How did you leave?

by stuckinamovement 42 Replies latest jw friends

• N.drew
    N.drew

I walked out of a "shepherding" meeting. I have not heard since then about my status.

Before that I would put out "feelers" to see if there was anyone else who was suspecting the Governing Body was distributing misinformation.

So all the friends I had there had already moved back away from me. I have not heard from anyone for several months.

I'd just like to add that I think it is very strange that each of my friends had decided on their own to disfellowship me. Because to my knowledge I am not disfellowshipped but I am being treated as though I am.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

troubled mind, do you still have a copy of the Cease and Desist letter? That could be useful. If you do would you mind posting it (with private info redacted of course).

Thanks,

00DAD

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

Once you realized the organization is simply a religious corporation, how did you leave? We just stopped attending meetings.

Did you fade? Kind of. Our service had been reduced for a year prior to leaving, meeting attendance was spotty and then nonexistant.

Were you forced out? No. We still get visits from elders though. One elder came right out and asked "you still know this is the truth, right?" He also grilled me about certain family memebers, asking why they weren't going to meetings and if they were discouraged because of another elder and his family. I told the elder it was best to ask them.

How did you adjust to life on the outside? We celebrated holidays this year and enjoyed them. Life is pretty much the same as it was when we were witnesses, we just have more time and don't feel guilty about doing normal things like sleeping in on the weekends.

Do you still have social or family connections within the organization? Only inlaws, and that might change when they find out our inactive status.

What did you do to supplant the lost friends, routine, and sense of purpose? I'm kind of a loner, so I don't need many friends. I have some friends that are ex JWs, which is nice. My husband is making friends with his coworkers. We've got 2 little kids, so not a lot of extra time. But I take a yoga class to get out of the house, and have my son in dance class. We plan family outings some weekends, and try to fill our time with things we enjoy.

I miss spiritual things sometimes, so I went to a church and enjoyed the atmosphere there. I plan on volunteering at the Food Bank in the near future. And right now my children give my life a sense of purpose. I sometimes have bad days where I feel my life has no purpose, but I think counseling, medication, and time will heal all wounds.

• Botzwana
    Botzwana

Once you realized the organization is simply a religious corporation, how did you leave? I quit going in 2010.

Did you fade? I just quit going. Made the Elders think I was going to the spanish hall.

Were you forced out? Nope.

How did you adjust to life on the outside? I had already done it for around 5 years. I moved to Mexico and know NO ONE here. Hardly anyone speaks English so it is easier to adjust to life because I cannot communicate with anyone.

Do you still have social or family connections within the organization? I still let the brothers think I am in the truth in the states.

What did you do to supplant the lost friends, routine, and sense of purpose? I am happy. Turned my attention to my passions. Collecting DVD´s etc.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

00Dad , I had lots of help from people here on the forum to formulate my letter the final draft was short and sweet :

Attention to the Elder body of the G***** Congregation Of Jehovah’s Witnesses

I specifically requested Bro.S#*@ to inform the Elder body to stop calling, and stop coming to my home uninvited . My request has been ignored .

I consider these repeated phone calls ,personal questions and uninvited visits as Harassment .

Disrespect of my personal privacy is unacceptable . These intimidation tactics must come to an end .

You are hereby notified to immediately terminate any contact with me ,including phone calls ,home visits , mail or electronic mail ..

A copy of this letter has been filed with the local Police Department per legal suggestion .

***** Sent certified mail

• troubled mind
  • Open mind
    Open mind

Did I fade?

A very, very, very slow fade.

So slow, that my DFed older brother once described it as "watching a turtle .......on a glacier."

om

• Flat_Accent
    Flat_Accent

I didn't fade. I flipped like a light switch.

I had been born into the Witnesses - my mum has years of pioneer service under her belt, though she can't pioneer anymore due to her working hours. My dad was bapized in '77 and is the current Congregation Coordinator (that's P.O. for you veterans). Last May I turned 19, and for years I had been thinking about leaving; not for any scriptural reason, I just wasn't having a particularly good time at the Hall. Sure, I did my number 4 talks, readings and answers and got all the accolades for it. I even got a place on the Magazine counter, despite the fact I was UNBAPTIZED - that's supposed to be a big deal in witness terms - but I had very few friends. There was a giant age gap in the congregation. 10 year olds on one side, 60 year olds on the other, and me in the middle. I had learnt how to become friendly with the older brothers and sisters, but I was lacking a friend of my own age, and there were no young people in sight. Besides, many of the other young people in the closer congregations were all in the 'baptized' club, which I was not a part of. I also have a self-destructive/fatalistic attitude, and even though I thought Jehovahs Witnesses had it right, I found no enjoyment in life, and I would rather have renounced my faith and died at Armageddon than continued living for an eternity. That probably doesn't make sense to a lot of you but that's how my mind works.

It was by chance that I decided to do some research on the age of the Earth. My dad had kept saying that each creative day was around 7,000 years long, and therefore the Earth itself was only 49,000 years old at the most. I think this is a vestige of a long abandoned idea from the WT, but being a 70's child it's probably been ingrained into his memory. Either way I wasn't buying it. I planned to do research and then report what I had learnt to my parents. I looked up radiocarbon dating and the K-T Extinction boundary, and stumbled upon the site which later revealed to me some of the bigger problems with WT teaching - talkorigins.org

The response from the research was interesting. While the problem of aging wasn't a big issue, my mum in particular got very emotional about the idea of Jehovah using a meteor to kill all the dinosaurs. She couldn't tie this idea of utter destruction with an all loving God. I found it hard to admit as well, but keep in mind I hadn't realized the real 'truth' at that point.

I had found my research into carbon dating interesting - and later my dad came to me with several pieces of paper. They were print-offs from several WTBTS publications, talking about how inconsistent C-14 dating was. I decided again to look up the details and found that what the publications were saing was untrue or misconstrued. This puzzled me, but I had found a thirst for knowledge and it wasn't yet quenched. I spent weeks going over details on the Genesis account, particularly the Flood, and realized that the whole thing was a lie.

My last meeting was the last tuesday in October. I did my talk, and left the hall that night, never to return.

The night I told my parents and subsequent week was not pleasant, and I don't want to relive that time in writing.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Fa a a a d e

Although, that status might change once I carry out my evil apostate plot.

• mamamo
    mamamo

I moved away from my parents house when I was 22, actually moved about an hour and half away. For the first time I had some freedoms, went to R rated movies, read the books I wanted to. When I moved back to my hometown I started to try to fade but my mother would have none of that. So I DAd myself. I had been working at the same fast food restaurant for 5 years and had formed some close friendships. They saw me through. With in two years I was married and a mother. Eight more years, divorced, but happy. Not going back, not happening.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit