Christian Atheists, why did you throw the baby out with the bath water?

by Elsewhere 86 Replies latest jw friends

• sizemik
    sizemik

Poorest choice of name for a God . . . 3-way tie.

Frigg, Gun and Syn . . . very misleading.

• unshackled
    unshackled

Hey size...what's shakin? There's also the god that is spelled exactly as Sin. Might check that one out. Then there's Sol, named after the beer I presume.

• caliber
    caliber

"Perception is the acknowledgment that love and purpose, while not tangible phyiscally, are realities of the human experience. Perception also teaches us that love and purpose do not need to be linked to religion or a god ... " ~~~~ATJ

This seems to make sense , that human experience can help you understand the realities of intangible things and therefore to be fair would have to apply to realities concerning perceptions of God also

yet many here discount "religious experiences as invalid"

It has been said ...that the Heavenly God can be perceived in these three ways

1)creation 2)conscience 3) communication ( some personal human experience then )

If you take away the intangible perception factor two of the three can be invalidated by all other humans but onesself

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I acknowledge that many believers in god are powerfully affected if they believe that they have had an experience or communication with "god".

Sadly, such experiences cannot be verified, though the behavior of the believer may be altered.

What can be verified are existential items such as love and purpose.

What I think many theists do possess that they don't use is what you say Caliber: What a person can validatefor themselves.

What they lack is the ability to draw the line between what they have proved to themselves and what they can prove to others.

If a person chooses to believe, and allows that to affect them in many positive ways, they only need to stop there and allow others to find their own way.

Unfortunately, it seems like many theists get a bad "Joan of Arc" syndrome, where they fight for "god" on her behalf. If you are going to fight for god, can we at least get a memo?

As a former JW who went way way way up the company ladder, I can tell you that there are few things that will get a person so heady, so intoxicated, as to believe that what they do in life is from the one true god. It causes a person to not consider anything else, and to make unhealthy decisions. In short, it is a dangerous way to live life.

Now, if a JW (for example) were allowed to decide to worship Jehovah, and even keep private beliefs about what will happen to non-believers, that is their right.

Where it get's dangerous is the activities promoted, not the beliefs.

Can one believe and not act on their world? Of course, and this is where it gets frustrating for theists, because the world as it is is VERY different from the "map" they have been given. (such as the bible or other sources of religious dogma)

• rebel8
  • sizemik
    sizemik

Hotei . . . now I like the sound of her . . .

She might even want to share my bathwater . . . anyone have a pic?

• tec
    tec

Of course, and this is where it gets frustrating for theists, because the world as it is is VERY different from the "map" they have been given. (such as the bible or other sources of religious dogma)

Some theists, right?

I think that's what you meant. Just clarifying.

Peace,

Tammy

• sizemik
    sizemik

Ooooh . . . on second thoughts . . . my bath might be a bit small

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." -- Stephen Roberts

By simply professing to be a Christian, you are by definition rejecting the existence of the following gods. You are an atheist against the following 610 gods. Why did you "throw out the baby with the bath water"?

I am a Christian and worship one God but I believe there are many gods. I don't believe in Santa Claus. I don't believe he exists. When I say I believe in Christ. I mean think he is real. In believing in him as real I believe he exists and so saying that it would follow I believe he is the one who died and was resurrected.

I also believe there are many gods. As a JW we believed that Jesus was a god. The devil was a god. The Insight On The Scriptures page 968 says

"Anything that is worshiped can be termed a god," (Which is interesting in that as witnesses we attribute no worship to jesus who is a god)

The 610 gods you list by this definition are gods I just don't worship them.

• designs
    designs

x611

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit