Found an oddly shaped rock would like some help if possible

by sabastious 70 Replies latest jw friends

• N.drew
    N.drew

Hahahaha?

AGuest that is either very good or very good!!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Looks like natural water erosion to me.

I'm no geologist, but I'm wondering if the rock was at one time close to flowing water and debris that tapered one end and then there was a simple fracture at a right angle to it that separated the stone from its source and then simply the three corners eroded further as the stone moved to the location you found it. *shrug*

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I think you found the model for Russell's headstone

• sabastious
    sabastious

Ok here's my current hypothesis after reading this thread:

The rock is a natural formation, possibly involving glaciers which means it could travel "down stream" and be picked up by whoever. The triangle shape would be noticed by intelligent life and then utilized as a tool. It may have had a wooden element that is now detached. I bet when it was found it had three perfectly straight edges and now only has two because it was used as a tool.

Of course I could be wrong, but I'm on the case.

-Sab

• N.drew
    N.drew

Does AGuest plan on writing a book?

Googled "dirt eater goat worship"

Too bad it's already a book because it is definitely a book seed.

I still don't know. Call me gullible.

• sabastious
    sabastious

AGuest, would you mind explaining to me how you came to this "brown triangle" conclusion? It's quite facinating.

-Sab

• N.drew
    N.drew

Isn't it the funniest thing? I think she made it up. But if it's true, her trivial knowledge is extraordinary.

She might never answer. It would be a carrot to go for. Someday I will find you Shelby, and I'll wrestle you down. TELL ME!!! Did you make it up? Don't tell us now. Make us live forever!!!! I'll find you....

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I've been studying a lot about stone tools in my anthropology class, but I'm not an expert. However some of the things I've learned---

There would have to be some evidence of this stone being worked. Ancient tools are usually made of flint or a similar rock, and then they are struck with a hammerstone or other tool to chip it off and shape it in flakes. Archeologists will look at the patterns that went into forming the tool, and also the scars made while using the tool to determine it's use. Even then, it's a tough call since rocks can be reworked and changed.

It doesn't look like there's been any working on this rock---unless the scars are not coming through. Still it's cool, and you should keep it.

I recently watched a flintknapper and made him show me how it worked with ancient tools---since he preferred more modern equipment for working the stone. It was kind of funny, he was able to do it, and he understood it, but he was clumsy with the traditional hammerstone.

Here is a demonstration of creating a clovis blade---which is quite common in the Americas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkoIEIi2Lrg

• sabastious
    sabastious

That's it! I am keeping it and I've named it Brown Triangle.

-Sab

• Twitch
    Twitch
    It's a caveman's guitar pick.

Actually, it looks more like a bass guitar pick; they're a lot heavier...;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit