More anti-apostate rhetoric from the Watchtower - are they running scared?

by cedars 90 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cedars
    cedars

Hi everyone

Yes, the May 15th Watchtower is now available for download from jw.org.

The final study article, on page 26, directs another salvo at apostates - and warns Witnesses not to try arguing with them on the internet:

Indeed, we ought to move as far away from wrongdoing as possible and not see how close we can get to it without being overcome by sin. For instance, we need to guard against succumbing to apostasy, a sin that would make us unfit to glorify God. (Deut. 13:6-9) Let us therefore have nothing to do with apostates or anyone who claims to be a brother but who is dishonoring God. This should be the case even if he is a family member. (1 Cor. 5:11) We are not benefited by trying to refute the arguments of apostates or those who are critical of Jehovah’s organization. In fact, it is spiritually dangerous and improper to peruse their information, whether it appears in written form or it is found on the Internet.

Read Isaiah 5:20; Matthew 7:6

Predictably, the scriptures quoted have nothing to do with anyone who dares dispute the credibility of the Watch Tower Society.

Isaiah 5:20 reads:

"Woe to those who are saying that good is bad and bad is good, those who are putting darkness for light and light for darkness, those who are putting bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter."

Ouch, that hurts!

Ironic that apostates are accused of distorting the truth, when in fact the Society has repeatedly had its statements and predictions proven to be false.

Matthew 7:6 has this to say:

"Do not give what is holy to dogs, neither throw your pearls before swine, that they may never trample them under their feet and turn around and rip you open."

So, apostates are dogs and swine who threaten to "rip you open", and the things published in Watchtower literature are "pearls" no matter how untrue they may later be found to be.

Is it me, or are the Society getting really paranoid about sites such as this?

Cedars

• james_woods
    james_woods

I think you are right - paranoia at its best.

I remember that similar articles came out right around the time of the Ray Franz situation.

Probably they are reacting to the numbers of people (particularly young people) leaving - numbers that only they know.

• designs
    designs

Woof Woof!!!

• cedars
    cedars

Ironically, notice what it says in the very next paragraph! (page 26, paragraph 14)

Displaying love is an outstanding way for us to imitate our heavenly Father. Yes, like him we should be loving. (1 John 4:16-19) In fact, the love we have among ourselves identifies us as disciples of Jesus and servants of Jehovah. (John 13:34, 35) Although our inherent sinful state may sometimes get in the way, we must push it aside and prove to be loving at all times. Cultivating love and other godly qualities will prevent us from doing unkind and sinful things.—2 Pet. 1:5-7.

Yeh, because accusing those who disagree with the Society of being mentally diseased dogs and swine who want to "rip you open" is just SO loving!

Cedars

• Glander
    Glander

That would be my conclusion in light of just the last few months intense focus on the subject by the Borg.

They must be feeling the heat and they know their credibility is a joke. Pull up the drawbridge. Close your eyes and put your fingers in your ears.

• designs
    designs

You can kick a dog and be lovin'

• Stealth
    Stealth

There is a very good reason why the WT does not want JWs to try and refute arguments of apostates.

BECAUSE THEY CAN'T !

• iamwhoiam
    iamwhoiam

Stealth....Amen brother!! If i believed in actually saying Amen.

Cedars....Excellent post!! If they are writing negatively about apostates, then apostates must be doing something right.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

How is this for wrongdoing:

First, you base a religion on the premise that Jesus died to ransom you from sin. This sacrifice is supposed to be a complete, perfect sacrifice to which nothing ever need be added.

Then, they demand other things be sacrificed. "Fruitage of the lips" is one prominent example. People are supposed to sacrifice their time spreading the message, and their money to ensure that the message reaches everyone. They have to sacrifice enjoyment of life just so they don't commit something the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger claims is wrong and so they can find even more time to spread the cancer. Good jobs, hard to find these days, have to go in order to make room to pious-sneer. Additionally, people are supposed to sacrifice family members and friends who do not become witlesses, and they must sacrifice to be at boasting sessions that are pointless. Excuse me, but didn't the principle say that NOTHING EVER NEED BE ADDED?

I would definitely say that this kind of contradiction would amount to wrongdoing. Imposing such contradiction is hypocritical. It also shows disrespect for the sacrifice that supposedly opened the door to salvation. It even desecrates it, because you are attempting to offer a sacrifice in place of the "perfect, complete sacrifice to which nothing ever need be added". Effectively, every time a witless sacrifices anything for the Kingdumb interest, that witless is rejecting Jesus.

If you are going to reject Jesus, at least don't go pretending to have the monopoly on honoring him.

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

Let us therefore have nothing to do with apostates or anyone who claims to be a brother but who is dishonoring God. This should be the case even if he is a family member.

This concerns me deeply. I am have some success in getting my wife to see the lies behind the "truth'. I hope that this sentence quoted above doesn't derail my progress or cause my family to have nothing to do with me. I wonder how many marriages this will hurt?

SIAM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit