"It's Ok to Lie"

by Azazel 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sizemik
    sizemik

@Interested one . . . thank you for that 2007 WT quote. Having been out for a while, it's one I haven't seen.

On the face of that quote . . . the example used seems to be stretching a long bow to draw such a definitive conclusion as they have. Jesus simply answered their question. I note that a scriptural reference isn't included. Was it cited at all? . . . I would be keen to read the biblical context.

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

The scripture is John 7:1-10. They also refer to it in the 2004 quote.

• sizemik
  • NewChapter
    NewChapter

They've mentioned many times that it's okay to lie to those that don't deserve the truth---however this was a ciruit overseer.

Which means the dubs will translate is as: "O, the end is really, really, close now! We are being prepared for the persecution. They want to make sure we understand before it comes. I never heard a CO tell us this before, and he is bringing the message straight from bethel. Food at the proper time! The brothers are preparing us. Yep, the end is real close now."

NC

• AwareBeing
    AwareBeing

Yeh guys, they've been teaching that for over a decade. It has also been applied to the situation of being incarcerated by the authorities. "They don't deserve the truth" and "it will be misused," why of course! That's the nature of governments, to do what's necessary to retain power. But it was the statement: "It's okay to lie" that was a falsehood! I applied that WT theology in the workplace and got severely burnt! I lost all credibility, and no one would heard a word from me on biblical topics. I was reducesd to secular advice for years. Looking back; "My parents weren't the best, but they taught me better than that!" Family or religion; families aren't very accurate, but they can be more honest than religion! If WT respected GOD, His word and the truth; they would not have been practicing this anti-truth policy for over a decade. "It's okay to lie." Hence; this is another anti-Christ alert, that "has flashed up" in NY.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

its ok to lie to them(elders) because they dont deserve to hear the truth.

I just shocked myself!

When I read that line........I said to myself, THAT'S FOR SURE! Years past, I would have considered lying to the elders, esp in a formal inquisition to be equal to blasphemy! Now, I reason, NO ONE who may take any action against you that would cause you harm, suffering, or even inconvenience DESERVES TO HEAR THE TRUTH. I've always felt that way about the authorities. Shut up and call an attorney. Never admit guilt.

WOW! It's been a slow 180 to get here.

DOC

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

definition of a lie is saying something false to a person who is entitled to know the truth -- Insight Book

I wonder who gets to decide about WHO is entitled? The person asking the question? Or, the person answering?

OH LOOK! The WT answers that:

From WT 2/1/2007 article Why Be Truthful?

". . . . Moreover, we need to consider whether the person asking for information is entitled to a comprehensive answer. . ."

That sums it up rather nicely, doesn't it.

DOC

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

In case any may wonder, I do not agree with JW's, but.......

Is there some reference where they actually state that it is okay to lie? By strict definition, I would certainly differentiate between withholding information and giving false information.

Even in the U.S. the Government provides the right for an individual to not speak and incriminate oneself ... withholding information here wouldn't be called a lie.

• lohengren
    lohengren
    Even in the U.S. the Government provides the right for an individual to not speak and incriminate oneself ... withholding information here wouldn't be called a lie.

True but what's alarming, at least in my opinion, is that this is basically the society (which is supposed to be the complete opposite of a worldly government) telling it's members that it's okay for US to lie to YOU. Of course this is not a new development, but now that I'm out I can see how this flies in the face of everything I beleived about the ORG when I was in it. The ways that they can apply this are numerous, covering up scandals, justifying false prophecies etc.

And the rank and file are just lapping this shit up. It's sickening.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

When I read that line........I said to myself, THAT'S FOR SURE! Years past, I would have considered lying to the elders, esp in a formal inquisition to be equal to blasphemy

Me too DOC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit