What did you/do you think about at the meetings?

by tornapart 47 Replies latest jw friends

Most of the time, I simply stared at my watch, agonizingly counting the minutes to go before I could get out of the dungeon that was the kingdom hall.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I counted stuff. Columns, curtain ruffles, air conditioning vents, lightbulbs. I counted.

Then, I'd countdown the items to more fun things. "OK, Skeeter, we have 30 minutes left. That's a minute a curtain fold . . . "

I'd look at other people and how they were dressed. "Boy, that one must think she's the bees knees. That one needs to wash her hair with dandruff shampoo..."

Then, I'd go back to counting. "How many big dandruff flakes do I see on that shoulder..."

Finally, there was such a "happy" feeling to have the meeting over. I went around and chit chated a tiny bit, then left. I was SO HAPPY to be OVER another meeting.

No kidding!

Skeeter

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

For any of you that have your district conventions in a certain midwestern town you'll recall that the steps from the bottom floor all the way to the concourse floor of the arena are all painted yellow. I would try to count them. After 20 or 30....your eyes start to glaze over and you lose count. Then I got the idea that I'd just start counting as a person begins to ascend or descend the steps. That would make it easy! But then the person would sit down like 5 or 6 rows into the walk and I'd be like "damn......gotta start over". I once was able to count with a person as they started from the very top step and went all the way to the ground floor. Very exciting.....yet a bummer at the same time as my time killing game was now over. I think there are 77 or 78 steps by the way

• Wishididntknow
    Wishididntknow

LOL

used to daydream about sex, or winning the lottery, but I generally just dozed off.

• finally awake
    finally awake

LOL indeed, WIDK! I swear I am more of a teenage boy even now as a 41 year old female than most actual teenage boys.

• PrincessCynic
    PrincessCynic

I spent half the watchtower last week doing pelvic floor exercises

• myusername
    myusername

I disassociated during the meetings. You couldn't tell from the outside. I was one of those kids who was dragged to the back to be hit regularly at each meeting as a young child. By the time I was a teen I was very skilled at sitting there disassociated. (Of course I was too old at that age for my parents to get away with beating me at the hall.) I didn't learn was diassociation was until many years later. I'm only mentioning it here in case others may realize they might have used the same coping skill. It's pretty interesting. Of coure, I have no respect or love for my parents but I find the coping skills humans develop interesting.

• myusername
    myusername

Although I had one friend I talked to at each meeting which was a life saver. (She was the closest to my age.) Although, she was a little odd and sometimes she wouldn't want to talk but usually we spent time together.

• not bitter
    not bitter

Is it too soon to visit the loo again.

Thursday nights - are we going for a drink after the meeting and if so which pub

Sunday mornings - how can I get out of field service this afternoon

• jws
    jws

Anything to keep my mind from exploding. So boring! All that came from the platform was the same stuff on how to act mixed in with the same old bible stories I heard a million times before.

When I was a teen, I'd fantasize on what it might be like to have sex with the nice looking girls at the hall. Hell, at that age, I was just fantasizing about what sex with another person might be like.

I'd try to bring something to doodle on until my parents would catch me.

In my early 20's, I have to say it wasn't all bad. By that time I had a job and a life and while I was not out enjoying it while being stuck at a meeting, all that time does provide you with some advantages to stop and meditate and mentally organize and plan your life. What will you do this weekend, what might you need to prepare to make that happen, (as a programmer) devise a solution to that programming issue that's been stalling you, and of course, sex.

Man, if they only had smart phones back then...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit