Died and came back with memories !

by oldflame 49 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I find the experiences of children who have had near death experiences to be more positive than Mert's.

Dr. Melvin Morse

Dr. Melvin Morse , M.D., is an Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Washington. He has studied near-death experiences in children for 15 years and is the author of several outstanding books on the subject: Closer to the Light , Transformed by the Light , Parting Visions , his latest book, Where God Lives . He is primarily interested in learning how to use the visions that surround death to heal grief. The stories that children have told him about what it is like to die have lessons for all of us, especially those attempting to understand the meaning of death or the death of a child.

In 1982, while a Fellow for the National Cancer Institute, Dr. Morse was working in a clinic in Pocatello, Idaho. He was called to revive a young girl who nearly died in a community swimming pool. She had had no heart beat for 19 minutes, yet completely recovered. She was able to recount many details of her own resuscitation, and then said that she was taken down a brick lined tunnel to a heavenly place. When Dr. Morse showed his obvious skepticism, she patted him shyly on the hand and said: "Don't worry, Dr. Morse, heaven is fun!."

The photo on the left is a drawing which depicts this young girl being resuscitated by his partner, Dr. Christopher, the doctor who is working on her. She has floated above her body, and met the seated figure. She told him that the seated figure "was Jesus. He is very nice."

He wrote up her case for the American Medical Association's Pediatric Journal as a "fascinoma", meaning a strange yet interesting case and returned to cancer research. One night he saw Elizabeth Kubler-Ross on television describing to a grieving mother what her child went through when she died. She said that the girl floated out of her body, suffered no pain, and entered into heaven. He thought this was quite unprofessional of a psychiatrist, and vowed to prove her wrong.

He and his colleagues at Seattle Children's Hospital designed and implemented the first prospective study of NDEs, with age and sex matched controls. He studied 26 children who nearly died. He compared them to 131 children who were also quite ill, in the intensive care unit, mechanically ventilated, treated with drugs such as morphine, valium and anesthetic agents, and often had a lack of oxygen to the brain, BUT, they were not near-death.

He found that 23/26 children who nearly died had NDEs whereas none of the other children had them. If NDEs are caused by a lack of oxygen to the brain, drugs, hallucinations secondary to coma, or stress and the fear of dying, then the control would have been expected to also have NDEs. They did not, indicating that NDEs happen to the dying.

He then completed the Seattle Study , a long term follow-up of children who had a NDE and documented their transformation as adults. He again used control groups, including children who nearly died but didn't have a NDE.

He found that having a NDE is good for you, resulting in a love for living. One girl summed up the transformation as learning that "life is for living and the light is for later."

Adults who had NDEs gave more money to charity than control subjects, volunteered in the community, were in helping professions, did not suffer from drug abuse, use many over-the-counter medications, and ate more fresh fruit and vegetables than control populations.

He also found that they often could not wear watches as they would mysteriously break, and often had electrical conduction problems such as shorting out lap top computers and erasing credit cards.

Finally, Dr. Morse studied the entire range of death related visions. He studied parents who had infants die of SIDS, and found that 25% of parents had a vivid premonition of the event which they often documented in a journal or diary, or by telling their doctor. He also has studied cases of shared dying visions and after-death communications.

His most recent research is on the mind-body healing aspects of NDEs. He is currently working on a project of studying immune system changes triggered by NDEs. He also is working on localizing which areas of the brain are linked to spiritual visions, and has a particular focus on the right temporal lobe as a communication link with an interactive universe.

He is currently working with parent bereavement groups to learn how to best use spiritual visions to help to heal grief. Dr. Morse feels strongly that by understanding that there is a scientific and biological component to NDEs, we can understand that the experiences are "real", at least as real as any other human perception and experience. We must stop trivializing and dismissing death related visions as hallucinations of a dysfunctional brain, and start to understand that they are a normal aspect of the human experience. We all have spiritual intuitions and visions, now we must learn to listen to them and trust what they have to say.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Here is the link to Dr. Morse's website, where you can find more fascinating information on the subject:

http://www.near-death.com/experiences/experts06.html

• just n from bethel
    just n from bethel
    I read something one time that postulated that your consciousness might actually create your after life based on what you believe, consciously or subconsciously. If you believe in a fiery hell and you know you have lived a debauched life, when you die, your experience is what you believed.
    If you believe in nothing after life, that's what you get....nothing.

Finally - some real sensible fact-based logic on this thread. This is great news. I shall now commence my conversion to Islam. Praise Allah! Virgins, I'm on my way. Can't wait to hang out with all the suicide bombers.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Maybe they did, but objectively looked at what science says about NDE and for lack of proof of a spirit world, decided that there is none? Did you ever consider that to be a possibility?

You haven't looked at what all of science says about NDE's. Read Melvin Morse MD's books. Start with Closer to the Light: Learning from the Near Death Experiences of Children. He is a pediatrician who started out to disprove NDE's and instead ending up proving them. I happend upon this book by accident in 2005. It's pretty mind blowing to find out that not all doctors and scientists go with the theory that NDE's are hallucinations brought on by lack of oxegen and the change of chemistry to the brain. The WTB&TS has been misrepresented the evidence from the scientific community as if they only believe NDE's to be hallucinations. This simply is not true. Read this book: Closer to the Light: Learning from the Near Death Experiences of Children http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0804108323/ref=nosim/neardeathcom-20, it's very thought provoking.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Pssst, Just n, not all of us believe there is torment awaiting you after death, even if you do die at the hands of an angry, yet sincere, mob of Muslims who get extremely annoyed by your gross and vulgar jabs of sarcasm.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy
    Pssst, Just n, not all of us believe there is torment awaiting you after death, even if you do die at the hands of an angry, yet sincere, mob of Muslims who get extremely annoyed by your gross and vulgar jabs of sarcasm.

It's not only sarcasm that get those "Sincere" Huggy and Kissy-Poo Muslims annoyed. But since you brought it up...

Here

JustNFromBethel, I, and most genuine ones here realize that your post was meant to be taken "Tongue in cheek" I too have recently had someone put words in my mouth, something totally off base to what I really said, so I know how it feels.

FYI, As long as you don't dress "Emo", practice Homosexuality, Draw pictures of Muhammed, Burn a book, get raped, or call Islam a Poopyhead, you should be Okay, and you will probably not have to face the wrath of the "Sincere" ones.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Ohio Cowboy, I am not referring to just this thread. Just n has posted some pretty crude things on other threads the past few days. You can take them tongue in cheek if you want. My post was tongue in cheek. We don't all believe in some kind of punishment awaiting people when they die.

• still thinking
    still thinking
    But to each his own again it is yourselves who choose to kick God to the curb I guess the only question now is who are you going to blame when you are tormenting in Hell for Eternity ?

Thanks for the good wishes... You have the free will to choose what you like...but you will be tormented in hell for eternity if you don"t heed what say. I am far happier without this type of love in my life.

Hallucinations of a dying person prove nothing except that lack of oxygen cause our brains to imagine strange things.

• oldflame
    oldflame

LOL you guy's ! No I do not live in Bakersfield and infact I am much much farther than that from there.....Look we don't need any arguement here, I was sharing what a 91 year old Christian woman told me . I believe it because I know the person . And it is okay to have different beliefs or feelings on the subject . We all find our way eventually and then some don't . That does not matter to me either because it takes all kinds in all ways. I was gone from this post for awhile and when I came back I was astonished at how many replies there were and there is no way I will be able to answer each of you independantly . There is a show on the Biography Channel each week called " I Survived Beyond and Back " It is amazing at how many people do have similiar memories , how they got there was different but the ending was the same . If that many people who have experienced NDE's with such a familiarity then would not the chances be greater of this actually being truth ? I think so ! I mean hey do you believe in UFO's or BigFoot ? There are thousands and thousands of people who have seen BigFoot but you have not but you still believe ? It's really no different in most aspects of that theory . I choose to believe it for several reasons . I still believe in a GOD, a CHRIST and a HOLY GHOST ! And I believe that there is life after death as I have pictures and EVP's to prove it ! All you have to do is go to my site I gave everyone at the beginning of this post . I find it interesting all the different thoughts in this subject but I implore everyone , if you are curious then check it out research after life and those who have memories of it . You would be surprised at what you might learn . Peace in Christ !

• oldflame
    oldflame

Flyinghighnow, You should read a book called " There Really is a Heaven " It will blow your mind !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit