is the difference? The only explanation I can think of is that Wisconsin’s sports teams have been better than Minnesota’s in recent years. Another odd fact: both liberals and conservatives like Minnesota, but moderates disapprove of the state. What could possibly be going on there?

There are a lot of interesting comparisons to be drawn, but one concerns me a little. The mountain states are almost universally popular. Colorado is the second most favorably viewed state, but most of the other mountain states are not far behind, e.g., Montana (39/7) and Idaho (30/11). The anomaly is Utah. At 24/27, it is the fifth-least favorably perceived state.

How can that be? If you like Colorado, Idaho and Montana, why would you dislike Utah? I can’t think of any reason other than anti-Mormon bias. This is borne out by the fact that liberals and Democrats, who are most prone to ethnic and religious bigotry, are the ones who actively dislike Utah. But the numbers are depressed across the board, compared with other mountain states: Republicans only approve of Utah by a 30/23 margin, Independents are the same at 29/23, and Democrats disapprove of the state by 14/32. Moreover, while the very liberal have an unfavorable opinion of Utah (21/43), so do the very conservative (25/32). The very conservative, on the other hand, love Idaho (36/6).

One wonders whether these numbers explain some of the dynamics of the current GOP primary season, and whether they suggest a lingering anti-LDS prejudice that could be a problem for Mitt Romney, if he is the Republican nominee, in November.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit