Found an oddly shaped rock would like some help if possible

by sabastious 70 Replies latest jw friends

• ziddina
    ziddina

It's a plain old piece of sandstone....

You can see by the mis-shapen line at the "bottom" of the so-called "triangle", that it's not "man-made"... And in the side views, you can see that it is made up of layers - though they're a bit difficult to see, if a person isn't familiar with that kind of rock.

I have pieces like that all around my house, in the river-rock landscaping...

If you wish, try rubbing the stone with your fingernail or a piece of metal - you'll probably see that grains of sand are dislodged...

It is the WRONG KIND OF ROCK for arrowheads...

Arrowheads, spear-heads, and the like are made out of rocks like obsidian, chert, agate, and even some quartzites - if they are firmly consolidated, could be shaped into weapon-heads...

But not this thing. It's too soft; won't break with a "conchoidal" fracture (like glass, for example), and wouldn't even begin to hold together long enough to become a spear-head, let alone withstand an impact with a large animal, especially if it happened to hit a bone lying just under the skin...

Not to mention; it'd never survive the "knapping" process - or wouldn't produce the extremely sharp edges that a "knapped" piece of glass-like rock [the aforementioned obsidian, chert, agate, jasper, and so on] will produce, if handled properly.

Throw that at a woolly Musk Ox - on the head of a spear, and you'd just make it mad....

Zid

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I'm sure I can see Jesus on the bottom, left

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I've found rocks like that. Certainly not an arrowhead or a tool, as already mentioned its too soft and is sedimentary ( quartz, obsidian etc. Flaking rocks needed for tools )

Seems like it is slightly worn which suggests that it's been evenly weathered by a uniform process like acid erosion ( look at old sandstone buildings ) coupled with ice erosion ( water soaks in freezes and pops a few grains of rocks off .)

Its triangular shape is likely due to it snapping off a sheet of sediment either as part of a larger collapse or when struck by another force like a falling rock.

Almost certainly not manmade unless you can find a reason for a triangle shaped rock without a hole that is too soft to be a hitting tool. Tools are hard to make and not made frivolously.

• Azazel
    Azazel

Unshackled youve cracked it.

This could be the proof of the ancestors of the Mormans first settlement in North America!

They could be true and everyone else could be worshipping bollocks.

My faith has been shaken to its core.

NOT

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

This thread had such a wierd title I had to see how in the world it could go 3 pages..I'm amazed and amused..

Snoozy

• Heaven
    Heaven

I'm with Zid. After all, she's a rock hound (among many of her other fascinating abilities).

• sabastious
    sabastious

Zid, you seem to believe that it cannot be a tool because it's too soft. What about a tool that is used in a soft way? Any human that has ever seen this rock has picked it up. It's too uniform to not pocket at first sight. Rocks don't need a hole either. You could use thread (moss or whatever) to tie a handle to it. It could have been an instrument of precision. Digging for bugs to eat?

FatFreak's comments are very intriguing. I have yet to find a picture of an equally uniform rock. If anything this is a rare find. If heat was used in it's creation than that would suggest technology. ANCIENT ALIENS!!! just kidding, but this is a cool puzzle.

100% natural formation and me being the first human to find it is definitely a viable explanation. If that's the case why are they so rare?

-Sab

• designs
    designs

Try putting it under your mattress and see what happens at night

• N.drew
    N.drew

I'm amazed and amused.

Is this the funniest thread ever?!

Over a rock!

Anybody else have some funny things?

• sabastious
    sabastious