More anti-apostate rhetoric from the Watchtower - are they running scared?

by cedars 90 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

It's the same old same old. Funny enough, I debate JW apologists all the time at Beliefnet, and I think some still hang around at Topix.

So much for following what Mama Org says.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

For instance, we need to guard against succumbing to apostasy, a sin that would make us unfit to glorify God.

right?

• shamus100
    shamus100

Jesus was apostate.... ;P

Everything taken out of context and twisted beyond all human recognition. A watchtower specialty.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Unfortunately, such tactics work. Truth is the only thing that stands up to more research and scrutiny. If you frighten a person from researching, then you've won. They are a cowboy riding a bull, the more it bucks, the tighter they will grip. They are like a dog chewing on their favorite bone--you can't take it from their mouths without getting attacked.

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

"Let us therefore have nothing to do with apostates or anyone who claims to be a brother but who is dishonoring God. This should be the case even if he is a family member."

This is the troubling part. What does "claim to be a brother" mean? It could easily be interpreted to mean someone who's not df'd--in fact, I would say that's the intent. So, even if a family member who's not df'd seems to be questioning the Society, we should "have nothing to do" w/him or her. This does appear to be a more entrenched position than has been the case up till recently. Someone started another thread about "unofficial" shunning and I have to say, I think that's becoming more the case. I have experienced that recently myself from a family member who is a Bethelite, someone I was very close to for most of my life but now is giving me the silent treatment, even though I've said nothing to that person overtly "apostate."

Yes, they're scared and as they become scared, they get more hard-line. Isn't that another feature of a cult?

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Cedars - you've really been studying your God directed reading material

Do you plan on sharing some of the comments at the KH?

• therevealer
    therevealer

(Deuteronomy13:6-9) "In case your brother, the son of your mother, or your son or your daughter or your cherished wife or your companion who is like your own soul, should try to allure you in secrecy, saying, 'Let us go and serve other gods,' whom you have not known, neither you nor your forefathers, 7 some of the gods of the peoples who are all around YOU, the ones near you or those far away from you, from one end of the land to the other end of the land, 8 you must not accede to his wish or listen to him, nor should your eye feel sorry for him, nor must you feel compassion, nor cover him [protectively]; 9 but you should kill him without fail. Your hand first of all should come upon him to put him to death, and the hand of all the people afterward.

• therevealer
    therevealer

See why a witness should not marry a non-witness. They probably will end up having to kill them - and it does not seem to be with love. LOL

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Good points all. Also notice that the basis for their "warning" about so-called apostates is built upon Deuteronomy 13:6-9, which says:

"If your brother, the son of your mother, or your son or your daughter or the wife you embrace or your friend who is as your own soul entices you secretly, saying, 'Let us go and serve other gods,' which neither you nor your fathers have known, some of the gods of the peoples who are around you, whether near you or far off from you, from the one end of the earth to the other, you shall not yield to him or listen to him, nor shall your eye pity him, nor shall you spare him, nor shall you conceal him. But you shall kill him. Your hand shall be first against him to put him to death, and afterward the hand of all the people. (Deu 13:6-9 ESV)

This was speaking to the Israelites about not following false Gods such as Baal, Molech, etc. It has NOTHING to do with a person trying to help a JW to see that 607/1914 is wrong, or explain why there is no scriptural basis for refusing blood, etc.

"Apostates" are not trying to get you to worship Baal! (For the most part lol...)
  • shamus100
    shamus100

Exactly, Ray.

Twisted beyond all human recognition.... ;P It's like shooting fish in a barell. People just want to believe lies in that cult. It's a persecution complex.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit