Where is the nicest hotel that you ever went to in your lifetime?

by Iamallcool 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Low-Key Lysmith
  • FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I love the American Southwest. Northern California is nice, too. Lots of cool places in New Mexico and Colorado.

When I lived in West Texas, our vacation destination of choice was Fort Davis and then down to Big Bend National and State parks. Fort Davis has the old fort you can visit and learn interesting things like the US Calvary tried out camels in the desert. You keep thinking an Indian will be hiding behind the rocks on the mountains because it looks so much like the TV westerns. There is an observatory nearby and well, it's beautiful there and fun to bbq, etc. At Big Bend we bbqed right on the Rio Grande banks, looking straight across at the 8,000 ft wall of rock called the Sierra Del Carmen of Old Mexico. Down there it was a dry 110 degrees Fahrenheit. Up in the Chiso Mountain Basin, just a drive up in your car to about 10,000 ft, it was 85 degrees.

In Fort Davis, we loved the Limpia Hotel. I felt like Miss Kitty and Festus were going to walk in any minute with Marshal Dillon. The wrap around covered porch is mighty nice to sit and have your morning coffee with a friend or mate. There are gift shops and a hotel. Then Big Bend is nice to see, too. It's not my favorite place to go, but it's in the top of the list:

http://www.hotellimpia.com/

• d
    d

This hotel in Florida called the Marriot beach place palace it was nice located in Fort Launderale Florida.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

The Club Quarters in S.F.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I use the public rooms and shops at the legendary NY hotels-the Pierre, Plaza, Waldorf-Astoria, and Carlyle.

My favorite hotel in NY is the W Hotel at 14th St. approimately. It is a boutique European hotel. The luxury was relaxed. Those elite hotels seem frozen. It was a completely different hotel experience than I ever had. The restaurant, Olives, is so special. Drinks are expensive. Fifteen to twenty but they are worth every penny.

It does not draw a Midwest tourist crowd. Many Europeans use it. It is extremely popular with locals. Dogs are very welcome. They are greeted with great flair at registration. It was hard to believe my eyes. They had special treat packages. The concierge is a true concierge. Besides Broadway and the traditional stuff, they can hook you into the downtown arts scene.

The problem I see with fancy, expensive hotels in world cities such as NY and London is that I am not there for recreation. My goal is adventure. I'd rather spend the money on someting else. Hanging around a room in NY seems idiotic.

On the less luxurious end, I found a clean, decent, safe hotel at very low rates in the Museum of Natural History area on the Upper West Side. It was functional. I walked around Central Park in the evening. No hotel can beat Central Park. I don't know the name off hand but I can find it with a google search. The place is cheaper than those slick, nauseating motels in NJ. One of the best neighborhoods. No bad areas.

• cofty
    cofty

The George Hotel Edinburgh. Brittish Telecoms were paying - or Post Office Telecommunications as they were known in the good old days.

• talesin
    talesin

I stayed at the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City ,,, none better.

http://www.fairmont.com/frontenac

And for all-inclusive resorts,,, Hedonism in Negril, Jamaica. Let me see what it's called now ...

http://www.superclubs.com/

w00t! I would go for the all-inclusive, if you just want to veg and RELAX .... you can also take day tours to tourist sites, or just take a taxi into 'town' (Negril) if you want to shop for some awesome local carvings or clothing.

I love vaca! Enjoy!

xo

tal

• talesin
    talesin

PS.. The all-inclusive means everything ---- food, sailing lessons, horseback riding, cigs, alcohol,,,, you only pay if you leave the resort for a day trip,, it's like a cruise ship... just sayin',, so you know.

have a great time, whatever you do,,, Iam!

Also, I went to Vegas,,,, it is cheap, and OMG,, the FOOD,,,, and the shows --- that is the place to go if you want to see live entertainment, and I'm not talking strippers!

xo

tal

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Fairmont in Monte Carlo during the 2007 F1 Grand Prix...The Fairmont's main entrance is at the bend of the famos hairpin turn. Watched the race from the rooftop terrace...

• cofty
    cofty
    Watched the race from the rooftop terrace...

That must have been a fantasic experience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit