I was counselled regarding my prayer-ridiculous,

by iclone 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• iclone
    iclone

Last week I was caught off guard when a Brother asked me to close the meeting with prayer. (I have been deleted from all my assignments and so-called privileges without a spoken word from anyone-not surprising) I used to pray all the time having served as an elder for 12 years until I stepped aside, although I still pray; my prayers are the not usual fare you would hear at the Kindumb Hall. When I delivered my prayer I asked God to be with all those going through hardships around the world and was very specific, such as the unrest in the Middle East, earthquake survivors of Turkey, under privileged children and victims of injustice. I did not specify that God only consider JW's, rather I included everyone and did not mention the brothers, the GB, faithful slave rather just "all sorts of men".

After the meeting I had quite a number comment that it was so refreshing that I included all these people and not just JW's. The one exception was an elder that questioned my prayer and asked why I generalized instead of praying for my "related to us in the faith". He is nothing but a pompous ass. He has been removed as an elder three times and yet these idiots continue re-appointing him. When I told him about the positive comments I received by some in the congregation the only thing he said was "who said this to you". (How loving)

I told him that nowhere did Jesus teach us to pray this way. His model prayer does not include this feature of praying which in my opinion has slipped into the congregations and is not scriptural. I told him to the contrary the scriptures tell us that we should pray "for all men" and challenged him to do show me a scripture to the contrary. He said, "Show me this scripture". I said "you first, you are the one offering me counsel without any scriptural backing" Then I got in his personal space and said, "show me from the bible, any translation why I should only mention fellow JW's then I will show you my scriptural grounds." This moron is obviously not familiar with1 Timothy 2:1-5

I highly doubt he will challenge me and if he does he will hand pick scriptures where we are encouraged to pray for our fellow believers however the scripture in 1Timothy says; "I therefore exhort, first of all, that supplications, prayers, intercessions, offerings of thanks, be made concerning all sorts of men" NWT

I can practically write the script of what bible texts he will read but 1Timothy will trump all of them. Typical elder; does not know his bible, just scripted clippings from the WT and the secret elder's owner’s manual. (I should know I was exactly the same; however since my awakening I now know the bible better than I ever have!)

Cheers!

• itsibitsybrainbutbigenoughtosmellarat
    itsibitsybrainbutbigenoughtosmellarat

Amen and I am happy for you.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

You are very likely to find that your visits to the Kingdom Hall to become increasingly more troubling. The Watchtower organization is not about religion, it's about control to a central body of leaders. I hope that you can plot a successful exit and find happiness on the other side. It sounds positively awful.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

It amazes me how dubs can't see that the JWs are full of modern day Pharisees.

• Ding
    Ding

Iclone,

I fear you committed the unpardonable sin: You showed up an elder.

Plus, you quoted the Bible instead of the Watchtower...

• iclone
    iclone

Ding...it would not be the first time that I have done this. I challenged another elder over disparaging comments he made regarding non-believing or spiritually weak mates. I guess I get away with it because I served with the body for so long. I am planning my fade-exit strategy and can't wait for the last time I ever set foot in a Kingdumb Hall!

• sabastious
    sabastious

Seriously, bravo!

-Sab

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Jesus said to love your enemies. Anyone can love a close friend. This elder business must go to many heads.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    This elder business must go to many heads.

How could it not if given to certain types with certain backgrounds and psychological makeup. Some people should not be given power and the Watchtower has never seemed to really understand that.

-Sab

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Hey, that's awesome. Good for you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit