How did you leave?

by stuckinamovement 42 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

I just stopped attending cold turkey over 8 years ago. I had been unjustly dealt with by the elders and it was the last straw , the breaking point for me. I went to my seat before the meeting , picked up my books off the seat and walked out- never to return.

I still have some social contact with my JW family . My parents will talk to me or see my wife and me, however my two adult daughters shun me though I am just inactive. I have zero contact with any former JW friends as I see them as superficial and plastic.

How I have moved on is by meeting new friends here on the board and also in my area I live, which is 80 miles from where I used to live as a JW. My sense of purpose is greatly enhanced by doing more reading on subjects I enjoy like psychology, native American history, and writing songs and playing guitar now. I now have the time to pursue hobbies and interests I never HAD time for doing all the JW cult activities. It took up all my time before.

I have gained much freedom of mind and clarity of purpose in life now to just be me and I find that I really like the person I am now ! None of us were ever as bad as we were all told we were when we were JW's. We are innocent, no need for guilt or repentance. One of the greatest joys I've come to know is being comfortable in my own skin. Anyway- just a few glimpses into me and my experience

• I quit!
    I quit!

You rock Flipper. I respect people who say enough is enough and don't play games.

I was kind of like Troubled Mind. I left when I just couldn't take one more BS meeting. I left to keep my sanity.

• TimeBandit
    TimeBandit

The wife and I disassociated last summer....

• finally awake
    finally awake

I stopped going out in service in 2007 after my youngest child was born. It was just too hard for me to manage a baby and my older 2 kids in service. I skipped a couple of assemblies because getting the little one to sit and be quiet all day was impossible and I just couldn't handle the stress. Eventually, I'd take any excuse i could come up with for missing a meeting. The last straw was a "shepherding call" back in November. The elders were all over me for my lack of field service and spotty meeting attendance. We had just missed the Special Assembly Day, despite heavy pressure to attend. We were actually on our way there when my youngest barfed all over the car. There was no choice but to return home, but Brother COBOE suggested that I should stop feeding my kids before meetings to avoid such problems in the future. My husband and I had a long overdue talk after that, and we both decided we were done with the Borg. He went to a couple more meetings to cover assigned parts on the school.

I was not born in, so I was well prepared to return to a normal lifestyle. It's been more of a challenge for the kids, but they are adjusting. The older 2 have joined the Boy Scouts and we are preparing to celebrate the middle one's birthday next week.

We only have one uncle and aunt in the Borg, and we rarely have contact with them anyway.

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

Thanks for your stories. Has anyone sucessfully completed a slow fade?

Siam

• JustThatGirl007
    JustThatGirl007

flat_accent -- your story is mind blowing to me. A close friend has a similar thing... He also started researching stuff like the flood and the K-T extinction (did you know we're in the process of another? I forget the name and Wiki has been blacked out all day, so I can't go figure it out.) and now he's out.

It's so amazing to me that people even thought to research that subject. I never had. I always doubted the accuracy, but never looked into it. So talking to my friend & reading your situation makes me wonder why I didn't think of doing the same thing! It just adds a whole new angle to why it's great that we left. LOL

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

The branch forbade me from preaching, because I refused to preach Watchtower BS that isn't backed by Scripture. When I got tired of being treated like a naughty child, I just quit going. I call the elders every once in a while to see if they're ready to apologize, but haven't gotten an affirmative answer, yet. Occasionally, I'll attend a meeting, but after not going for months at a time, the blasphemous tripe spewed there is even more sickening. Even when I was in, I never got the cultish freaks who worship the GB and pore over Watchtowers as if they're Scripture. Now, I can't even stand to be around them.

• flipper
    flipper

WONTLEAVE- Don't wait too long for an apology from the elders. You will not get one. These WT leaders manners are null, void, and non-existent. I was unjustly DFed in early 2007 after having stopped attending in 2003. They chased after me , held a kangaroo court and DFed me in absentia. Didn't attend the JC meeting. I appealed the DF decision and threatened them with a lawsuit for slander and defamation of character if they announced it because I was innocent . They wrote Bethel legal department and got a letter back telling them to let me go- to overturn the DFing.

This took them 10 months to do this. From the time they stalked me , harassed me with phone calls, sent certified letters requesting me to attend a JC , through the DFing, the appeal meeting to my " exoneration " - lasted 10 months total. I went on blood pressure medicine , was under intense stress trying to stay non-DFed so my old JW parents wouldn't cut me off. Did the elders say , " We're sorry " for all the stress and anguish they caused me ? No way. They just recommended I start attending meetings in the area I lived in. I said, " No thanks. You've caused me too much pain and hurt. " Turned around and walked out on them. They never bothered me again. These WT powermongers have NO conscience. Don't ever expect them to play fair or to have empathy. Their authentic human minds have been sucked out of their skulls - seriously. They are like programmed robots on a mission to destroy ANYONE who doesn't cooperate or bow down to WT society authority. Run for your life is my advice and don't look back ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• DonutZ!
    DonutZ!

I gave the elders a DA letter and my wife got d'fed. I feel better now though, don't regret it at all!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Cold turkey, just walked, intended to do a quiet fade, couldn't face going back in a K.H and listening to the lies and B.S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit