My mom and dad told me that I'm an apostate and that they want to 'limit their association' with me!!!

by Joliette 71 Replies latest jw friends

• Joliette
    Joliette

A series of events led up to an arugment with my parents last night. My mom and dad told me that they found my videos that I was doing on youtube, and they told me that I was an apostate. They said that they would help me if it was an emergency, but other then that, they didnt want anything to do with me. They said they by making youtube videos, I didnt consider their feelings, and how much it would hurt them. Besides people at my mom and dad's hall going back and telling them things about my facebook page being 'apostate', now I have to deal with this.

It feel like my soul has been aborted. What did I ever do to get treated like that? To have my own flesh and blood say that they dont want anything to do with me just because I disagree with some doctrines and some scpitures that were written thousands of years ago

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Sad to read of your situation, but it is common within the WTS. The so-called strong and faithful look down on the less strong and faithful in their eyes. Though they welcome the questioning of doctrine and teachings of other religions, the WTS condemns those who question the teaching of the WTS. It makes absolutely no difference if ones are related family members.

Though it will be difficult to handle how your parents treat you, continue to ponder on the real "truth" that you have. The forum here is a great source of encouragement and comfort. My parents shunned me even to their death bed. It hurt, but I feel that I have had a better life and family not locked into the WTS faith.

• cofty
    cofty

Sorry to hear that Joliette, its hurtful to hear them say that. Sadly the will not stop for a second to consider the possibility that your videos might be true.

I hate how the borg turns good people into unthinking clones.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

so sad Joliette, no words make situations like this easier to deal with, just keep strong.

• cedars
    cedars

Hi Joliette - you have my deepest sympathies. It's a scenario that all of us who are still connected live in fear of. I hope you can find the strength to live through this vicious and unchristian treatment. All of us on here will be rooting for you.

Cedars

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Yes, it hurts. I can't imagine the hurt changing. Your first responsibility is to yourself. You should be loved for who you actually are -- not a figment of their imagination. I found through severe illness that the people you least expect step up and do wonders. The people I counted on were absent. With time, you can develop alternate sources. Living in Manhattan, most of the population arrived in the city as misfits. It was a magnet where people such as themselves are not only tolerated but celebrated. The transition could be difficult.

• Joliette
    Joliette

Yeah...I posted a few corny ex-Jehovah's Witness video and somehow they found them and watched them. My Dad said that until I get things 'right' with Jehovah, they dont want to have long conversations because they dont want anyone effecting their sprituality. Ugh.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    they dont want to have long conversations because they dont want anyone effecting their sprituality. Ugh.

Thats funny..

They are afraid they might agree with you..

They prefer to stay "Stuck on Stupid"..

......................;-)...OUTLAW

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

There is notable tragedy with religious cults, of the many that are out there, in that the orchestrators ( the power players)

do not care one iota about families either to each individual as well, particularly on their emotional and intellectual growth.

They play a mean and cruel game of self empowerment and control which they strife to achieve wholly for themselves.

This is not solely indicative to the JWS alone, there are many religious cults that are just as malignly corrupt and cruel .

The only way your going to relax your position with your parents would be to stop voicing your opposition to their own beliefs.

I've had to take this action myself to create a seemingly fair relationship with my own relatives.

I've created a working respectful relationship with them where they respect me for my own personal views on religion as I do to

them. This is pretty much all you can probably expect from them unfortunately , unless there comes a time in the future that

they come to rethink things and leave the JW organization all together.

• cedars
    cedars

It's almost impossible to reach people when they have adopted that mindset. My father knows how I feel, but hasn't taken such drastic measure as your parents have, and for the most part our relationship has never been better - so long as we never discuss my feelings. Despite this "stand off", I am biding my time and planning the next opportunity to drive the message home in a way he will understand. Perhaps you could try something similar with your parents. Have you thought about making conciliatory noises, and begging them not to divulge the discovery of your videos to anyone else? Hell, tell them whatever they want to hear - just so long as they can remain a part of your life. Remember - they are victims here just as much as you are. The Society has such a stranglehold on their minds that they are taking drastic measures that fly against the natural instincts of any parent.

Please consider doing what you can to patch things up, and then waiting patiently until you can find the right time to put things across in a way that might have some impact. For example, one of the things that pushed me over the edge was the realisation that the concept of increasing light is unscriptural. When the time comes, ask your parents if they can show you one scripture that decribes a scenario in which God's holy spirit would deliberately feed false information to his servants on Earth as a "makeweight" until truth would be revealed at a later stage. That is essentially what the increasing light concept involves. I'm not saying you should try this now, I'm just saying there are things you might be able to say to them in the future once things calm down. Right now things are too raw. Take a deep breath, view them as victims too, and try to patch things up as best you can. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

Cedars

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit