The great unanswered question - WHO chose the Governing Body to serve as representatives?

by cedars 105 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Listener
    Listener

I thought the post made by 20571point428571 when he was addressing the GB was interesting - "WE KNOW JEHOVAH CAN RAISE ANOINTED FROM THE STONES, BUT WE ENTRUST HE WILL CONTINUE TO USE THE GB, WE KNOW HE WILL USE THE FDS, THAT IS A PROPHETIC GUARANTEE, THE GB IS NOT PROPHETIC, SO YOU HAVE TO GUARD YOUR PRIVILEGE WITH A ZEAL TO PROTECT THIS POSITION."

• cedars
    cedars

Listener - what did you find interesting about that comment?

Cedars

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

They elected themselves to that position, a theological concept they believed in for a very long time.

Make sure of all things (1953), page 200

• Listener
    Listener

I should elaborate.

He considers himself a very dedicated JW and fully defends their teachings. I don't think he has ever said that he is one of the anointed but his last thread here shows he considers himself to be one. His only JW crime evident from his writings is that he is 'running ahead' of the GB. It would appear that he feels that if the GB has lost it's way then it would be the responsibility of the F&DS as a whole/individually to try and remedy this.

The F&DS existed well before the GB did but 'anointed' JWs have always accepted the authority of the WTBTS/organization which later on established the GB. If as a group they no longer do accept the lead then they may well do something about it and they would not be acting in an unscriptural manner, unless they went against scripture. The GB would have no authority to stop this from happening and would have to step down.

He has been writing blog type posts for some time now and at a guess I think he has become frustrated, like hitting your head against a brick wall. But his case is not isolated. There are other JWs that feel the GB is not doing their job properly and no doubt there would be other 'anointed' JWs that feel the same way.

He had stopped writing for a month or two and only came back to post a petition that he was putting to the GB and now it would appear that he doesn't want to engage in any discussion about it.

I am just looking at this from a 'JW' perspective but have different views regarding the reality of the F&DS and what it means to be anointed. It is interesting to see the frustration within the organization and in this case from a person who considers themself to be a current anointed JW.

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks for elaborating Listener!

Cedars

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

They are obsessed with governing and ruling so much, they forgot to be the "leading ones".

“LEADING ONES”: THE GREEK WORD HEGOUMENOIS IN HEBREWS 13:17

Again, we must confront the context in order to arrive at the definition to be attached to the Greek word hegoumenois. Should this word be interpreted as “ruler” or “leader’? William Edwy Vine's (1873-1949) comments are very informative in dealing with this word hegoumenois.

Vine calls attention to the fact that the noun hegemon came to be applied to a governor. But the verb hegemoneuo means to “lead the way.” The translations that I have consulted, except the KJV, employs the word leaders, not rulers.

In classical Greek a hegemon was a “guide” who showed one the way or “one who did a thing first.” It might also be a “leader” in the army of a chief or king. Josephus used the word to describe a “procurator” or “prefect” (Antiquities 18.3.1 ).

One thing they for sure were not: A supra-national, governing body with a world-wide reach.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit