Does the Watchtower Society have the "Biggest Lie" ever published?

by Terry 52 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• steve2
    steve2

1914 has cast a huge shadow over millions of lives.

In 1969, I had wanted to pursue a journalism course with a view to eventually taking up a newspaper reporter "intern" position. I knew I had what it takes to succeed in the field. Yet, I was also "knew" the end was coming around 1975. It was my mother who persuaded me to go pioneering instead because by the time I had earned my reporter's qualifications, I'd have just two - maybe three years - in which to work as a reporter before the end came.

The two irrefutable strands of evidence were: the generation that saw 1914 were even then dying out and the claimed 6,000 years of human existence were about to end in the mid 1970s.

Wow - what a sucker I and millions of others were!

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

There are two important aspects to the 1975 lie both originating from the bible.

The first and the most obvious is nowhere is it mentioned in the bible that god's day of judgment will come after

6000 years or symbolic Days of mankind's existence from Adam .

It does say though that no one will know the time not even the son, therefore making up any calculable dating system is basically unscriptural.

Therefore 6000 years has no relevancy to the topic in relation to when Armageddon should appear.

And secondly there is no real solidly accurate way to calculate 6000 years back to Adam's existence and end up at the fall of 1975,

this professed doctrine alone makes most bible scholars laugh with justifiable ridicule.

1975 for the WTS. was a marketing scheme to infuse the suggestion that god's day of judgment upon mankind was to happen soon

and all were advise to heed this proclamation. Unfortunately the marketing scheme did work, the WTS sold more of their pieces of literature

worldwide, more people became proselyting JWS and perhaps more money was cultivated as well from all of this activity.

The WTS. came out clear winners for a time, well at least up to and shortly past 1975, the following years weren't so good

since people started to realize what they were up to.

I think Terry makes a valid point though, the only thing that might compare in the numbers in publications would have to be the bible itself,

there's a whole bunch of lies in that book to be duly recognized.

• Terry
    Terry

Assuming facts not in evidence takes the sort of sloppy mind that shrugs off reality and builds meaning out of hand-shaped snow.

1975 was built out of snow with the crafty hands of a man without a soul.

Nothing is something and something can be anything and anything I say "is"....simply IS.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Thanks Terry. Do you have a source of the newspaper quote and the quote about education?

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

The 1975 unbiblical dating system created by the WTS. goes to show how much wool can be pulled over peoples eyes by men

proclaiming they are god's solemnly chosen voice for all mankind, but then again isn't that proclamation a part of the WTS.

self supporting marketing scheme ?

The WTS. could easily be defined as modern day profiteering false bible prophets running and operating a publishing house

but hush don't tell the Jehovah's Witnesses !

• Terry
    Terry

"Witnesses Give World Five Years at the Most" Arizona Republic, August 24, 1969

OKM June 1969, page 3

"In view of the short time left, a decision to pursue a career in this system of things is not only unwise but extremely dangerous . . ."

• steve2
    steve2

"In view of the short time left, a decision to pursue a career in this system of things is not only unwise but extremely dangerous . . ."

I had not remembered this particular quote - but, on reflection, my mother was virtually questioning my sanity in wanting to pursue a career when it was so obvious the end was so near.

In the early 1970s, the New Zealand Kingdom Ministry had a regular feature which "counted down" the number of months remaining until we'd reach 1975.

If you were a witness or even "just" affiliated with them, there was no mistaking the overt pressure the GB was putting on the rank and file to preach more and more and more because time was running out. meanwhile, over 40 years later..... The 1975 fiasco definitely qualifies as an act of cult-induced delusion.

• mrquik
    mrquik

Ahh, how I remember 1975. The end was coming. I needed to straighten my life up. I did. Married the daughter of an anointed. Became an elder. Waited with everyone else as year after year passed by. 34 yrs. later I ended that marriage & married the love of my life. I actually was expecting to be reinstated. Mercifully one of the guys on my judicial committee really wanted to make an example of me. Dragged this out for 4 yrs. ( Thanks Frank M. ) Eventually I realized it was all smoke & mirrors. Called them up & told I wasn't coming back. Any lurkers on here from the Rochester, NY area will know me. Those of you who can get out, do so. Those with too much already invested, you have my sympathy. For the rest...Live Well....Enjoy Life.

• N.drew
    N.drew

Thanks mrquik. You too live well and enjoy the life!

• steve2
    steve2
    For the rest...Live Well....Enjoy Life.

Thanks mrquik. Once bitten, twice shy. Looking back, the 1975 fiasco was a shabby, shallow and manipulative ploy, little worse than superstition. Never again will I turn the responsibility I have for my life's decisions over to anyone else, natural, supernatural or claiming to speak for the supernatural. You said it well: It's all smoke and mirrors!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit