rebel8

It's a caveman's guitar pick.

• sabastious
    sabastious

Lol rebel they invented picks first?

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious

The more I look at this thing the more it looks like a tool. Take a look at the first picture again. The sides that make the top point are perfectly straight and the bottom is too, but the bottom has a chip out of it. I am thinking about contacting some experts about this thing.

-Sab

• cult classic
    cult classic

Sab when I saw the title of this thread I immediately knew the type of rock you had found. My husband found an almost identical one about 6 years ago. I think it was in a metro park or on the lake here in Ohio. Let us know what you come up with.

edit - he found it at the lake.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

It is almost certainly not a tool. It's not the right type of rock. It appears to be a sedmentary rock, they are too soft and not suitable for tool making, either arrowheads or hand axes.

As to whether or not it could have "easily" formed, I can imagine at least two scenarios where water could have created that rock shape and at least one with an ice/water combination.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

How about an balanced inverted triagular rock with a tree growing on top of it?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-AIH4T5cTKVs/TWbRjfieEjI/AAAAAAAACZo/b9u3ZpEbnW0/s1600/DSC_0030.JPG

• tec
    tec

That last one's easy because water erodes from the bottom up, like when tides come i and such. I was at Hopewell Rocks this past summer. That's what they are.

Right there in the middle of the forest is strange, if that's real.

I think that trinagular rock is pretty cool, Sab. You should check out some geologist sites to see what they have to say about such things.

Peace,

Tammy

• St George of England
    St George of England

I think the colour and shape give it away.

It's that rare element - Russellite!

George

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

When the corner or a homogenous material is stressed and breaks the math would have it break often in a triangular pattern. The math relates to how the stress loads internal to the material. Take a look at the following photo and review broken tile in the background. It’s loaded with triangular shapes for this very reason.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveparker/4876580445/

Marvin Shilmer

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com

• AGuest
    AGuest

It's a "brown triangle," dear Sab (peace to you!), used by prehistoric tribal factions to identify those who worshipped their gods by eating dirt (hence, the brown). The latter were required to carry these stones in the pockets of their animal skin overcoats to identify them when passing through the forest, desert, plains, or crossing the seas. Seeing them eat dirt just wasn't sufficient to identify them, as apparently, certain ones of the former [secretly] ate dirt, too... but were considered to be of the "pure" species (i.e., those who ate leaves and small animals) - and so the real dirt eaters weren't always readily identifiable.

It's a treasure and rare find... and I think it belongs in a museum. Check with your local natural history or anthropological society. I hear they're always looking for such artifacts!

Peace to you!

SA, on her own...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit