"It's Ok to Lie"

by Azazel 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

theocratic warfare

I have not been to kh for about ten years, but I can remember this from the 90s possibly even earlier

• sizemik
    sizemik

Sorry st . . . I couldn't help muhself.

It was only my usual BS anyway . . .

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

It's not new, but I think it's interesting to see it presented at the meeting. If you look up the word "lie" in Insight on the Scriptures, you will see the same wording. The WT has their own way of defining what a lie is. Here are some excerpts from their definition:

Lie. The opposite of truth. Lying generally involves saying something false to a person who is entitled to know the truth and doing so with the intent to deceive or to injure him or another person. . . . While malicious lying is definitely condemned in the Bible, this does not mean that a person is under obligation to divulge truthful information to people who are not entitled to it. Jesus Christ counseled: "Do not give what is holy to dogs, neither throw your pearls before swine, that they may never trample them under their feet and turn around and rip you open." (Mt 7:6) That is why Jesus on certain occasions refrained from giving full information or direct answers to certain questions when doing so could have brought unnecessary harm. (Mt 15:1-6; 21:23-27; Joh 7:3-10) Evidently, the course of Abraham, Isaac, Rahab, and Elisha in misdirecting or in withholding full facts from nonworshippers of Jehovah must be viewed in the same light. (Insight on the Scriptures Vol. 2 pp 244-245)

• still thinking
    still thinking

You wouldn't 'LIE' to me now, would you sizemik?

All is forgiven

• sizemik
    sizemik
    your regular Dub is now being taught to behave like the Governing Body and lie to high heaven to protect the "Truth". . . . cedars

Agreed . . . it's becoming gradually more spoken of it seems.

It slots in comfortably next to the "them v us" mentality and the denial of past mistakes/failures. Very cultish in this light. Symptomatic of attrition and revenue fears no doubt.

• irondork
    irondork

The rank and file are not considered "entitled to hear the truth"?

• sizemik
    sizemik

still thinking . . . you can ask me anything . . . I will answer truthfully or not at all . . . you're entitled to it.

@InterestedOne . . . that's the core theocratic warfare doctrine.

It's a very arbitrary application of Matt 7;6. And I can't get over the cheek of using JC as an example of when it's OK to "lie". Jesus didn't deliberately "mislead" anybody . . . but they cleverly add that thought, using the OT examples to complete the teaching. Interestingly, each of the OT examples involve a snap moral judgement . . . not premeditated lying as a regular acceptable practice.

• cedars
    cedars

The rank and file are not considered "entitled to hear the truth"?

In the words of Nicholson, the Governing Body probably takes the position:

"you can't handle the TRUTH!"

Cedars

• cantleave
    cantleave

Of course it is OK to lie, the who cult is based on a fabrication of lies and deciet!

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

Here are some relatively recent (within the past decade) WT excerpts related to this topic.

From Come Be My Follower:

Jesus' illustrations, then, revealed truth to those whose hearts hungered for it; at the same time, his illustrations concealed truth from those with proud hearts. . . . As followers of Christ, we want to imitate his way of teaching, including his use of illustrations. (Come Be My Follower pp 119-120)

From WT 2/1/2007 article Why Be Truthful?

. . . . Moreover, we need to consider whether the person asking for information is entitled to a comprehensive answer. . . . What example did Jesus Christ set in this regard? On one occasion, Jesus was conversing with some unbelievers who showed interest in his travel plans. "Pass on over from here and go into Judea," they advised him. What was Jesus' reply? "You go up to the festival [in Jerusalem]; I am not yet going up to this festival, because my due time has not yet fully come." Shortly thereafter, Jesus did travel to Jerusalem for the festival. Why did he answer that way? They were not entitled to know the exact details of his whereabouts. So while Jesus did not utter an untruth, he gave them an incomplete answer in order to limit the possible harm they could do to him or to his followers. . . . (WT 2/1/2007 p. 6)

From WT 11/15/2004 article The Tent of the Upright Ones Will Flourish

The faithful witness does not commit perjury when testifying. His testimony is not tainted with lies. However, this does not mean that he is under obligation to give full information to those who may want to bring harm to Jehovah's people in some way. The patriarchs Abraham and Isaac withheld facts from some who did not worship Jehovah. (Genesis 12:10-19; 20:1-18; 26:1-10) Rahab of Jericho misdirected the king's men. (Joshua 2:1-7) Jesus Christ himself refrained from divulging total information when doing so would have caused needless harm. (John 7:1-10) He said: "Do not give what is holy to dogs, neither throw your pearls before swine." Why not? So that "they may never . . . turn and rip you open." -- Matthew 7:6. (WT 11/15/2004 p.28)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit