As An EXJW Does Christmas Mean Anything To You?

by minimus 36 Replies latest jw friends

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

No, not really. I do however enjoy my little twinkle lights scattered through the house, my wreath on the doors and our little Charlie Brown Christmas tree. My new friends feel sorry for me, so they give me Christmasy decorations and candles and show me what to do with them. One of my work friends sent me a fresh Christmas centerpeice in the mail yesterday and it made my day! However, here is the deal, if you are an ex JW and you have kids, you must set the wheels in motion for some kind of new paths of joy in their lives. I am not going to be the boring bah humbug mother in law someday that noone wants to be around all winter. So we have started a few silly traditions like eating breakfast food on Christmas Eve and opening gifts. This year we are having a New Year Eve Party, maybe that will be my little nitch, but at least we are moving forward with a new life. NMKA

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    My gf is like a little kid. She loves the lights, trees, ornaments, music, gift giving,----she loves it all. I like it. I don't love it.

I am just like your GF. Well I mean I love it too!! I have since my first time. My new hubby does too, and he was never a dub. He's really unbelievably sweet and thoughtful, and at Christmas even more so. He actually thinks about the person and puts in the effort to get something unique.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Been through a few Christmases now.

It has been a let down.

I'll still do it for the kids though.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Even as someone that detests Jehovah, Christmas means something--the birth of the second serious attempt at liberating mankind from that Almighty Lowlife Scumbag. It is a time to think of Jesus, who died trying to set mankind free from Jehovah's tyranny. For the record, Satan made the first attempt in Eden.

But, that is not all there is to Christmas. Other ways to enjoy Christmas is to enjoy our material blessings, share them with others if one is in a position to do so, enjoy the lights and sounds (some of which come at no other time), and have special meals (again, some of the foods appear no other time of year). I personally enjoy the lights and decorations that usually come with Christmas. I also enjoy some of the music I missed out on while a witless.

• jws
    jws

Not really big on Christmas. I do it. I buy the kids gifts. Don't really care whether I get them in return or not. The happiness of the kids is good for me.

Sure, there's some cool things. I like seeing the trees all decorated and lit up. I like the parties. Like I said, the kids.

But I just have no real interest in it. If it didn't happen, no big deal. I'd miss out on a few parties, but I'd survive. I'd kinda like less congestion at and around the malls and on the streets in general. And I hate having to stand in a checkout line forever when all I need is one thing.

Maybe it's that I didn't have it as a kid and didn't fall in love with it at an early age. Or that I know all the origins. And the Pagan ones seem like more of a reason to celebrate than the phony Christian ones. I love warmer weather and the days starting to get longer seems at least like a valid reason to have a party. Unlike a false birthday being used to convert Christians.

My kids understand all of this too. Not that I'm being all JW on them. It's just that I'm being honest about religion. They know it's OK to celebrate and we do, but they also know the origins and truth about it.

Last year, after hinting for years, my kids finally found out the truth about Santa. Something they were starting to doubt anyway. And it felt good to finally be able to be honest with them. Not to perpetuate a myth as my ex-wife (never a JW) would have loved to do.

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

Yeah, it means a bunch of f**king idiots driving like maniacs, shoving each other out of the way at department stores.

I'm just glad I don't have to go to Beverly Hills this week. That place is like being in the middle of a cattle stampede.

JDW

• flipper
    flipper

After being out of the JW's for 8 years- Christmas to me is special in spending time with close friends and family who are too busy to get together with the rest of the year due to working. We try to synchronize our schedules to spend time with Non-JW relatives who love us unconditionally . It's a nice time of the year to reflect and ponder on what the new year will bring. Hopefully positive things ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Like anything else, Christmas is what you make it. I used to think that it was all about materialism and idiots going crazy at the mall, and sure, there is that. But it does't have to be all about that. I just avoid the malls, do my shopping early, or online, or at small local stores. I don't overspend, but try to make my gifts meaningful. To me, it a great time to slow down and connect with family. I love to decorate, so that has been fun for me. This year my husband and I took our 3 year old granddaughter to pick out the tree and then she helped me decorate it. We also did a gingerbread house (from a kit - it was really easy) and she got to put on the candies (eating half of them). I wouldn't have missed that for anything.

I understand those who aren't into it, either because of JW brainwashing or because it's just not for them, to each his own, at least it's a day off work, right.

Merry Chistmas all

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Time to look for good prices on fishing gear from overstocked retailers

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

Born into the JW's-been out about 10 years. This is the first year that I have had a tree. My husband says that he's not comfortable with it and doesn't want to do a tree next year. I can take it or leave it. We only did it this year for the grandson.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit