Christian Atheists, why did you throw the baby out with the bath water?

by Elsewhere 86 Replies latest jw friends

• Heaven
    Heaven

So is the reason Yahweh's name is absent is because El is listed? They are one and the same. And where is Jehovah? I guess no one's ever heard of him.

Glad to see Epona is on there though. Cool!

Epona

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Where the f**k is Jimi The Overlord Hendrix on your list?

Piece of crap, dog sh*t list.....

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

May I add in all seriousness, at one time these Gods were worshiped by the majority on earth, but there time came and went, some time later a bunch of travelling penis cutters came up with the evil god Yaweh and his son Scrappy Doo, not forgetting evil uncle Be'elze'bum.

But sure thing.... THIS LATEST GOD is definetly the right one! Yes, yes I'm sure of it.... All the other ones were made up or simply lesser gods, yep this one is for real for sure... He wrote a book.. And despite my own admission that most of it has been proven wrong, I will follow it!

Also it makes no sense due to all the contradictions and unknown parable/prophecy/actual history interpretations,..oh and its quite evil..... But i will continue to quote it when people quote to me scientific facts that scare me or disagree with my book from god.

yep my mind is made up.......because I can't face the realities of life and death without such belief.

Amen, thank you Jesus.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I mean Scrappy Doo.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

There is actually nothing unique in the Christian belief system. I was just reading a text (for class) on religion, and it was a quick and general overview. This was something I knew, but had never read it put quite this way. They follow the pattern perfectly, so not sure why they think it is special.

Creation: first nothing, then an ocean, dry land, separation of earth and sky, life.

Universal catastrophes (flood, fire, darkness) something that separates time into epochs. These disasters brought on by human mistakes.

Then comes a culture hero--which is a god or a superhuman that carries out some feat (crucifixtion?) on which is the basis of life. Culture heroes set down rules and act as exemplars.

Then comes the trickster who decieves others and was tripped up by his own greed. He often acts out of pure maliciousness.

Those desert dwellers came up with nothing new. They simply regurgitated a well known and comfortable pattern. But of course, THIS TIME, it's all true.

NC

• dinah
    dinah

Syn is God. Or at least he looks like one in my book.

• talesin
    talesin

Don't have to go to Portland on the west coast for some mushrooms. There's lots here on the east coast if you know what to look for.

t

• tec
    tec

Well, some things are similar because they're true. Like creation... the universe came into e x istence at some point.

If many religions originated with the same source, then spread around, it seems understandable to me that they might carry some of the same truths as well.

I won't comment more than that since I'm not sure what sources you are drawing upon.

Peace,

tammy

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Of course. But the current version is the most true.

the source is a text book on anthropology. It was a section designed as quick review of a class I already took. The last class had been more specific, but these paragraphs just gave that overview. While reading it, I realized there was absolutely nothing special about the bronze aged god. Except of course, his stories are actually true.

NC

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Er---there is just one little snafu. The culture hero (Jesus) that accomplishes a great action on which life hinges (crucifiction) was recognized by cultures all around the world thousands of years before the Christian culture hero made the scene. But I suppose they knew it was all coming, so they incorporated it earlier. Cuz this story is true, and they were drawing on truth. Weird that they were aware of this culture hero long before anyone else . . .

NC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit