Watching Rocky Horror for the 1st time

by rebel8 48 Replies latest social entertainment

• JAFO
    JAFO

Rebel8, if you ever get the chance to see a live performance on stage (and I don't mean the theatre movie screenings with audience participation, that NewChapter refers to, even though that can be fun, I mean the kind with a professional cast), beg, borrow or steal the money to go. It was the BEST experience of my life, and had I known of a bank with really slack security, I'd have stolen the money to go to every single nights performance.

• rebel8
    rebel8

LOL...I have seen Blue Man Group though...that was cool but not something I would want to do more than once!

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

i love rocky horror picture show

there's a light over at the frankenstein place there's a light burning in the fireplace

there's a light a light in the darkness of everybody's life

• Quandry
    Quandry

I don't get it...

I'm with you. I never saw it when it first came out because I was a dub, of course. The other day it came on so my husband and I decided to see what we'd missed. I guess you just can't ever go back. Perhaps at the time I would have "gotten it" but now, it was just all I could do to suffer through some of it. So glad it was recorded and I could hit fast forward through some of it......

• garyneal
    garyneal
    I don't get it...

I didn't either. Never-the-less, it was funny.

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist

The live action shows are a lot of fun... Though depending on where you go, your first time you might end up face humped by a cast member in his underwear... I was lucky enough to know people so that they went a bit easier on me.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I watched the whole thing...again. My daughter didn't get it either and the boys thought it was freaky (whichi it is). But I just love working Tim Curry work it in those platform heels. My fav part is the sweet transvestite song.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I never heard of it until law school. My roommate was an anomoly. A conservative Republican chantress who wanted to be Miss America. Her former roommate was Miss America. She told me her favorite film was Rocky Horror. All the other students who were aghast at her character suddenly said they had new respect for her. They were emphatic. So we saw it at the Waverly Theatre in Greenwich Village where it ran for years.

The actual film was the least. People dressed in costume acted out the scenes before the screen. I never saw such audience participation. People brought spritz bottles so I was sprayed with water during the rain scene. People used to bring candles and light them during a candle scene. The Fire Department was always present to enforce the law so we had to settle with flashlights. It was so much fun. I've seen it on DVD and streaming video but it is a pale comparison to the theatrical version. People travelled from all over the NY region to perform. There must be some sort of account how this culture evolved.

I've never seen the Exorcist, though. Now when spooky music comes on I can wait two seconds before turning it off. One note used to send me out of my mind.

I thought some of the local performers did a better job than the actual actors.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

There was a movie theater in Berkeley called the UC, they used to show Rocky Horror all the time before the theater got shutdown. I loved that movie theater and regret not going to see Rocky there.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

When I attended in Greenwich Village, there was a roll call of particpants. Quite a few attended every performance for five years or more. I was stunned. Berkeley must have had a great show. Ambiance matters. The entire auidence, except me, screamed all the lines at the screen. It was a true cult. Someone had to write a book about it.

It seems as though all those rep theatres are gone with videos and then DVDs and instant screaming. I used to stand in line for hours on the Upper West Side to see classics and foreign films. The audience gave standing ovations to Spencer Tracy or James Stewart. It was a community experience. Once I wait three hours in 20 degree weather to see Olivier's Hamlet. Once the projection equipment broke in the summer in the middle of a popular classic. After the sounds of disappointment, the audience spontaneously starting singing Christmas carols, followed by rounds, to pass the time until it was fixed. Convenience is nice but I miss such audiences so much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit