Found an oddly shaped rock would like some help if possible

by sabastious 70 Replies latest jw friends

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

My dad and I founs an odd rock in the woods about 5 years ago.It was the size of a watermelon,obviously manmade and had a hole drilled thru it.i got intough w.the University{free!} and sent them pics of it.They then had an archeological expert come out and it turned out to be a native american canoe anchor!!! They would dive from rafts for waterlilly bulbs,and they used this type of anchor!!!! I still have it,altho my dad and the big black Lab who helped us drag it out of the woods are gone.Keep trying! It might be something cool!!!

• tec
    tec

Ummm, N Drew the rock has a name....

Well, ya!

Dwayne Johnson of course.

• unshackled
    unshackled

Haha...good one Tammy. "Do you smell what the rock is cookin?"

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

So my ex - SIL JW who is into kenesilogy told me there was a stone in the trunk of my car that was giving me bad vibes???

• N.drew
    N.drew

HaHa! I think it's Brown Triangle. Or maybe Jesus. Good thing The Lord has a throw away name! Or I might feel bad! For all you who are just checking in, it means his name has morphed into "Jesus" but he loves to be called Jaheshua.

• sabastious
    sabastious

AGuest, your story continues to facinate me. In what time period did you conduct your ancient tribal research?

-Sab

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "you seem to believe that it cannot be a tool because it's too soft. What about a tool that is used in a soft way? Any human that has ever seen this rock has picked it up. It's too uniform to not pocket at first sight. ...." Sabastious

Well, in that case. lemme suggest a test...

First, go back to the area that you first found this rock, and look around for MORE rocks like it... I suspect that there ARE more rocks of the same material, in that area - just not with such an eye-catching shape...

And speaking of which, the next one doesn't have to be "triangular" in shape; just composed of the same material...

Then try using THAT rock as a "tool"...

Tie it to a stick - and you'll probably have best results if you use dampened rawhide - NOT WET - just enough to make it flexible...

Once you've gotten it attached to the stick - and you have allowed the rawhide to become almost dry, get some pine tar or evergreen sap, and heat that - preferably over a hand-drill-generated fire - and use the sap to "cement" the rock and rawhide into position.

Then try using THAT as a "tool"....

Here's what will probably happen...

First of all, the stuff has NO EDGE - so you'll find it pretty worthless as a 'digging' tool, "axe", or anything else that requires a SHARP edge...

Then, if you attempt to use it as a HAMMER, you'll quickly find out just how soft and easily-fractured sandstone is...

Now, I DO use stones like that as MODERN tools - they make great weights to hold down fabric on my cutting table!!

Zid

• ziddina
    ziddina

Heaven! Thanks for your vote of confidence, Lady!!

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "My dad and I founs an odd rock in the woods about 5 years ago.It was the size of a watermelon,obviously manmade and had a hole drilled thru it. ..."

Uh, Aquagirl, the rock cannot be "man-made", unless you're talking about cement or concrete...

I guess that you meant that the rock was an "artifact", "man-made" - a rock modified by man...?

Congratulations on finding a Native-American anchor!

I've found many a fossil, and had the good luck to find a "bow-drill" rock many years ago... I thought it was neat to have a rock with a depression in it, and used it as a "sink" for my Barbie dolls for many years, before realizing that it was a "cap" used to hold down the "drill" part of a "bow-drill"...

Zid

• still thinking
    still thinking

cool!!!...you're own 'brown triangle'...and just in time for Chrismas....you lucky, lucky bust ard!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit