Another day, another apostate. Here's my story.

by I Want to Believe 49 Replies latest jw experiences

• I Want to Believe
    I Want to Believe

Been lurking for a bit, and feel safe enough now to tell my story (condensed).

I'm a third-generation born-in, but my parents were inactive for most of my upbringing. This means I got the worst of both worlds--no worldly friends (home schooled all but grades 2-3), no witness friends (since we never went to the Hall except for Memorial), and a generally isolated upbringing in a tiny, tiny town. Needless to say, my emotional, social, and personal growth were stunted.

When I was 15, the family moved to a bigger city and started attending again. I threw myself into the ministry, finally finding people to spend time with. Slowly, very slowly I started to make acquaintances--not friends exactly, though it was the closest I'd ever had. It was enough of a motivation that I threw myself fully into The Work, getting aux. pioneer hours even before baptism and becoming a full pioneer as soon as I qualified. Despite never having finished high school (when I said 'home schooling' I should have said 'home read-on-your-own') and having no social skills at all, I was a Servant within a year.

Even now I don't quite know why, but as soon as I finished Pioneer School my enthusiasm just plummeted. I had gotten 137 hours in August to make my yearly quota, but after the school, when the monthly requirement was lowered to 70 hours, I just couldn't do it anymore. I'd burned out and was feeling guilty. Of course, I was trying to live on my own on a no-education part-time job, so that might have had something to do with it.

Anyway, I ended up getting married soon after to another pioneer--the first and only girl I've ever kissed, naturally--and went about trying to get my life ready to take care of a family. I got my GED (with surprisingly high scores) and me and the mrs. attended the local state college. It wasn't looked upon as a good decision, but we didn't get too much flack over it since most of the "college dangers" didn't apply to a married couple attending together. Well, I had a pretty good head on my shoulders and was on the dean's list every semester (makes me wonder what I could've done had my intellect been nurtured as a child). But I was still determined to avoid the dangers of higher learning--for example, during Anthropology, when the evolution talk started I just stopped attending class, showing up only for tests under the assumption Jehovah would bless my firm stance and help me pass the class anyway (it worked; faked my way through every test and squeaked by with a C, the only real blemish on my transcript).

Looking back, my fading started sometime after that. It's true, higher learning did make me more critical. I was a Journalism major and editor of the college paper, and trying to read the Watchtower after my degree was a painful experience--I could see all the logical flaws, missing attributions, and just plain bad writing that I never would have allowed to see print on my watch. I tried reconnecting with the congregation, but most of my friends were gone, since that's what happens when teenagers grow up. Like many here, I had seen situations that were handled badly by the elder body, but put away those nagging thoughts as I was told. A couple of elders got DF'd during this time (unrelated offenses), several teenage marriages fell apart, and other problems I never thought to see in a "spiritual paradise."

After my son was born I made another brief try to rekindle my faith, but it didn't take. The assemblies grew excruciating, just rehashes of stuff to make you feel guilty about not doing more. On meeting nights I would get tense and anxious. Sometimes I tried to give myself food poisoning so I'd have an excuse not to go. Sometimes it worked. Gradually the guilt disappeared and I openly admitted to my wife I didn't want to go. It was a really slow road getting there, but something just snapped and the doubts started to run free. Maybe it was the overlapping generations, maybe I got tired of hearing the same basic talks regurgitated over and over again, I don't know. But I had to find answers.

As you all know, once you start you can't stop. I devoured everything and in short order went through denial, anger, regret, anger, relief, guilt, anger, etc. Since this went on way too long already, I'll just say where I'm at now with bullet points:

• Info dumped on my wife (bad move), but she's been willing to read and consider so far.
    • All my family is in now, and most of hers too. Fading will be hard.
    • I still want to believe in God (hence the name) due to Pascal's Wager, but I'm finding it hard to hold onto anything. Once the questions start, they don't stop. My newest point of concern: Paul (I'll start another post on that later).
    • I've realized "worldly" people aren't evil. My disposition has never been better. I actually care about others now.
    • All the regrets and missed opportunities has propted a slightly early mid-life crisis, which I am struggling to keep reigned in, if only to prove that people don't spiral out of control on leaving the "truth".

So that's my story. I've got a stuggle ahead; I've been encouraged by some of you and hope to privide support to others as we go on this journey. And if anyone here is from Alaska, give me a shout. Thanks for reading.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Wow, great intro thread! Welcome, I look forward to hearing more about your journey into your new life!!!

00DAD

• flipper
    flipper

I WANT TO BELIEVE- THanks for sharing your story ! And a big welcome to you ! It sounds as if you have really given yourself a great opportunity to regain your critical thinking ability with having attended college and informing yourself. It will be a challenge with lots of JW relatives still in ( I have that as well ) however the freedom of mind you have gained is one small part of what has helped make you happy also. Please know you are among friends here. Many of us have been through this exiting stuff. WE will be here to give you support. Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Welcome,

Glad to hear you got some education and that you began researching the cult. If you have any question just ask. How's wife taking it? Crisis Of Consciencec might be a good book for her to read if she's willing as it has a lot of history in there and it describes the dealings of the GB and the few scandals that they were involved with. That might help her with understanding what's behind the organization. Be careful what you tell the family and others and if you want to fade, it would be ideal to fade with the wife together especially if you change halls but most likely you'll lose JW so called friends anyway but hopefully your family only sees you as weak in the faith and continue talking with you.

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

Welcome I want to believe. You will find people who understand here. Good luck on your voyage of discovery.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Welcome I Want to Believe,

I am in a similar predicament. At this stage, this is how I reason. Perhaps God has removed his spirit from the Organization. They might have had it, but now there's none going around. The reasons: 1) Becoming an NGO of the UN. By this they have sacrificed their neutrality. They might have resigned, but have they repented by following the necessary steps? 2) Putting the reputation of the Organization before the welfare of their children: Pedophiles call JWs "pedophile paradise"; 3) Sinning elders are not removed, if it looks like "they have Jehovah's blessing." This because there is a shortage of elders, etc., etc., etc.

Would a righteous God allow one to get away with such things? Think of what happened to the Israelites? God got rid of them on a permanent basis. Nothing has changed. What is worse, the "anointed" among JWs call themselves Jehovah's Witnesses. They carry God's name. By their actions they dishonor it every day. According to the Law, if you dishonor God's name, you were sentenced to death.

And if you read the Bible carefully, you’ll notice that there is trouble in store for those calling themselves God’s people, especially the anointed ones. Read scriptures like Ez. 38, 39; Dan. 8:13, 14; 11:40-45; 12:7; Zech. 13:8-14:5; Matt. 24:15, 16; Rev. 11:7, 8.

Or to simplify matters, God promises that he will make all things new. Before making all things new, he has to get rid of existing structures, including that of the Witnesses (cf. Rev. 21:5). Also you know 2 Pet. 3:13 well where a promise is made of “a new heavens and new earth” wherein righteousness is to dwell. True righteousness will only prevail in God’s new world. That means there is no righteousness in this world, including the Watchtower organization.

I believe each must work out his or her own salvation for “each of us will render an account for himself to God” (Rom. 14:12; Phil. 2:12).

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

hi I want to believe

welcome

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

Welcome I Want to Believe !It isn't an easy road. But keep working at it. I wish you success.

CoC

• I Want to Believe
    I Want to Believe

Thanks everyone; I didn't expect so many responses so quickly!

Yes, fading will be really hard because my son's babysitter is his aunt, a true hardliner. It's sad too, because my son loves playing with his cousins. Our only real option is to move out of the state (this Alaskan winter has been tough, so it's not too suspicious). But it'll be a couple of years for that to happen.

My wife is still looking for excuses, but she's reading stuff on her own now, so I've backed off a bit to let her go at her own pace. LIke I said, my initial "coming out" wasn't handled well--I was going off on every tangent and subject at a million miles an hour and didn't let her digest anything. If (when) I try to get my family out, it'll have to be more "Inception" style--plant an idea, which leads to a question, and make them think it was their own.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Welcome I Want To Believe, it's a great ride

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit