Why didn't Jehovah ??

by Phizzy 45 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

The Quiet One,

What is worship?

When I was a young man I had to be careful that i didnt imitate the world and follow some of the musicians in my dress and I couldn't put posters on them on my bedroom walls otherwise I maybe guilty of idolatry.

Do you think that imitating someone is worship? What if that person has been identified as a God?

What if I became known as a slave of a Rock Star. A Rock God. Do you think I would be guilty of idolatry?

I was a Jehovah's Witness but in Acts 1:8

"... and you will be witnesses of me both in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria and to the most distant part of the earth." (NWT)

This Jesus was identified as a god.

Paul spoke of him as his master and said to become imitaters of him.

In Philippians 2:10 it says,

"So that in the name of Jesus every knee should bend ..."

When the three Hebrews were asked to bow before the image that Nebuchadnezzar had erected although they knew it was a not God they couldnt bow as it would have been idolatry.

• trueblue
    trueblue

stoned for saying jehovah (life of brian) - YouTube

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I understood that the Hebrew word for worship had a meaning of prostrating oneself, serving a god.

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

Praying to Jesus, as in directing the prayer to him.. with the praise and thanks that go with it, rather than simply approaching the Father through him as Jesus taught ('nobody comes to the Father except through me')..would clearly be worship. And the Trinity is very important to this topic. Phizzy made the claim that jw's can't claim to be anything special because of preaching the Divine Name, due to him thinking that neither Jesus or the apostles said that it was required.. But Jesus directed all praise and glory to his Father, and made His name known to the disciples, his main concern was to sanctify his Fathers name.. And if YHWH and Jesus are not the same person.. and YHWH is one God demanding exclusive worship and people to call on His name, and He has always existed before anything/anyone else, how would YHWH feel about people worshipping his son rather than the One that begot him ('only-begotten son') ? Although Jesus must be respected/honoured.. ('in his name every knee should bend', although evidently not the One that subjected all things to him). Worship and honour are totally different, though (think of 'honour your Father and your Mother', it doesn't involve praying to them, just respectful obedience).. And are there any other religions that preach worldwide that YHWH/Jehovah alone should receive worship, not Jesus? As to whether YHWH the Almighty God and Jesus are the same.. http://www.watchtower.org/e/ti/article_08.htm http://www.watchtower.org/e/ti/article_05.htm

• The Quiet One
  • Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

"to the congregation of God that is in Corinth, to you who have been sanctified in union with Christ Jesus, called to be holy ones, together with all who everywhere are calling upon the name of our Lord, Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours." 1Cor. 1:2 NWT

The Quiet One I think this scripture is quiet clear that some were calling on the name of Jesus don't you?

The surrounding verses of Romans 10 are talking about Jesus verse 9 "... if you publicly declare that 'word in your mouth,' that Jesus is Lord" verse 12 "For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for there is the same Lord over all who is rich to all those calling upon him" (NWT)

If we put the word "Lord" in in the next verse 13 it seems to make sense with this in Acts

"... and you will be witnesses of me both in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria and to the most distant part of the earth." (NWT)

Don't you think so The Quiet One?

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

And are there any other religions that preach worldwide that YHWH/Jehovah alone should receive worship, not Jesus?

Probably not. But then they did preach that the generation that was alive in 1914 and was of an age of discernment would not pass away I believe.

I'm a little skeptical about what they preach

Worship and honour are totally different, though (think of 'honour your Father and your Mother', it doesn't involve praying to them, just respectful obedience)..

Surely prayer is just a form of talking and my parents were never identified as gods. If they were and I was their slave and imitator it maybe thought that i worship them more than honour them.

• JamesWHudson
  • The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

Clarke's Commentary on the Bible "That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow - That all human beings should consider themselves redeemed unto God by his blood, and look for an application of this redemption price; and that all who are saved from their sin should acknowledge him the author of their salvation. In a word, that παν επουρανιων, all the spirits ofjust men made perfect, now in a state of blessedness; και επιγειων, all human beings still intheir state of probation on earth; και καταχθονιων, and all that arein the shades below, who have, through their own fault, died without having received his salvation; should acknowledge him." As to worship of Jesus.. Proskuneo (greek) could mean worship in a true or a false (demons) sense, or merely a person prostrating themselves before a ruler, so it's open to translater bias.. But, if you don't believe that YHWH is Jesus the Nwt Bible may be one of the best, as proskuneo doesn't have to mean worship.. And if Jesus and YHWH aren't the same and you don't believe the Trinity, thus only the Father should be worshipped.. who preaches this worldwide? http://www.studylight.org/lex/grk/view.cgi?number=4352

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

The Quiet One.

What do you think the act of worship was that the Devil asked Jesus to do?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit