How did you leave?

by stuckinamovement 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Flat_Accent
    Flat_Accent

Thanks JustThatGirl007. Like I said, it was just a fluke that I decided to look this stuff up, but once I realized how dead wrong the WT was about things like the Flood, I just couldn't stop. That's what led me here eventually. Though to be honest I had been checking the forums for a while before I finally got an account. If I do meet witnesses I always encourage them to do research, and that means outside the boundaries of the organization.

You said you had always doubted the accuracy of those stories, but never researched them ... so how did you escape in the end?

And flipper, way to leave like a bad ass!!

That's the way i'd like to have gone if i'd been attending without my parents. Either that or do an anti-WT talk on the platform instead of my assigned material and get kicked out.

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

I was sucked into the vortex of this borg in 1984 (by sleeping with a born-in-the-truth-er ironically). Baptized in 85 (the very first time they used the new "Baptismal Questions" which LABELED me a JW and dismissed the father son and holy spirit altogether) And in 86 already wished I hadnt done it. By then I had managed to alienate my family. Lose all my nonJW friends because I was an obnoxious newbie, and was living with an elder and his wife so I was soooooo trapped. But in my heart I knew it was all pure bullsh#t. And nobody around me was the least bit genuine. I wanted out...but then I met and married a newbie JW, had three gorgeous kids and before I knew it 10 more years went by. But allll that time I was faking it to make it and keep the heat off.

I even managed to get the bookstudy in my house. That was at least one meeting a week I didnt have to wash, dress and haul three young kids out into the snow on a school night so that they could be bored sh*tless for two hours in adult topic meetings. By the time my youngest was five months old, I found Freeminds on line. And then Crisis of Conscience became my companion day and night for a week. I even tried reading it to my ashen faced JW husband who was sure I was possessed. I told him the book study was no longer to be held in my home. We were doing the Revelation book for the THIRD FRICKIN TIME in the bookstudy conducted by a man who had been having an affair with a worldly woman while his wife was dying of heart disease. I totally had a meltdown. He was screaming at me about how I "didnt love the friends" while they were still in my house.

The "friends" gossipped that I had PPD. That I was in need of vitamin B12. That I was having an affair...and many other sordid gossippy lies. The elders finally showed up. I told them to park their bookbags by the door. I wouldnt let them pray over or with me. Wouldnt answer any questions directly. Talked to them like human beings Id known for 13 years and not "elders" because they had NOTHING over me, spiritually or any other way.

My husband stayed in. His mother eventually da'd too and now he and his sister and her husband and their five kids, shun her. She is married to a second husband...an elder....who is spiritually and emotionally abusive to her and she cant get out. Some of her neverJW kids shun the jw kids who are shunning their mother so that they can get a taste of what being shunned feels like, so as a family we are blown so far apart it looks like a supernova.

However, my children were raised free. To do whatever they wanted to pursue. Believe what they want. And to respect the beliefs of others and never ever impose their own belief systems on anybody else. To see themselves as NOT superior in any way shape or form to anyone else on the planet. They excelled in dance, sports and music and in school, and have grown to be amazing people. I never regretted my decision to cut ALL ties between me and my name and this cult.

I wrote my letter of Disassociation in January of 1997. Happy 15th anniversary of freedom to me and my KIDS!!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I was Shot out of a Cannon in Front of the Kingdom Hall..

I never went back..

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001721191/human-cannonball-43825090496_xlarge.jpeg

....................... ...OUTLAW

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

I was born in, left from 15-18 then came back around 95. From 95-99 many but not all of my time being a JW was pretty good. Around 2006 or so I was really at my wits end with the content of the meetings. There was nothing interesting, and it was the same thing over and over again. As a last resort I looked on the internet to see maybe if there was a JW forum. It took me a while to weed through what I thought at the time was evil apostate sites, but I did find one. I found 2 actually, one was called something like "scriptual discussion" and the next was a forum run by a JW that went by the name wrench. So I started frequenting that forum. It was the same year the convention was called "Deliverance at Hand", and that struck me because it was such a powerful statement. I felt that this must be the one where they start really coming strong with the deep information. Nope. Same stuff, about entertainment, dress and grooming, pioneering, etc. But one demonstration really shook me, and there was this young brother on stage talking to an elder. He was listing all of the things that he does, he was baptised, was on the school, got 10 hours a month in service, did mics, had many privelages, and worked full time. So in my mind, I felt wow, what an upstanding and hard working brother, how does he fit it all? Then like a slap in the face the elder tells him he is not doing enough and what he is doing wrong is working full time, and there was another big problem, he was watching his new DVR and plasma tv for an hour every night after a long hard day of work before bed. Im thinking to myself, are you serious? THIS KID IS NOT DOING ENOUGH?!?!?!? WTF!??!?!

It was at this convention that I noticed there was like double or triple the ammount of attandants, many were all over us to hold on to the hand rail, they were giving out paper towels one at a time, etc. I was in the bathroom and I needed to dry my hands, and the attandant was holding all of the paper towels. So I waited in line like it was the prision cafeteria, and when it was my turn, he gave me a towel, and it didnt dry my hands fully, so I asked him for another one, and he said no, only one towel per person. I thought he was kidding so I laughed and he was stone face. It was outrageous. So I looked at him in the eye while wiping my hands on my suit pants. He looked unconfertable, I guess it was because my facial expression was "f**k you".

Then back to my seat, and again, barked at by an attandant to "hold the hand rail" while walking up the steps. Then finally the day is over, im walking to my car, there is alot of JW's around, and the parking lot was across the street from the back street with almost no traffic on it. You could sit in the middle of this street and eat lunch and a car would not come. So I walk like 6-15 feet outside of the crosswalk, as there were a bunch of JW's in it. And I hear someone yelling at the top of their lungs "BROTHER!!, BROTHER!!!" So im thinking damn, something must be going down. So I look up and this a**hole attandant is yelling at me! Im like WTF? He says "USE THE CROSS WALK!!!!" He was yelling so loud, I was disorented, so to try to calm the situation I put my hand up, and since im in the middle of the street I proceed to take the few steps it would take to get into the cross walk, thinking that would appease this disgusting bastard, and he says "NO! NO! GO BACK AND START OVER!" ANd by this time everyone is looking at me. I was about to walk over to this dude, and bitch slap him. It was like everyone was watching me to see what I would do, and some people had a look on their face like they felt bad for me cause this guy was so out of line. I knew if I did anything but take it up the ass and walk back there I'd be looked upon like satan, disobeying direction, so I went back and started over. When I walked passed him, he said "thank you" and I gave him the most epic "f**K you and your entire family" look. I got into my car with my wife and mother, and said "there is something going on here, something is wrong". (In hindsite, I was in a cult, so yes something was wrong, lol)

From that point on I was reading the JW forums, but after a while just found alot of people with similar gripes, and I just felt like there was something not right, if it seems like in every hall there are the same problems. So comes the next convention in 2007, and the phrase that began my wakeup hit me in the face like a bag of bricks. I thank the watchtower society for coming up with this, because it was the final straw. During one of the talks, the brother was talking about the faithful slave (it may have been the talk, "they follow the lamb no matter where he goes") and he said "Why should we trust the faithful slave?" his answer shook me to my core ."Because Jehovah and Jesus trust the slave." I looked at my wife and said "what did he just say?" GOD, the most powerful being in the universe, along with his son, the 2nd most powerful being in the universe put their TRUST in HUMANS?!?!?!?!??!?! WHAT THE F**K IS GOING ON IN THIS PLACE?!?!?!??!

That night I got home, and realized, there is something very wrong, and I wont be able to find out what it is until I read everything, not just the JW forums, so that is when I began reading "apostate" websites. Shortly after that I purchased Crisis of Conscience, and that pretty much explained the majority of it. Then I read his 2nd book, and finally "Releasing the Bonds" by Steve Hassan, and then my wake up was complete. During this process I would slowly introduce ideas to my 60 year old hardcore JW mother. Fortunatly it worked and after reading quite a few things, she read the letter Rutherford sent to hitler, she woke up from that, and the blood transfusion scriptures being taken out of context. My wife, told me she was done about a year before I was, and she was afraid to tell me. My closest friend also is out, I was able to show him stuff as I found out, he had a paid 4 year tuition to college from his dad, but cause the JW stance of college decided not to go. After learning the truth, he enrolled in college and now he is a 3.8 average and enrolling in grad school. There was one other friend, while we werent super close, I did like him sadly, he just became a more extreme witness after we tried to help him wake up, and I havent talked to him in about 2 years.

I faded, I havent been contacted, its been 3 years, and I dont answer the phone, or door, and do not acknowledge any authority on their part, so they can do whatever they want. I have moved on. I reverse shun JW's at the store, there are a few exceptions, those who were always nice, and still are nice, there are like 2 or 3 of them. Other than that, I get off on pulling very dramatic JW style shunning on any JW's I come across. Im one of the lucky ones, no one I care about, aside from that one semi friend is in the borg, and if they DF'd me, it would make no difference, I got my friend and family out. Fortunatly, throughout my life, I kept my close "worldly" friends, and never had many JW friends to begin with, so there was no transition. Just telling them I am no longer a JW, so if you want to have a drink and a smoke, like we used to, im all for it. My wifes mother was DF'd, and the relationship was strained, but now its back to what it was. Just had a son about a year and a half ago, and am happy and relived he will not have to even know what a JW is, nor will he grow up in that enviorement. We just had our 2nd christmas and when he starts school, he'll blend in with everyone else.

I feel very fortunate, the one draw back is not having a worldview set in stone to look at things like death, etc in that context. I've done a ton of research on religion, etc and im pretty much where I was at the beginning, I think there is some truth in alot of things, and alot of lies in others. I think we will find out when we die what the truth is. I will never join another organized religion again, and I find it special that I have had my belief system reset and now after learning about cults, mind control, logical fallacies, and critical thinking, I can use this knowledge to debunk any BS that comes my way. I may not have alot of concrete answers to alot of stuff, but I know what the BS is, and most people in the world are captive to some kind of BS. So on that one hand, we are all very very lucky.

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

@Your Momma, great story! inspiring.

• JustThatGirl007
    JustThatGirl007

F_A, I'll try to put it in a nutshell. I have a tendency to be verbose. :)

We moved in w/ my parents to help them out. I was under the impression that they needed help around the house (some, not as much as they indicated, however) and we figured living near other JWs would be beneficial to all of us, spiritually speaking. I was under a lot of stress trying to maintain our household and trying to maintain my parents' (not because they expected it, but because I was trying to please everyone and they were allowing it to go on) and ended up having a mental breakdown. Over the next several months meeting attendance dropped off dramatically. We'd not been in service more than 2-3 times in about 2 years by that point. We never had support, nobody ever offered to take the older kids, nobody ever worked with us. We just got sick of working a whole street by ourselves and dragging 3 kids to every door. That's just unreasonable.

Anyway, we consider the memorial of 2011 as our last meeting as a family, even though I went one last time when my dad was announced as disfellowshipped. We moved out of my parents house (and across the country) in July 2011. We haven't been to a meeting in our new city at all.

How we got to that point took a very long time. I'd been questioning since my daughter's birth in 2001, but we kept going. In 2005 we were fading but had spurts of doing "better" spiritually and then in 2007 or 08 my brother & his wife just left abruptly and having talked w/ them both, though more specifically my sis in law, I KNEW we would follow suit at some point. Shortly before my brother left, my aunt also left, but she didn't share that with me right away. We all know the standards, and I don't blame her for keeping quiet about it at first.

After the advent of the study edition of the WT (I thought, What are they trying to hide from the public??), the drop in Awake mags (why drop one? is this a sign of the org failing?), ending the bookstudy (fam worship night? yeah right! who does that?! And removing the ONLY meeting we were even regular-ish at that we'd also been taught forEVER that it would be our only tie to the cong since the Big A is just around the corner?), and then the new song book (GAG! Need I say more?!), I REALLY began to question the validity of the org. Why all these changes in quick succession??

Oh, another change that I thought was bizarre was the blood fractions. We can take parts, but not whole?? What???

Currently, only my mother & my in laws (3 people) are still in. I suspect my husband's brother is on the fringe, but he hasn't really come out about it.

So anyway, Baltar447 and I made it out as a family and I'm so glad. He struggled a bit with holidays this year, but I pushed it. I really wanted to do them and I felt like celebrating holidays would be a way of ripping off the bandaid, so to speak.

If you're interested in more detail, I have several posts up on my blog already. This is the first one.

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

If I were smart, I'd have gone out like the JetBlue flight attendant.

"F*UCK YOU ! F*UCK YOU F*UCK YOU annnnd F*UCK YOU SIR ! .......... Grab a microphone ( no beer to grab from the galley or slide to inflate ) and walk out the hall.

On a serious note. I went to Spanish and accidently faded pretty much.

Probably around late 2005 went to spanish due a friend going over with his wife. His inlaws were there and he rode me to switch over with them. I did so and gave a few talks and made a little progress. Met a spanish sister, we started dating. I lived in Texas,she in Cali. I flew out there like every two weeks. Long,short she was sleeping with her ex ( while she was regular pioneering ) and she dumped me. I had surgery which kept me out of work for about 6-8 months. Nary a call from my brothers or sisters. But a few from co-workers.

Couple that with the incident with my ex and hearing from no one, I began to question who my friends were. Are they my friends because I go to the hall,or are they really my friends,because they like me for me.

Mid-2008 was off and on. Being in Spanish made it easier. I noticed when I left english no one missed me too much. Most told me to my face they thought I just stopped going to the hall. WOW. I appreciate the postive thinking.

By 2009 I went here and there,but pretty much was done. Haven't done the Memorial since 2010,before that probably 2006,07.

Thats my condensed story.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Once you realized the organization is simply a religious corporation, how did you leave? Stopped going.

Did you fade? Yes, started just missing Wed then quickly all meetings.

Were you forced out? Not forced out, but being that our child was a victim of molestation and we were a constant reminder of how bad things happen within...they were in no hurry to try and "save" us.

How did you adjust to life on the outside? It was really hard at first, but eventually we knew we had to get busy with living. We put our kids in sports and other activities and reached out to our neighbors. Happy to say we are very happy with the choices we made and our children are thrilled to be living normal teenage lives.

Do you still have social or family connections within the organization? At first, No. Our families were really trying to get us to go back, if meant stepping back from associating with us, so be it. Once they realized it wasn't working and coming to terms with what they already knew in their hearts (we had good reason to leave) they came back around. It's still not the same as it was when we were active JW's, but it will do.

What did you do to supplant the lost friends, routine, and sense of purpose? This is still a work in progress but we are trying, as time passes, it gets easier. We don't have tons of friends but the ones we have are great. I have learned the real purpose of the greatest commandments given...Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” These are things we can all do without a religion :)

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I successfully did the fade, even though the realization that it was just another religion of men was complete and quick - once the penny dropped. This was after almost 40 years of "service". I am a slow learner...

Anyway, I still have a home and a wife and a decent relationship with her. We attend together often on a Sunday - it is something to do together - and I am on reasonable terms with the local dubs.

So although I have not got real freeness of speech , I think this is the way for me.....Each one must do as their heart moves them to do.

• JustThatGirl007
    JustThatGirl007

BluesBrother, does your wife have any issue with you having faded? You said you guys sometimes go to Sunday meetings together. How does that work out for you? Do people hope you'll come back? Do they try to encourage you to come back?

I hope you don't mind the questions. I'm just curious. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit