What Are Your Hobbies Now That You're Out?

by lilbluekitty 33 Replies latest social entertainment

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

I've been getting really into cooking lately! I do have most of the same hobbies I had before, (I've always been into art and reading and watching movies and travelling) only now I can do them whenever and don't have to worry about meetings getting in the way or people telling me I spend too much time with "recreation."

• mrquik
    mrquik

I got my NY pistol permit & have a nice collection of handguns. Joined a hunting club. Go to the gym more often. Especially enjoy driving past the hall on Sunday mornings to go. I figure I'm spending my time more wisely working out than sitting on my ass for 2 hrs. Helped my mother-in-law decorate her house for Christmas. Went Christmas shopping with my new wife. Had 2 great Thanksgiving dinners with both families. Trying to catch up on all the things lost over 50 yrs in the cult.

• rebel8
    rebel8

One major mistake I made was to become overly involved in volunteer work. It is not healthy to have 2 jobs and then have hobbies that are work-like. I think the cult programming made me think I had to do productive things all the time.

Now I am working on being more balanced without feeling guilty. I do have a lot of interests--cooking, art, hiking, reading, etc.

• N.drew
    N.drew

Reading! I know that JWs have little time to read anything but Watchtower stuff.

Even when I was unemployed with only the cooking cleaning and shopping to do I had very little time to do anything relaxing.

I can't imagine how impossible it must feel like to work full time and also do everything suggested by the FDS.

I was never a pioneer. I can't fathom that the FDS says family, work, home, and also pioneer is possible. But you'll feel closer to Jehovah they say. They're in BIG trouble. Very big trouble.

My hobby is also JWN. And before I found it I was a button collector/seller. I have buttons. Lots and lots of antique buttons. I also sell stuff at the flee market sometimes.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

I love gardening, Taking my dog on scenic walks, Antiquing, music, karoakie. I can't wait to try out for local musical theatre. Next spring I'm going to join the college show pop group.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

For the first time in decades I read a book that wasn't published by the WT. I have time to sit by the river to watch the sunset...On Saturday morning I get up early and wash my motorcyle before I go for a long ride...beats driving around for 2 hours to speak to as few people as possible. I spend hours playing with my grand children. I maintain and remodel my house instead of Kingdom and Assembly Halls. I play hockey with "wordly" people who are actually less agressive then the JWs I used to play with - and I no longer have to share their religious beliefs to be part of the team...

• AwareBeing
    AwareBeing

Without cult leaders and lier's in my life, my hobby is... reading, school and helping neighbors.

Kind of like the WT mold without the cult praise, or the corporate beatings for not doing enough.

I use their mold to worship God better, free people's lives and learn the real truth myself.

That is; the parts of the truth, that proves that everything they had us do was for them along!

There-fore; real truth is not selective learning, but requires analyzing all angles not WT's only.

I'm no longer keeping up with every word spoken by stupid men who can't make up their minds!

So my hobby is about God, and His creation. This does not include corporations; their not people.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Learning to knit, crochet things for others.

Creating things by hand is part of my pagan journey.

I love to read a lot of Steven King, John Grisham, Janet Evanovich, Stephenie Meyer, and Charlaine Harris, and Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Love my pets and love to cook, when there is someone to cook for.

I enjoy exploring the spiritual path that resonates with me best: Wicca.

I ride my bike and walk my dog.

Just acquired a cute little grey mouse.

So, I have a dog, cat, and mouse to keep me company.

Making friends without thought to their publisher record card or what their reputation is in the congregation (cuz they don't go!).

Have an awesome relationship with Egg and Spawn, now.

My life has never been richer since leaving the JW religion.

Here was my life in the JW's: Pulling teeth to get two kids ready for meetings they didn't want to go to.

Trying to force feed spiritual feces down their throats when they didn't want it.

Had a strained relationship with Egg and Spawn.

Pining away for a suitable mate. I still think about finding someone but no longer am depressed with it.

Attempting to be friends with people who didn't want to be friends with me, even though they were instant friends but weren't...huh?

Going out in service with a car load of old women who bitched about this and that and gossiped (slandered?) about anyone just to make themselves look good.

I was so depressed and angry.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Writing; novels, short stories, a couple of articles about the borg, a bunch of articles on business related topics. Reading a lot (but I did that while I was in). Put together a couple of detailed 1/700 model kits (USS Washington, USS Hornet with the Doolittle raiders embarked). I'm looking for another one to do. Play with the granddaughter. Watch football or baseball on Saturdays and Sundays.

• Azazel
    Azazel

Reading lots and lots for fun. Never having to struggle to compose a public talk to help force feed WTBS down the listeners throat(ears).

Got into Role Playing Games , only an ex-jw could comprehend how awesomly easy it is to play a character interacting with others in far imaginary worlds.

Taking my dog for a walk.

Bike riding.

Going to a NHL/NFL/NBA game as much as time permits and standing for the anthem..

Reading all about you my friends on this forum

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit