Jesus Christ was INVENTED?

by sizemik 102 Replies latest watchtower bible

• glenster
  • tec
    tec

I love the way Tec dismisses the claims of others but automatically accepts the same ridiculous claim that Christ was born of a virgin.

I think you might have missed my point.

Those Christ-mythers are claiming that all these accounts of god-men are born of virgins, when the only account that makes that claim is the one of Christ. So the point that Christ is just a rehashed Horus, Osiris, Krishna, Buddha, etc, etc... is a false contrivane based on shoddy/lazy research .

It has nothing to do with dismissing that the others were actually born of virgins... or died on crosses, or went to the underworld, or were baptized by John or 'Anup' the baptizer, etc, etc. It has everything to do with the fact that the actual accounts make no mention of these supposed 'facts.'

I don't think Jesus was invented in that he probably did exist, but I do think certain aspects were added afterwards and attributed to him.

I think the same, that this could be true. Which ones those could be, I have no idea.

The virgin birth being one of them.

Perhaps. Who knows for sure other than Mary, God, and Christ Himself... and anyone they choose to reveal that to?

Makes no difference to me if Christ was born of a fleshly virgin, or someone who was pure (virginal) in spirit... or anything else, really. What matters to me is Christ and all He taught and did and promised.

What exists today is an exaggerated version, a embelleshed biography. Of course he never really walked on water, he was a man like any other.

Again, some parts... perhaps. Who knows for sure other than those who were there, and those Christ chooses to reveal these things to?

Do I expect Tec and others to agree? Nope, they would deny the existence of their own noses if it contradicted their religious fantasy.

Since you misunderstood me from the start, I think its a safe bet that you don't know what I would deny or embrace.

I don't 'la la la la' to facts presented to me, in order to preserve my 'version' of faith. The closest I came to doing that was with regard to this very topic. I kept hearing about these other god-men and how Christ was just a copycat, and I kept ignoring them... until my husband told me about Zeitgeist, and did a 'ha ha in your face song and dance'. And yes, he really did, lol. So I called myself a coward not to face this challenge to my faith, and I read the claims, then I did the research. If my faith was all a lie, then I should know and face the truth, and if not, then I should still know and face the truth - if only to have an answer for my husband.

Then of course I found that the claims were baseless, and I was mad at myself for doubting to begin with when I should have known better. Because at the top of many 'copycat god-men' is a Dec. 25th birth. Which everyone on this site should know is NOT Christ's birthdate, and how in the world would anyone know that this was the birthdate of 'god-men from thousands of years even before Christ? It was just people trying to make a case against Christ, and not caring about shoddy research or outright lies - or they would have known very easily not to include December 25th as Christ's date of birth. Just people who wanted NOT to believe, and so let themselves believe lies... sort of like denying the e x istence of their own noses if it contradicted their atheism;)

Peace to you,

Tammy

• sizemik
    sizemik

Well obviously there is much conjecture on the subject . . . but I was more interested in the reliability of this particular article and some of the more critical aspects of it ie; the reliability of Eusebius and the Roman influence.

Most of the claims of BS are not even directed at the article itself and remain unsupported (surprised? - no)

@sab . . . your analogy sums up my assessment . . . both before and after this discussion . . . and was probably the main reason for the thread.

One thing . .

Leo pretty much summed it up on the botton, as she usually does.
    If Leolaia says it's BS ... it's BS.

No offence to Leolaia . . . her knowledge of this subject is far greater than mine. But personally I hesitate to place infallibility in anyones input . . . that's already caused me trouble before today.

But thank you all for your input . . . I am not conversant with the subject in depth but this has answered some of my outstanding questions anyway. The existence of an individual on which JC was based is quite likely, though not provable . . . but the chances of him being accurately depicted in any historical records, bible included, are virtually nil.

With the reliability on oral transmission, the political agendas involved with early Christianity, and the parallels to earlier religious mythology . . . the divinity of JC appears to have little more credibility than any other myth-based religion existing today.

But I stand to be corrected . . . I am still perusing some of your links.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Thank you for the interchange and information, dear Sab. Again, I can't agree with all that you've shared but, as my Lord said: "He that is not against you... is for you."

You are welcome! I enjoy speaking with everyone here.

I have this weird idea of Jesus going to Asia and getting himself a wife and trying to settle down. There must have been really peaceable places to settle there where people would just want to to hang off of tree limbs with their jaws and stuff like that. It must have been an alluring culture. Of course this is a Bible story we are talking about. Jesus was supposed to be liberating the Jews, but here he was kicking it oldschool in Asia and getting enlightened. This was a misuse of his time so God gave his wife a deadly pathogen and she died a horrible and painful death. It's not like he didn't know it was going to happen, kinda, well he should have.

Anyway that's my basic explanation for why Jesus seemed so keen on giving negative advice about the "look but not touch" system.

I'm just joshin' with ya, I'm not really a heretic. , but seriously Jesus had to learn that sh*t the hard way.

-Sab

• tec
    tec

Well, here is one on-line encyclopedia... encylopedia mythica... that you can read summaries of all the gods/god-men, and see for yourself what similarities there are.

http://www.pantheon.org/

Happy researching.

Peace,

Tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

If there really was a god or a christ...would they seriously make it so difficult for people other than Leolaia to understand?...some god...thanks Jesus for making us need an interpreter...you're the bomb!!!

• tec
    tec

If there really was a god or a christ...would they seriously make it so difficult for people other than Leolaia to understand?...

What do you mean by that? Make what so difficult? People make it so difficult by lying and being lazy, and making crap up.

I'm definitely no Leo, but I had the sham searched out in an afternoon. (at least in regard to the copycat stuff) Just look up the actual myths to see whether or not they hold any water to the claims being made. Even just getting a myth book out of the library and checking it out. Its a pain sometimes, sure... but that's the fault of the people lying, not Christ or God.

Peace,

Tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

Make everything about himself so difficult tec. Hard to find, needs interpreting by others. Good grief, just look at all the books on the subject of spirituality, christianity...religion. People are supposed to sift through this information and KNOW what is true and what isn't. Even the different interpretations/translations of the bible make it difficult to know what is true and what isn't. And then there are the poor buggers who have not even been exposed to christianity...poor them

How about the amount of people on this site that have to ask each other what the hell it all means? Why would a god who wants us to know HIM make us go through such an excercise? Why should we need people like Leolaia, Aguest or even you to tell us what things mean or what is correct or not correct? (no disrespect to you all by the way, I happen to think you're all great) But why?

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Why would a god who wants us to know HIM make us go through such an excercise?

He doesn't, dear, dear ST (the greatest of love and peace to you, dear one!). Nobody needs to exercise anything... except faith... in Christ, the image of God. No one needs to go through anything... or anyone... except Christ, the Door. NO ONE needs me, dear tec or Leolaia (peace to you, both!)... or any elder, pastor, pope, reverend... ANYONE... except Christ... to tell you what things mean or what is correct or not correct. YOU, dear one, can see and understand God. All you need to do is look at and listen to... so as to know... so as to understand... Christ, the One He has "held up" FOR us to look at.

I realize that that can be difficult. I would say, start with what you DO know about him... and then ask to know more. Indeed, to KNOW... HIM. Because if you know Christ, you can't help BUT know God. Because, again... he is the image of God.

Peace to you!

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• still thinking
    still thinking

If that is the case Aguest...then why, after years of prayer (and not just JW prayer by the way)...and serching have I come to the point where I am more confused about the whole thing? and it makes less and less sense the more I look at it?

Was I not good enough? Was I not honest hearted enough? Did he read my heart and decide I wasn't worthy? Not enough faith? What possible reason could there be to allow someone who loved him to wander away? Oh, guess it's my fault.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit