As An EXJW Does Christmas Mean Anything To You?

by minimus 36 Replies latest jw friends

• curiouscynic
    curiouscynic

As a born-in JW, now atheist, Christmas as a religious observance has no significance for me whatsoever.

We decorate at my house, but nothing nativity-themed except for stars. I like stars. For some reason we have a lot of really ornate reindeer stuff...

I absolutely despise Christmas music. The only Xmas song I like is All I Want For Christmas is my Methadone by Bob Schneider.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Every year I get more into it. This year lights went up, I gave more presents, I went out of my way to make the work party. We had a blast!!!!

• pandora
    pandora

I am an Athiest now, so Christmas has absolutely no religious value to me at all.

But I value it because it gives me time to spend with Family that I don't always get to see.

I still have family inside the Borg, so it makes the family outside that much more special to me. And I take the time to go see them and spend precious moments with them that I don't get with the family that is still inside.

Christmas is in our hearts if that is where you want it.

And just so everyone knows, I have no problem with the 'Christ' in Christmas. He means nothing to me, but that is the name of the holiday I celebrate and I have no problem with that.

Those that keep saying they need to 'Keep the Christ in Christmas', need to realize, they are the only ones who think it is going away.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

As someone else stated, I was robbed of Christmas and birthdays. My father hated Catholics so we heard all sort of Christmas things. When I was about four or five, he made us put up ordinary socks on a door knob. He promised us Santa Claus would not come. My brother has cerebral palsy. As part of library school, we visited the fire station where the firemen lavished us with gifts and one was dressed as Santa. Empty sock or not, my brother ran to my mom with tears in his eyes that our father was wrong. Santa Claus existed. He saw him and sat in his lap at the firestation. Christmas happened.

My first high school job provided me with money to purchase gifts from NY. I felt so grown up. My father died and we celebrated Christmas b/c his sister invited us to get away from the depressing house.

I embrace Christmas, esp. traditions. My mom and used to see the Nutcracker at the New York City Ballet. The tree at Rockefeller Center and the mechanized windows of the dept stores were a tradition even when we were witnesses.

I tend to measure my life at Christmas, rather than birthday or New Year's. Somehow I wish it could just be an ordinary day.

Friends of friends visit my Christmas tree. Each ornament is a statement that I am not a Witness and life is good. Despite a hard life, it is much better. CAroling is fun. I read A Christmas Carol every year.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Been thinking quite a bit about this lately.

I think most people would rather celebrate Christmas (Jesus) than religion.

This makes sense since it is religion/ists who had Jesus killed because he exposed them.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Yes, Saturnalia.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I enjoy being with family & friends. i enjoy their surprise when they open presents. I enjoy a good dinner. I enjoy watching everyone do something truly charitable. I enjoy Toys for Tots. I enjoy my Christmas Tree and lights. Most of all, while I am not a Jesus freak, I do enjoy that everyone seems to be thinking of something spiritual this time of year. They are thinking for themselves of what the Holiday, Jesus, and the Bible means for them. And, for that, there is human growth.

Skeeter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit