As An EXJW Does Christmas Mean Anything To You?

by minimus 36 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Atheist OTWO reporting in.

Does Christmas mean anything to me?

You know, if I never were a JW, I probably would say it's a silly religious holiday about a guy that doesn't exist and is used as an excuse to commercialize the giving of gifts.

But having been a JW, Christmas comes in second after birthdays as something that was taken away from me. My non-JW family and my co-workers and some ex-JW's I know, whether they are Christians or even believers in God, have mostly decided to participate in "Secular Christmas." They decide to celebrate this as an extension of "another year passing" and wanting to wish glad tidings to each other and, in many cases, as a reason to give gifts to each other.

Birthday celebrations are one-way. The birthday boy/girl/man/woman gets the gifts. Christmas is a bit more special in that it can be two-way or still one-way- "I got you a gift even though we weren't supposed to." It is a chance to show love or well-wishing or appreciation for someone.

I would be glad to abandon Christmas if people chose some other way to do this at random times of the year or just by expanding birthday celebrations a bit. But people have not chosen that, so I just join them and try to "be merry about it."

WTS says it is a time of debauched behaviour or greed or whatever else they say. Some of that is true. But it is up to individuals to work that out. My non-JW co-workers pretty much don't do gifts, just a party. It basically kicks off the "Happy new year" kind of feeling with thoughts of what's gone on with us this last year. In my case, I think we need that before the drab dull winter really hits us. My non-JW family share gifts and they are not upset by tokens of love that are small, so we have a nice balance. I have yet to see the "adults" get upset at any sweater, jacket, bag-of-nuts, Starbucks gift certificate, etc. just because the recipient went all out and spent way more on the gifts they give. That was their choice to show their love in that way. Everyone is appreciative.

I am rambling, so sorry. Have a merry Christmas, happy Hanukah, joyous Kwanzaa, festive Festivus, and a happy new year.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch
    Good LORD - what in the world kind of an office is THAT???

Here in Boulder, CO we do things right! I work for a classical music organization.

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

It means a lot to me and because it's only a couple days before my birthday, December is my favorite time of year. I love even *some* of the commercial aspects, just because I love decorations and all the pretty gifts that come out then. But I also believe the true meaning of Christmas, which is Christ. It's the day I'm going to celebrate my Savior being born on earth. I don't know when he was really born but it doesn't matter to me.

I'm NOT a big fan of Santa Claus and some of those non-Christian elements, though I LOOOVE Christmas trees!

• minimus
    minimus

My daughter's birthday was last week. She cleans up in December.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

LOL minimus. My daughter's birthday was last week as well...but considering she's being raised a JW, she gets jack squat in December.

For me, I love secular Christmas. The lights, the tree, the other decorations, the Christmas songs, the food, etc. I feel like I missed a lot growing up, so I'm enjoying the catching up. Like OTWO, I'm an Atheist, so I don't celebrate the day that some dude who probably didn't exist was supposedly born on earth. However, I do believe in some Pagan ideas, so to me it is a special time of year due to the changes going on.

My future children will have Santa Claus and everything involved with Christmas. I refuse to let another generation miss out on life over something silly like "it's not real" or "it has ____ origins". Whatever. Let the kids enjoy some magic and wonder before they have to grow up!

• minimus
    minimus

My gf is like a little kid. She loves the lights, trees, ornaments, music, gift giving,----she loves it all. I like it. I don't love it.

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

Yes, we have a lot to make up for! This is our first Christmas post-JW. We want it to be a cozy, fun time for our children, so they grow up having good memories and pass on traditions to their families.

I love Christmas trees, the glittering decorations and sparkling lights, hot chocolate with Baileys, candy canes, and presents. I have a Nativity set, stockings hung on the mantle, Christmas carols playing in the evening, and old Christmas movies to watch cuddled up on the couch.

We're simply having a wonderful Christmas time!

• Giordano
    Giordano

With our grandkids it's a hoot. It's another time in the year where a family get's together, cooks up a big meal gets to exchange a thoughful gift or two and in general count ones blessing. If I lived alone it would be a difficult time.

When our son reached an age where he understood Christmas we used the holidays to travel to interesting places for our own special private version of Xmas. We went to Taos one year, Gettysburg the next. He still remembers those trips as a special time.

• Azazel
    Azazel

Sadly the WTS has drummed outta me any hope of celebrating and enjoying Christmas but for those who can i hope you have a real nice time and enjoy it. Drink a little too much and let your heart rejoice- gift from God.

Do you know how the Angel got to be on the top of the Christmas Tree? Amaze your friends with this true story!

Picture the scene:

The night before christmas and its total bedlum at the North Pole.

Santa has had the week from hell.

Mrs Claus has been giving him grief one day after another.

The Elves went on strike over pay and conditions and had only come back to work that morning.

Santa was just about at breaking point when theres a knock at the door.

What Now! yells Santa swinging open the door.

There stood a smiling happy angel with a Christmas tree.

Good evening Mr Claus where would you like me to stick the Christmas Tree?

And that folks is how the angel got to be on top of the Tree!

Yes it is a true story! My sisters girlfriends cousins uncle said his grandfather knew the guy who went out with a girl whose best friend was a distant relation of Santa Claus.So i guess it must be true!

Happy time to All .

Remember to much alcohol makes Yo Ho

AZ

• clarity
    clarity

Now that was a funny story AZ!!

>

I'm starting again to think feel about christmas, after missing many decades.

That, is what grabs me in the solar plexes, the feelings ... the sounds of Silent Night as I walk on a dark, snowy night. The sweet fresh scent from the pine trees leaning against a wall at a little out-of-the-way market. Peaceful.

I think of mince tarts, and the friends ..... well actually the whole darn neighbor hood being invited in for an open house .... decorating the tree with only green & red. Beautiful baubles and lights ... on a real tree of course.

The house glowing and polished. Sliced turkey on platters and sage onion dressing, a huge pot of mashed potatoes that will drip with brown gravy, plates of yummies and champagne in the thinnest of glasses.

In my mind, we'll sit around a lighted fire that night and the toasts will be many as each takes their turn; ... and now I wish you, lurkers and all, the merriest of times and the peace of mind you so deserve Love you guys & gals!

Oh, Minimus ... ya, after all these years, it still does mean something to me

clarity

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit