Is there a new sense of urgency due to 2012 ?

by av8orntexas 39 Replies latest jw friends

• dozy
    dozy

I remember being woken up one morning at 3am by a brother phoning me to tell me that people were jumping up and down on the Berlin wall & the end must be so close - would I go out on the ministry with him the next day? (Answer - no - let me go back to sleep.) That was 1989 - he left the "truth" a few years ago.

As long as I can remember , there always has been this feeling that Armaggeddon is imminent. Sometimes it wanes a little bit - other times events seems to give a renewed urgency. The GB can play this game forever - they run this show like the shop that always has the " sale now on - these bargains can't last" posters out.

Having said that , I think there are 2 factors that are perhaps coming into play more than before:

(1) World events really are pretty awful Those of us remember the 70's - 3 day week , recession , inflation etc that really provided the spur to the 1975 campaign. At the moment it is a bit like those years - like a perfect storm - failed wars & a shambles in Iraq & Afghanistan , Iran's nuclear threat , troubled world economies ( the euro is in a real mess & really could go totally toxic ) etc etc. There have also been quite a few high profile earthquakes , especially in Japan & the boxing day tsunami a few years ago.

(2) The JW baby boomers are getting old Those who became JWs as young adults in the 50's & 60's are elderly now. They are often reaping the sad fruitage of having little if any pension provisions. They are tired , disillusioned & stressed , as are their 30 / 40 something year old offspring whom they "brought up in the truth" and are scratching their heads wondering why Armageddon hasn't arrived yet , when they were promised as children that they would never even graduate from school , let alone have children of their own. The reaction is as av8orntexas describes. It is more in hope than expectation , almost a desperation that the big A will come suddenly & bail them out of their situation.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

LOL You've been away for too long and you don't remember that "the end is just around the corner" and the urgency in the JW voice has always been there as if the end was to come any day then as a it is now and it will be tomorrow.

Want to make them stop repeating the same trash and think maybe for a second, ask them how close do they think the end is in actual months or years.

• baltar447
    baltar447

OH yeah, I remember as a young person think that my favorite shows would never finish. OR that the Star Wars prequels would never get made. lol

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

It's a stressful time. Economic problems abound the world over. The Middle East has a lot of change really fast. All kinds of triggers are being toyed with. And they always look at everything as a sign of the end. They are probably pretty frantic (hopeful?) right now.

NC

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I've noticed, maybe not a sense of urgency, but anxiety. I truly believe 2014 is a MAJOR psychological factor in many minds. I think there are ones out there that think the system can't possibly last A FULL ONE HUNDRED YEARS without gods kingdom taking action. I hope as 2014 comes and goes, at least SOME of my family and friends start to wake up. I'll be there to help.

2014 marks another year of hair splitting. When I was studying back in 1987, it was that the generation that was old enough to understand what was going on in 1914, would live to see the end.

Then it was anyone born by 1914 would live to see the end.

Then the generation changed in 1995.

Then the generations overlap.

in 2014, there will be another defination. And I'm sure it's going to be just crazy

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Who says it is 2012. I thought it is 5772?

Oh, wait this is the Hebrew calendar....

Ahh, it's all bull$hit....

• I quit!
    I quit!

Same old crap they were worried about when I left about 30 years ago. We're all going to die of old age before anything the Watchtower has predicted ever comes true.

But for your entertainment....the Apocalypse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnzOmXK21aI

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

WW3 could happen, but then again, it may not. It makes one wonder why Jehovah has waited until there are over 7 billion people on earth to do away with wicked mankind. Why not do away with them when WW2 was going on? It seems the time of WW2 would have been really critical, nuclear bombs invented, holocaust occuring in Europe perpetrated by the mad-man Hilter, Japan taking prisoners and working and torturing them to death, Japan being fire bombed by the USA, famines in Russia, the world at war. Concentration camps all over the war torn world...

• d
    d

The person I was talking to said and quote " Have you heard about Syria, I said yes I have and the person said we might not have a world next year" I said you really should worry about such things, you cannot live like that it is not healthy for a person to think like that all the time.

No wonder these people have anxiety and depression issues.I am glad to be out of that mess.

• d
    d

But yes this whole WW3 idea is nuts, we live in more peaceful times then we did 40 to 60 yrs ago.plus if you are living in the U.S or Europe or Canada you are doing far better then those that are living in countries with civil unrest and mass famine.In a sense their is tribulation in countries such as Sudan and Nigeria which many in the countries I just listed are in situations we cannot even begin to understand.Despite all that, their are food aids helping them out. SO yes things are better today way better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit