Wrecked my car yesterday

by NewChapter 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Twitch
    Twitch

Sorry to hear of it. The money and conveyance will work itself out. I hope you have no lasting issues with the health side and wish you a speedy recovery. I'd be wary of signing off on things hastily as well.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Hi NC! I am glad that you are Okay overall after your experience! It must have been very scary for you as it was happening. I am sorry about your car, but I am thankful that it got the brunt of the injuries rather than you! You are much, much more important than your car, as it can be replaced, but you can't!!!

You will probably be sore for awhile from the jolt that you experienced, but I hope that it only lasts a short time.

Feel better soon!!!

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

I just noticed that you said that you want to buy a Ford???!!! Please go immediately to the emergency room! I think that you may have had a concussion. Either that, or the pain pills are causing hallucinations. Maybe once they wear off, you will think more clearly-LOL

Whatever you buy, please check the safety ratings. They will help decide what will be the best car for you.

Again, I hope you feel better soon!

• designs
    designs

NC-

Hope you are feeling better. Take care

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

LOL, you guys are funny. First---on the FORD. My brother owns his own business and is constantly buying vehicles for his employees. He's been through many, and has settled on the Ford Escape. Now this is the guy who bought a FORD and rearranged the letters to read DORF as a teen. The motto Fix Or Repair Daily was common wisdom to our clan. But he has bought many of them now, he said because he was tired of his guys calling him broken down. He hasn't had that problem since going with escapes. I have all the same concerns you guys do, and so does he. I will tread cautiously. LOL

On lawyers--When I was 19, I had a serious accident. I was in a great deal more pain then than I am now. And for the next few years, I would experience serious setbacks. I do understand how these things take a while to manifest. Well, I had a lawyer. I had missed work, lost my car, was in near constant pain, I didn't have health insurance, and he got me nothing. After all the bills were paid, I had $1300. I am wiser now. I will not settle this quickly. I was 19 and thought I'd always heal with no problem. Not so. Now that I'm 46 with many complicated health problems, I NEVER take healing for granted.

I have an appt today. I considered the emergency room, but frankly, with my history my doctor will be more effective. He will take the xrays etc., but ALSO evaluate how this has affected my other illnesses.. Thank you all for caring. I won't be letting anyone take advantage of me.

NC

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

All I own is Fords, and I have been very satisfied with the product.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I hate car accidents!!! Glad you seem to be OK

• AGuest
    AGuest

Sorry for the bad lawyer, dear NC (again, peace to you!)... but if you think the insurance company is going to 'work' with you... you're in for a HUGE surprise. As someone posted, they will string you along... forever (well, it'll seem like that). They'll even refuse to pay some of your medical bills (on flimsy bases like "the documents don't indicate what was wrong with you/what the outlook is, etc."... when they well do. But unless you can READ medical docs, you can't really dispute what THEIR doctors say the docs say. An attorney, however (well, a good one) will have his/her own doctor take a look and give a summary, too).

Two years ago my daughter (who's tiny), the front passenger in the car, was T-boned when her driver made a left turn and a guy came from behind traffic and hit them. She was in a Cadillac STS... which was totalled. The whole right side crushed in; she taken to hospital in ambulance. Last year, she was broad-sided by a guy who ran a stop sign (well, he didn't stop long enough). She tried to handle both by herself (she didn't "believe" in lawyers... and I understood and respected that, although I urged to get one). Well, she finally conceded as to the first claim when the two insurance companies involved all but conspired to keep her from getting much needed medical care (including MRI and CAT scan!), as well as chiropractic and physical therapy care. My husband referred to his PI attorney... who called for her emergency room records: she had a dislocated right shoulder (oh, and torn ligament, sorry)! All that time!! Which was even worse because she relies on her right arm/hand/shoulder for work!

Thankfully, the attorney got her the care she needed. And so, she was about 86% recovered when the second incident occurred. Re-injury, of course, due to the inertia/jerk caused by the impact.

She thought she'd learned enough from the first go 'round, though, that she felt she didn't need an attorney the second time. Yeah, right. The insurance company not only tried to refuse additional therapy, but... tried to push her to "settle". The amount? HER OWNING OVER $3,000! Yep, said they were only required to cover certain medical bills but not all of them... because they didn't think she was "that injured"... based on the condition of the vehicles... and weren't going to cover any re-injury - they didn't care about any pre-existing conditions. However, the LAW is that a person is taken as they ARE... including with any pre-existing conditions/injuries. So, here she was, unable to work and/or perform without GREAT pain!

Given your previous accident... it COULD be (and I am not saying there is, by any stretch) things going on in your body you're not even aware of. So, as dear Tal (peace to you, dear one!) urged, get medical attention asap. First, to ensure that all is well, and second... because the longer one waits, the more likely the insurance company will reduce any damages you may be entitled to ("Well, if you were SO hurt, why'd it take you so long to get medical attention??"). Again, they NOT interested in making YOU "whole"; they are interested in paying out the LEAST AMOUNT POSSIBLE to close your claim. Less for you... more for shareholders. More for you... less for shareholders.

I am sorry to be this candid about them, but what the public doesn't know about insurance companies is a law class all by itself. Many have an aversion to taking issue with insurance companies because they don't like being litigious. I get that. But folks forget: that is why one HAS insurance. It is what you/the other guy is PAYING for: to cover your costs in the event of an ACCIDENT... and to put you back "whole" (where you were BEFORE the accident)... in body and property. If they can't DO that... make you "whole" physically, then they are REQUIRED to pay you the value of that.

There is NO reason to feel sorry for insurance companies: it they made everyone who was damaged "whole"... they wouldn't be as wealthy as they are. Trust me: very few are made "whole." Most are left damaged, injured, and to fend for themselves. Most of them DIDN'T consult an attorney. You mentioned your previous attorney only got you $1,300. What you must keep in mind is that it is not the attorney's job to make you RICH - it is his/her job to get you a FAIR settlement on your claim. If $1,300 was all your claim was WORTH in the end, then your attorney did his job. HE couldn't have taken any more than his contingency fee (which is set by the state!) anyway... so if you got $1,300... he only got whatever percentage state law allowed... from the net claim (after payment of medical expenses).

Not saying run out and get a lawyer, dear one; just saying... don't rule it out. And if you're in California and find you need one... a GOOD one... PM me.

Again, peace to you!

SA, on her own...

• jay88
    jay88

Good to hear that you are safe!

• ziddina
    ziddina

Seriously, check the reliability ratings of ANY car that you consider for purchase...

There is a possibility of getting a "lemon" in the highest-ranked ones, and a "jewel" in a Ford - er, the lowest-ranked ones - my dad's old Ford Galaxie made it to 300,000 miles before I left home, and they might have it yet, but....

The odds are in your favor if you make your choice based on the TOP-ranked car for reliability...

Zid - who drove Fords herself for a while, then got smart and started looking up ALL major purchases in "Consumer Reports" and other sources, before spending her money... $$

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit