Jesus Christ was INVENTED?

by sizemik 102 Replies latest watchtower bible

• still thinking
    still thinking
    ME.....What possible reason could there be to allow someone who loved him to wander away? Oh, guess it's my fault.
    Aguest.....Wait. Think about what you just wrote: "allow" someone who LOVED him... "to wander away"? If that someone LOVED him... why did THEY wander away?? Even so, why have you "allowed" yourself to believe he wouldn't come after you? Who has written WHO off, dear one?

Yes allow to wander aguest...does he take no responsibility for HIS lack of action? He allows people who love him to be mislead, he allows people who love him to wander by simply not being there when that person is in spiritual destitution. I tried your 'ask him directly' still waiting to hear from him...I explained my faith was crumbling...waited...still no whisper...yup..I have to conclude that IF he exists...he allowed me to wander off by his lack of reaction/action.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Why do so many of you persist in the idea that you can find the truth written down in a book somewhere? Or on the Internet? Who taught Pythagoras the things he knew? Or Plato? Or Edgar Cayce? Every myth and every philosopher has been telling us for millennia that all the knowledge is within you somewhere. It's called Gnosis. How else do you explain psychics? Is every single one of them a charlatan? Or are they all getting help from "Satan" to fool us all?

Stop attacking each other over nonsense and accept the fact that you are much much more, in fact infinitely more than what is confined to your physical body and physical brain. You are a mostly unplugged antenna to the Universal Consciousness, but there is every indication that is changing. A Zodiacal Year is 25,920 years long. Half of it is day, half of it is night. We've been in the dark for 13 millennia. Do the math.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Re: the virgin birth.

You guys need to get out more, being born of a virgin is no biggie nowadays.

I know of at least one young lady that had a child and she was a virgin.

Artificial insemenation has take care of that issue a long time ago.

Science has proven that a virgin birth is "no biggie".

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Was there a man named Jesus, who was called the Christ, living in Palestine approximately twenty centuries ago, whose life and teachings are represented correctly in the account in the New Testament?

Even a believer will often say NO. So let me soften that. Forget whether the Bible was correct. Was there a man who was really the son of God (or God himself) living in Palestine? Did he command nature, itself? Even more basic, did a man who claimed to be the son of God exist, whose life became the basis of the new testament stories?

The Christian religions have absorbed, for many centuries, some of the best energies of mankind. Christianity has shown itself to be one of the greatest enemies of knowledge, of freedom, of social and industrial improvement, and of the genuine brotherhood of mankind. The question, "Did Jesus Christ Really Live?" goes to the root of the conflict between reason and faith.

Claims of contact by the spirit world in various ways cannot be verified. Whether Christ lived or not, has nothing at all to do with what the churches teach, or with what we believe, It is wholly a matter of evidence. If no verifiable evidence for his existence can be found, he will have to take his place with other demigods whose lives and deeds make up the mythology of the world. He will be the equivalent of Hercules.

I dismiss Paul's writings in considering the questions. Paul wrote of a timeless Christ and wrote nothing of the stories of the baby, the man at the temple, or the man put to death. His Christ was already dead and reborn.

The main stories, the Gospels themselves, do not claim to have been written by the men whose names are inscribed. No human being knows when they were written, or where, or by whom they were written. Biblical scholarship has established the (argueable) fact that the Gospel of Mark is the oldest of the four. The chief reasons for this conclusion are that this Gospel is shorter, simpler, and more natural, than any of the other three. It is shown that the Gospels of Matthew and Luke were enlarged from the Gospel of Mark. The Gospel of Mark knows nothing of the virgin birth, of the Sermon on the Mount, of the Lord's prayer, or of other important facts of the supposed life of Christ. These features were added by the Gospels of Matthew and Luke.

According to scholars, the Gospel of Mark, as we have it, is not an original writing from inspiration or imagination. In the same way that the writers of Matthew and Luke copied and enlarged the Gospel of Mark, the writer of Mark copied and enlarged an earlier document which is called the "original Mark." This original source perished in the early age of the Church. What it was, who wrote it, where it was written, nobody knows. The Gospel of John is admitted by Christian scholars to be an unhistorical document. They acknowledge that it is not a life of Christ, but an interpretation of him; that it gives us an idealized and spiritualized picture of what Christ is supposed to have been, and that it is largely composed of the speculations of Greek philosophy. The Gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke, which are called the "Synoptic Gospels," on the one hand, and the Gospel of John, on the other, stand at opposite extremes of thought. So complete is the difference between the teaching of the first three Gospels and that of the fourth, that every critic admits that if Jesus taught as the Synoptics relate, he could not possibly have taught as John declares. Indeed, in the first three Gospels and in the fourth, we meet with (at least) two entirely different Christs.

I mention the above information because, while believers will dismiss what scholars believe, it has merit that the Gospels are just nothing more than written stories of a mythical Jesus. There are stories just as well written about Hercules or Achilles. There is not the smallest fragment of trustworthy evidence to show that any of the four Gospels were in existence earlier than a hundred years after the time at which Christ is supposed to have died. Christian scholars, having no means by which to set the date of their writing, assign as early an age as their calculations and their guesses will allow, but even their dates are beyond the age of Christ or his apostles. We are told that Mark was written some time after the year 70, Luke about 110, Matthew about 130, and John not earlier than 140 A.D. These dates are as early as possible.

Evidence suggests even later dates. Regardless, how can Gospels which were not written until at least somewhere between thirty-five (very generous number) and one hundred-fifty years after Christ is supposed to have died, and which do not rest on any trustworthy testimony, have the slightest value as evidence that he really lived?

We cannot rely on Pat Garret's account of the shooting of Billy the Kid, which was written by an eye witness while the events were fresh in his memory. He had reasons to mislead and was selling his writings. History is full of misleading hero stories about people like George Washington or the man called the Buddha. But to dare question the validity of the Gospels, why is that likened to blasphemy?

Christ is supposed to have been a Jew, and his disciples are said to have been Jewish fishermen. His language, and the language of his followers was Aramaic. But the Gospels are written in Greek--every one of them. Every leading Christian scholar has stated that they were originally written in Greek. Foreign Gospels, written by unknown men, in a foreign tongue, one to several generations after the events- that is the evidence relied upon to prove that Jesus lived.

Further, the oldest Gospels that we have are supposed to be copies of copies of copies that were made from the original Gospels. We do not know who made these copies, we do not know when they were made; nor do we know whether they were honestly made. Between the earliest Gospels and the oldest existing manuscripts of the New Testament, there is three hundred years. The only way to reduce that gap is to accept a later writing of the first Gospels. It is, therefore, impossible to say what the original Gospels contained.

Uncomfortable facts came out for Christians that have not had to be dealt with during most of the centuries that have passed since the writing of the "four" Gospels. There were many Gospels in circulation in the early centuries, and a large number of them were forgeries. Among these were the "Gospel of Paul," the Gospel of Bartholomew," the "Gospel of Judas Iscariot," the "Gospel of the Egyptians," the "Gospel or Recollections of Peter," the "Oracles or Sayings of Christ," and others. Obscure men wrote Gospels and attached the names of prominent Christian characters to them, to give them the appearance of importance. Works were forged in the names of the apostles, and even in the name of Christ. The early church was flooded with religious writings. From this mass of literature, the four Gospels were selected by priests and called "the inspired word of God." Could these Gospels also also be forged?

Do the four Gospels even agree on everything, or on basic things like when or where Jesus was born? I know that Watchtower does a good job of merging the stories, but there are discrepancies that are simply ignored. Let me just say that getting Jesus to be born in the City of David's birth, getting Joseph and Mary there, yet retaining "Jesus of Nazareth" and Jesus coming out of Egypt, that was some creative writing. His home was Nazareth. It cannot even be proved that there was yet a city of Nazareth in that age? On Jesus' ministry, John tells us that the driving of the money-changers from the Temple occurred at the beginning of Christ's ministry; and nothing is said of any serious consequences following it. But Matthew, Mark and Luke declare that the Temple incident took place at the close of his career, and that this act brought upon him the wrath of the priests, who sought to destroy him. John indicates a ministry of about 3 years and the others indicate a much shorter time. Maybe we will just throw John out and have the 3 Gospels.

After his birth, Christ, as it were, vanishes out of existence, and with the exception of a single incident recorded in Luke, we hear absolutely nothing of him until he has reached the age of thirty years. If the writers of the Gospels knew the facts of the life of Christ (or were 'inspired' to write accurately), why is it that they tell us absolutely nothing of thirty years of that life? If Christ was the greatest teacher the world has known, if he came to redeem mankind from everlasting pain and death, was there nothing worth remembering in the first thirty years of his existence among men? If the one incident in Luke where Jesus was left behind in the temple were true, then there must have been many things worth remembering about such a remarkable young man.

I will go with my belief that the writings chosen to be the Gospels were chosen from those that refrained from inventing a childhood, youth and early manhood for him because it was not necessary to the purposes of those choosing such writings.

Christ is said to have been many times in Jerusalem. It is said that he preached daily in the Temple. He was followed by his twelve disciples, and by many people eager to hear his wisdom or receive his miracles. All this shows that he must have been well known to the authorities, or at least easily identified when he moved about. Indeed, he must have been one of the best known men in Jerusalem. Why was it necessary for the priests to bribe one of his disciples to betray him? Only an obscure man, whose identity was uncertain, or a man who was in hiding, would need to be betrayed. A man who appeared daily in the streets, who preached daily in the Temple, a man who was continually before the public eye, could have been arrested at any moment. The priests would not have bribed a man to identify a man everybody knew. If the accounts of Christ's betrayal are true, the declarations about his public appearances in Jerusalem must be false.

The accounts of the virgin birth of Christ, of his feeding five thousand people with five loaves and two fishes, of his cleansing the leprous, of his walking on the water, of his raising the dead, and of his own resurrection after his life had been destroyed, are as untrue as any stories that were ever told in this world. The miraculous element in the Gospels is proof that they were written by men who were not writing accurate history. The stories and miracles of the Gospels were invented.

Go back to Paul. I will state my opinion that the story of the virgin birth had not yet been invented when Paul wrote. The details of the miracles had yet to be invented. The details of Christ's death had yet to be invented. Not even a single saying of Jesus is written in what is believed to be Paul's writings, no Sermon on the Mount, no account of throwing the money-changers out of the temple, no famous prayer is recited.

The Christ of Paul and the Jesus of the Gospels are two entirely different beings. Paul was a missionary, a successful one. But just as sure as Joseph Rutherford changed the teachings of Charles Russell to continue the following, the writers changed the teachings about Jesus Christ for their own purposes. The virgin-born, miracle-working, preaching Christ was unknown to the world in Paul's day. But he was invented afterward. The Christ Paul knew a figure in a vision while on his way to Damascus- an apparition, not a living human being who preached and worked among men.

The Jesus Christ of the Gospels could not possibly have been a real person. There may have lived in Palestine, a man whose name was Jesus, who went about doing good, who was followed by admiring associates, and who in the end met a violent death. But of this possible person, not a line was written when he lived, and of his life and character the world of today knows absolutely nothing. This Jesus, if he lived, was a man; and if he was a reformer, he was but one of many that have lived and died in every age of the world.

I made a new year's resolution to stop reading anything from Watchtower and to cut back on discussions of this sort. Instead, I will seek personal peace. I know that writing as I did above will only start arguments with believers. So I jumped in one last time before my resolution kicks in for January. My reasons for staying the course this long are that I truly believer that when the world finally learns and accepts that the Christ of the Gospels is a myth, that Christianity is untrue, it will turn its attention from the religious fictions of the past to the vital problems of today, and endeavor to solve them for the improvement of the well-being of the real men and women whom we know, and whom we ought to help and love. I believe we will succeed in that endeavor (one day).

But since that day has not arrived, I join the believers in wishing people a Merry Christmas or a Festive Festivus. I exchange gifts with loved ones because they choose this time of year. I love my SECULAR CHRISTMAS along with the Japanese, the Buddhists, even the Jews, who exchange gifts in mid to late December. Thanks for the enjoyable thread. Tear apart what I said above, I might read what you say. But I won't rejoin this type of debate for the back-and-forth arguments. You enjoy your Jesus and I will enjoy Santa Claus, just as real but much more fun.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Yes allow to wander aguest...does he take no responsibility for HIS lack of action?

Oh, dear ST... peace to you... and I am truly sorry for the "hurt" YOU feel as a result of feeling abandoned. Christ didn't leave or abandon you, dear one: others STOLE you away... and he's been looking and calling for YOU ever since. It's not HIS fault, dear one, that... due to the ABUSE you received at the hands of such thieves YOU are now "shy" of ANY shepherd, including him.

He allows people who love him to be mislead, he allows people who love him to wander by simply not being there when that person is in spiritual destitution.

First, dear one... do such people TRULY love him? How can they... if they don't even KNOW him? They may know OF him... but that is not the same thing, not at all. I mean, I love YOU... simply because you are a fellow human being... and based on what I "know" about you from posting here. But do I really KNOW you... so as to TRULY love you? I don't see how.

Even so, that's not what happens. He doesn't ALLOW it. Indeed, he INSTRUCTS his sheep... so that they are NOT misled. HIS sheep... "do NOT listen to the voice of strangers." If one does, one is not one of his sheep. Some of us were deceived into following those who would steal us away, yes. But something was ALWAYS "wrong" with their "voice." Althought they SAID it was the Voice of OUR shepherd, it never quite rang true... and so we couldn't listen to it. Which caused us problems, did it not? But we may have stayed... because we didn't know the Way "home"... yet. Once we heard the Voice of OUR shepherd, though... CALLING OUT FOR US... we RAN back... and began to follow HIM... and no one else. Because we KNOW his Voice.

What, though, if, again, such a sheep was SO "abused"... or became SO shy of "captivity"... that THEY choose not to listen to ANY voice... including his? He can chase that "lamb" until kingdom come, dear one... but IT doesn't want to come to him... how is that HIS fault? HE wasn't the one who stole and/or abused the sheep.

Girl, that's like blaming your parents if you're abducted by some pervert: spending the rest of your life blaming them, saying, "Why didn't YOU protect me? Why did YOU let that bad man take me?" That may be true of our fleshly parents, who all but GAVE us to such thieves, but they were "stolen" themselves... and, perhaps suffered "Stockholm Syndrome". Like Jamie Duggard, who bore two children for a man that abducted her, robbed her of her childhood, and repeatedly raped her. Look how long it took HER to say, "No. No more."

I tried your 'ask him directly' still waiting to hear from him...

WHO, dear one? WHO did you ask "directly"? And THROUGH whom? You didn't answer that, love.

I explained my faith was crumbling...

Your faith in who? "Jehovah"? "Jesus"? If so, it was SUPPOSED to crumble, dear one... because there IS NO SUCH ONE. Your faith was in non-existent deities created by man... to "dominate his fellow man to his detriment."

waited...still no whisper...yup..I have to conclude that IF he exists...he allowed me to wander off by his lack of reaction/action.

You have to conclude what YOU "want" to conclude, dear one. I can't convince you of anything. I have no influence on or control over YOUR faith. That is entirely on you. I can only surmise that you don't have children... or if you do, would readily blame yourself if someone evil abducted them when they "wandered" for less than a second. Someone who lays in wait for you to BLINK... and takes advantage of that occurrence. I know MOST parents would blame themselves... but that is due to their remorse, not to any real culpability on their part. It's not only not rational, however, but unreasonable. Yet, it's what we do. You assume that Christ doesn't feel the same way. You are wrong. He is looking... and calling, dear one. And, as he said, he won't lose ONE, not ONE... except the one already lost, the Son of Destruction.

I would exhort you, then, if you are so inclined... if you WANT to... to keep asking, keep seeking, and keep knocking... NOW. But it's entirely your choice. You don't have to, of course. But NOW... that really IS on you, dear one... and no one else.

Again, peace to you... and may the Most Holy One of Israel grant YOU ears (Psalm 40:6)... if YOU truly WISH them... so as to hear when the Spirit and the Bride say to YOU:

"Come!" Come, dear "Still"... and "take 'life's water'... FREE!"

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• sabastious
    sabastious

Awesome post OTWO. I would just like to say that we're only the top of the food chain in the first 4 dimensions. The next 7 are yet to be truly distinguished. We know that life (us) exists within the dimensions of height, width, depth and time. It is not unreasonable to believe that other life exists and is invisible to us because we cannot percieve them even though they can us. If you truly want humans to start focusing on the planet's problems I would suggest encouraging people to continue to seek out the mysteries of life in an attempt to, at the very least, "call out for help."

-Sab

• designs
    designs

Good essay. Festivus For The Rest Of Us

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

OTWO, you need to check some of your facts bro.

EX: the oldest parchment of the GOJ is a COPY and it is dated 100-130 AD so that means the original is much older.

Pretty much every scholar will tell you that THE even of the NT was the resurrection ( regardles of what they believe about it), it was the focal point of everything.

And scholars do NOT say that the gospel writers COPIED Mark, they say that Mark could be ( probably is) one of the sources for the GOM and GOL.

Using an early avaible text as a source for citations was very common in those days ( as it still is).

• clarity
    clarity

OnTheWayOut ........

I don't know who you are... really I mean ... but I sure like how you write.

What you write, makes me pause. Makes me think critically.

>

The lack of critical thinking has been my downfall ... right into a cult!

Words like yours have been painful, eye opening and motivating, thanks for taking the time and effort to write them!

So grateful to be free and back to the lovely normal person I used to be .... with a whole lot more experience, understanding, caution and compassion!

If you are reading this ... I'll miss you & thanks!

clarity

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

PSac, again- I won't rejoin this type of debate for the back-and-forth arguments.

Have it your way if you are so sure. See, that's part of what causes so much trouble. People argue over such details and then it is forgotten that the writings still were anonymous and after-the-fact and the originals are gone.

Copied or wrote based on.... Have it your way again. Changes nothing.

Pretty much every scholar will tell you that THE even of the NT was the resurrection ( regardles of what they believe about it), it was the focal point of everything.

Please make that statement clearer. I don't know what you mean. I won't bother responding, but you should be clear. What is "the even of the NT" ? If you are just trying to say what the focal point of the writings was, I never commented on the focal point and I won't dispute what various people believe is the reason for writing. We are all free to believe what we want.

Peace to you all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit