How did you leave?

by stuckinamovement 42 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I simply started missing boasting sessions on purpose. At first, it was when I forgot to call for rides on purpose when the person normally selling me rides (yes, the scumbag charged me for rides despite that he lived less than 1/4 kilometer from me and it was close to zero extra time out of his way) had talks out. Then, I would use the flimsy excuse that I didn't want to risk getting my suit and field circus bag wet, and kept "forgetting" on purpose to buy an umbrella. Of course it helped that I moved around that time, and technically should have transferred my publisher card to an adjacent congregation. That way I could switch at random between congregations, inserting missed boasting sessions at will.

That went on for a while. I cut back on field circus to once a month, usually one hour of crap service. I also cut back on boasting session attendance to about 2 a month. I quit attending a$$emblies altogether after 2001, and eventually had enough of being told to stick with just men. Ultimately I simply quit going to the boasting sessions at all, and did my last field circus (reporting them late on purpose to throw them off track) in June 2005. After that, I shredded whatever rags I had that were unplaced and called the whole thing quits for good.

• Quendi
    Quendi

First, I want to thank all the other posters to this thread. Your stories have been most interesting. My departure was quite different from the ones I've read in this space. I was disfellowshipped for being a gay man and then wasted nearly five years in a vain effort to get reinstated. The reasons for this were twofold. One, my judicial committee was, as you all can well imagine, extremely homophobic. Two, my "sin" of immorality was compounded by my refusal to grovel before the committee and sue for pardon and forgiveness.

The meetings I had with the committee always degenerated into arguments about doctrine, organizational procedure and my attitude about the rank and file. I had rejected all of the WTS teachings except the most basic ones about the identity and nature of God, life after death and the future of the Earth. I told the committee that I had found WTS publications "inadequate, incomplete and insufficient" for my needs and purposes. I had no love for either the organization or its members since I was routinely shunned by the congregation even inside the Kingdom Hall while attending meetings, and criticized by the elders for petty things like not sitting where attendants directed me or not bringing study articles or other literature to the meetings. We argued over the fact that the Society effectively taught that its literature was worth more than the Bible itself, and that its officers should be blindly obeyed.

After five fruitless years of seeking reinstatement, I decided to break all ties with the organization in June 2010. I simply stopped attending meetings and have not set foot in a Kingdom Hall since. No elder has sought me out, none has called, none has expressed any concern for my lack of meeting attendance or ceasing to seek reinstatement. Their actions have shown their true colors. As for my social life, I had always cultivated relationships outside the organization, and these friends have helped me in many, many different ways. There are some Witnesses who still talk to me and our relationship is still warm and close, but most have shunned me per orders--and that's just fine with me.

There are some people I miss, but I am happier now than I've been for years. I have seen some Witnesses while out and about, and I take the initiative to avoid them. If they don't think I'm good enough now then I don't need their "friendship". I have made one or two exceptions to this, but even in those cases the interest and care I gave to these people have not been returned.

In the months following my burning of bridges I have realized that I did the right thing. This organization has nothing but hatred for LGBT people and they had taught me to hate myself. There is no reason for me to return to its embrace. I count myself blessed because I have found a new spiritual path that has been very fulfilling to follow. In addition, I did not make the choice so many others like me have: suicide. I have often wondered how many gay Witnesses chose that route of helplessness because of the lack of love they suffered whilst still in the organization. "While there's life there's hope," they say. I now know just how true that is, and my life outside the WTS is far richer than it ever was within.

Quendi

• JustThatGirl007
    JustThatGirl007

I've heard elders make fun of gay people, Quendi. It's SICK. I'm glad you're out and free to be yourself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit