Why didn't Jehovah ??

by Phizzy 45 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

As Jehovah said to the Israelites "you are my witnesses" and was happy to let them get on with things without major interference by him, he must have broadly approved of what the nation was doing, until Jesus came and changed things.

For hundreds of years before Jesus the JW's (Israelites) had decided that the Name of God was too Holy to pronounce. Had He been upset by this He would have sent a Prophet to sort this out, but no, it continued as practice,for 200 years at least,and remained uncondemned by Jesus.

If Jehovah had really wanted His people to use His name, would not a prophet, at least would not His son, have said so ?

• cantleave
    cantleave

Since Jehovah is a mistranslation, those that believed in the Isrealite god would have never used that word.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks, yes I have read that "J" was invented by an RC monk in the 14th century.

What my question really was trying to get at was, JW's today make much fuss about their use of the "Divine name" ,even if their version of it is a bastardisation.

Surely if Almighty God had wanted His Witnesses, His people to use His name in whatever form He would have said so ?

It would seem from His silence in those centuries before Jesus, and Jesus not explicitly teaching about it, that He does NOT want His name spoken in any form !

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Mis-translation or not, Jehovah is nothing but a tyrant. He relishes seeing as many people as possible suffering, and will stop at nothing to ensure stagnation for all.

Maybe Jesus was actually trying to free us from Jehovah the Baghead Tyrant.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

A megalomaniac like the God of the Old Testament definitely would have sent a prophet to proclaim that His people use His name correctly, if that were something He wanted. That, or the Almighty would have just put the name into the minds of His people.

• man oh man
    man oh man

I figure he let his name fade because Jesus should be the focus. They say the Bible is without error? They say God protected his word? Well then he must have wanted his name to fade for stated reason!

(Acts 4:12) 12 Furthermore, there is no salvation in anyone else, for there is not another name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must get saved."

(Acts 1:8) 8 but YOU will receive power when the holy spirit arrives upon YOU, and YOU will be witnesses of me both in Jerusalem and in all Ju?de′a and Sa?mar′i?a and to the most distant part of the earth."

• arko_n9ne
    arko_n9ne

modern christianity is just a retelling of ancient ashurism. i still find it funny that an organization that claims to be the cornerstone of gods truth uses a widely known mistranslation of gods name as their namesake.

but maybe they havent been misleading anyone. maybe they are jehovahs witnesses. witnessing for some guy from compton named jehovah franklin.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Since the Septuagint was the Greek translation in common use at the time of Jesus and the apostles, and since the name YHWH is absent from the Septuagint (which is why YHWH is translated as "LORD" in modern Bibles, not because the 'churches removed the name'), one would have to ask why Jesus and the apostles never complained about the Divine Name having been removed from the Bible, as JWs do today. If they used the Name in those days as JWs would have us believe, you would think they would have said something about that deficiency. Instead, we have the apostles quoting from the Septuagint without modification, using the Greek word "Kyrios" ("Lord") where the name YHWH would have appeared in the Hebrew. It just doesn't seem like it was a big deal to them.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thank you Neon, that is my point, and one I wish I had made when I was talking to a very mature sister, I think she is around 70 years old and was born in, and she was trying to "help me with my doubts" and I shot a few of her reasons that JW's were the true religion down by comparing with other religions. For example, world-wide preaching etc

She came back with, several times, "but they do not use God's name " . At the time I had not thought it through, and I simply had to agree with her, but of course, if it was no great thing to the Apostles and to Jesus himself, it cannot be an identifying mark of the "true" religion today !

If there is a next time, she won't get away with that bit of false argument !

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

Phizzy said: "JW's today make much fuss about their use of the "Divine name" ,even if their version of it is a bastardisation. " -- " Karaite Jews, [ 11 ] as proponents of the rendering Jehovah , state that although the original pronunciation of ???? has been obscured by disuse of the spokenname according to oral Rabbinic law, well-established English transliterations of other Hebrew personal names are accepted in normal usage, such as Joshua , Isaiah or Jesus , for which the original pronunciations may be unknown. [ 12 ] They also point out that "the English form Jehovah is quite simply an Anglicized form of Y e hovah," [ 12 ] and preserves the four Hebrew consonants "YHVH" (with the introduction of the "J" sound in English). [ 12 ] [ 13 ] [ 14 ] Some argue that Jehovah is preferable to Yahweh , based on their conclusion that the Tetragrammaton was likely tri-syllabic originally, and that modern forms should therefore also have three syllables. [ 15 ] " " there appears to be evidence that Jehovah form of the Tetragrammaton may have been in use in Semitic and Greek phonetic texts and artifacts from Late Antiquity . [ 5 ] [ 6 ] " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit