WT Compares Higher Education to Drugs and Alcohol

by Bangalore 51 Replies latest jw friends

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

How have I never seen this before?!?!?!!?!

Bat Shit crazyness!

Love the pic of the drugs in the insert and the prof talking to the JW student right next to it!

• undercover
    undercover

From the normal viewpoint, yes it really is laughable how they compare them, but to the leadership, college is more damning to the efforts of keeping JW youth tied down, buttoned up, and stifled than any drug or hot sex will do.

Higher education teaches critical thinking skills. Independant thought is encouraged. It introduces you to people of different walks of life, different cultures, different upbringings, different faiths; and they learn that they aren't bad people deserving of death for just never hearing about JWs.

A JW youth gets caught up in drugs, booze or sex...he'll generally feel guilty which will pull him in closer to the bOrg. But let a JW kid go off to college, learn things, think things.... and he's a goner forever. No guilt, no remorse. Only freedom.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

3 funny college stories:

1) I had American History 101 in college. My first day, and my professor,a black man, introduced the Civil War as "The Waaaaar of Northern Agression". I was shocked to hear the Civil War being talked about like that, but was floored that it came out of this man's mouth! College stretches & discusses both sides of every issue.

2) I was in a "diversity" training college seminar The professor had this group of 300+ students intermingle in groups of 5 students. We found out that 5 white kids had less in common, and people of seemingly different backgrounds have alot in common.

3) Socioloy of Deviant Behavior class. The professor had various "deviants" come to our class. We had a very homosexual couple, Hell's Angels, felons, and a Mayor come to visit. I can say that the Hell's Angels were super strane. But, for the most part, each of the deviants were alot like each of us. They loved their children too and cared about their community.

College is going to stretch one mentally, intellectually, and spiritually. If you take classes that further career interests, chances are that you are going to get employment and a better paying job. You will have many more opportunities for advancement, and to give back your expertise to humanity. You will not "want & wish" this world to end soon. You will not see this world as terrible as the JWs try to paint it. You will see yourself as making a positive difference. And that is something that the JWs don't preach.

• ziddina
    ziddina

extreme facepalm

Whatta buncha MAROOONS...

Like Wha Happened said, except I'd say that it's just INSANE!!!!

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

Yep, ... it's all sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll.

All of us would do well to ponder that counsel, but especially should young people do so. One young man rented a video that he knew featured sexually stimulating scenes. He later related that after viewing the video, he felt so aroused that he sought out a prostitute, whom he knew to be living nearby. He ended up with a heavy heart, a guilty conscience, and anxiety over possible disease.

w08 9/1 p. 10 / Consider the “End Afterward”

• zoiks
    zoiks

I thought that PZ Myers had scoffed at this article once, and I was right:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2009/10/its_a_gateway_drug_to_a_lifeti.php

The more public ridicule that they open themselves up to, the better.

• sir82
    sir82

That reference would be dynamite in a child custody case, where the JW parent was trying to show the judge how "normal" the JWs are and how "their kids don't really miss out on anything".

Someone with ambition and time could probably put together a killer "child custody packet" that would blow the Society's version out of the water.

• wisdomfrombelow
    wisdomfrombelow

The majority of the JWs that I know who went to college while being JWs became elders, bethelites, pioneers and serving in foreign language congregations. They stuck together and helped one another and that was puzzling to the local brothers. This is the side of university education that they will never speak about.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

College graduates score higher-paying jobs

So why exactly do those 7 Guys in Brooklyn have such an issue with their followers pursuing Higher Education?

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Isn't higher education particularly in the medical field the main element that keeps these old crooked cronies living on in their elder years?

Just like many other religious cults they too demean higher education and the possible benefits for humanity or toward the individual.

The biggest sin to these guys is getting intellectually more advanced than themselves, which isn't that far from a grade school level.

To fear is to control, to control is to empower oneself. ....so says the Watchtower Corporation

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit