Wrecked my car yesterday

by NewChapter 41 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I don't have an attorney, and I have only talked to my own insurance company. They are smoothing everything out, and THEY will approach the other company. They are also giving me a lot of information on how to approach the injury issue. I'm not jumping into anything, and will be thoughtful about this. As far as the loss of the car, it is what it is, and they have offered me a reasonable amount. I'm now in the market for a Ford Escape!

The medical stuff is different, and that will be handled as time goes on.

NC

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Sorry about your pain and loss. Sounds like you have a good attitude about it. I believe you may be correct about WTS causing previous anxieties.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    I don't have an attorney, and I have only talked to my own insurance company. They are smoothing everything out, and THEY will approach the other company.

If you live in the US (particularly California), your insurance company is only going to "smooth out" your car and current medical bills (if any), dear NC (again, peace to you!)... AND... only up to your/the other guys' limits. They won't negotiate any potential ongoing/future medical needs or any costs that exceed his limits. Not saying you need an attorney; just saying don't rule it out. Insurance companies are not in the business of making you actually "whole" as much as they're in the business of making their shareholders money (they are for-profit concerns, after all).

Your car will get fixed/replaced (and possibly at some cost to you - deductible or anything above replacement value - depending on your coverages). YOU, though, can be another thing altogether. Some insurance companies (and some drivers) try to gauge a person's injuries by the condition of the vehicle ("Well, it doesn't LOOK that bad, so she couldn't have been HURT that bad!"). But some injuries aren't viewable or readily discernable.

Take your time healing; you don't need to rush it and you want to be completely healed, if possible. If that means you have to get [more] medical attention... get [more] medical attention. The pain (and other symptoms) experienced after an accident sometimes doesn't manifest for days, even months ("What the heck was THAT 'pop'!?"). In some cases, you can still experience symptoms after years. Not saying that this is your case; just saying you may need to protect yourself, so don't rule out an attorney. Yes, I know... they make money on a claim, but they will look out for your best interest, too. THEIR money depends on it. The insurance company's does not.

Again, peace to you!

SA, on her own...

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Quick healing for you!

• sizemik
    sizemik

Sorry to hear of your mishap NC . . . I hope you come out of it intact (on every front).

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

@ AGuest

That was very sound advice. I am greatly impressed by your balanced and thorough point of view regarding insurance companies and injuries that are not readily apparent.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Time and unforeseen occuurrences......holy crap what am I saying

take care NC

smiddy

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

I'm glad that you're safe! I'm sorry your car is totalled, but glad you're still around to get another one.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Urk!!

A Ford...

May I suggest? Check out the "Consumer Reports" digest - they're usually available in hard copy at your local library where you can consult it for FREE - as opposed to the online access for which they charge a fee...

There's also "Lemon - Aide", a good book to read or consult before buying a car...

If you're buying new, these two books will help you pick a good, new car - BUT!! They ALSO give advice on which USED cars are the best buys, too!

Be SURE to buy a vehicle that has the HIGHEST RELIABILITY rating - fewest repairs throughout the lifetime of the car....

That alone could save you THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS over the lifetime of the car...

And buying a "new" version - something that hasn't been out for years and years - is risky, too...

Which is why I went "Urk!" when you mentioned Ford... They have an abysmal repair record - and I ought to know!! Both my dad and my brother are mechanics - Dad ALWAYS went with Ford, insisted that I do so, also... And every Ford I ever owned, was prone to breakdowns... And dear old Dad must have liked his Fords, because he was ALWAYS having to fix them!!

Just a word to the wise...

• talesin
    talesin

Holy Jeebus, gurl!

You know I'm thinking of you. (NC)

Word to the wise,,, having been through the process myself. Neck/back injuries from that kind of accident (almost identical to mine, and my brand-new Honda a write-off, too) can take time to set in.

Injury attorneys (fondly referred to as 'ambulance chasers') work on a contingency fee basis -- you probably already know this, but just in case. You do not have to pay for their services up-front. They take a percentage of the settlement. Insurance companies (yes, even your own) will lead you down the garden path. In some states, certain papers have to be filed xx amount of days after said accident.

Also, you must get checked by an emerg dept. or doctor ASAP. If you are okay,, no harm, no foul. If not, then you have verified documentation that you sought medical care/opinion immediately, and they have less chance of claiming that you are making it up.

Sign nothing, not even a cheque, without legal advice. If you are injured, the insurance company will try to hold up the case as long as they can, in the hope that you will settle for less. It's worth the wait; the only quick moves to make are 1) medical check 2) lawyer.

xo

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit