Was it the doctrine or the control that woke you up?

by Evidently Apostate 41 Replies latest jw experiences

• Evidently Apostate
    Evidently Apostate

even though i knew some of the doctrines were so convoluted they couldnt be genuine, every prophecy mentioned in the bible was simplistic and direct i still felt it was the best place to raise a family. i felt like i could ignore the hypocrisy, manipulative and fake personalities and still have true friends and unbreakable family bonds. even though my concience would bother me i would always try to forgive. I witnessed my niece endure vicious verbal and mental attacks when she made her stand and told her parents she was going to date and did not want to be apart of the religion. when i confronted her grandfather about his unchristian behavoir and how the harsh stance of the watchtower was devisive to the family arraingement he asked me if i still believed the governing body was annointed, not one once of remorse just the loyalty question.

Once i stopped attending meetings the shunning was almost immediate. my son stopped going also and within 2 months rumor was spread that he was on drugs and sleeping around. even my little girl was shunned by a former playmate she just walked right by us like a robot. i get the parental maunipulation but how do you explain that to your little girl. my wife now struggles and feels like an outcast when she goes to the hall i feel sad when i see her struggle , i have never hindered her worship, it is hers . i know she sees what i see but she still has the blind faith in the Org and my methods for removing her veil are non combative.

I guess i should be greatfull for the worst i have experienced as a JW. the hA

• Evidently Apostate
  • xelder
    xelder

The Control.

I can understand being wrong and stubborn (who isn't sometimes)

But it is the iron fisted control and manipulation that first got to me. Especially when I looked back at my participation in jucical committees....shame

• Quendi
    Quendi

Before I was disfellowshipped, I had begun questioning the doctrine. I suppose it was the notorious Novmeber 1, 1995 issue of The Watchtower and its explanation of the "generation" mentioned at Matthew 24:34 that sowed the first seeds of doubt. Then I started examining other doctrines at the prompting of an elder friend I had. After getting disfellowshipped, my questions only multiplied and my eyes were also opened to the insidious control the organization sought over ever aspect of a person's life. It took some time even after I was disfellowshipped to finally realize that the entire religion was false, but once I woke up to that fact there was no turning back.

Quendi

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

The control. When I started to see elders acting selfishly and without concern for others, I started to get a clue

• wobble
    wobble

With me the tipping point came from realising that the 1914 doctrine was hogwash, after that the whole house of cards that is WT doctrine, fell down.

Looking back on my feelings, I had been reversing out for years,and the constant demands for loyalty (worship really) to the Governing Body made me really annoyed. I could not see that they had earned my loyalty, they had not at that point even earned my respect, and of course they never did.

I did not bridle too much about their heavy handed attempts at control, because I never did anything unscriptual, and if one of their rules wasn't in the bible I didn't care, I just did what I wanted anyway, hence they were always wary of promoting a rebel like me to Elder, not that I would have accepted, as I made plain on a number of occasions.

Everybody has a different spur that actually makes them walk away, but the control has got to such a level now that it must become the main reason people wake up and scream "CULT!"

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

The doctrine woke me up, the control issues are encouraging me to leave.

I could cope with the control if the doctrine was true. But as one poster on here said 'they p!ss on your back and command you to believe it's raining'

• Quendi
    Quendi

Another factor in my disillusionment was the realization that the elders were absolutely unqualified to handle many of the problems they took up. They had no college or university schooling; no professional training in psychology, psychiatry, medicine or law; and worst of all, little or no empathy for those who came to them seeking help. Instead of acting like the tender and loving shepherds they were supposed to be and tending to the sick and wounded sheep, these men often drove them into the jaws of the waiting wolf, bear or lion. I often wondered how could holy spirit be active upon these men who would never have been entrusted with the responsibilities and priviliges they had by a secular organization. It was only after I did a thorough investigation that their complete lack of qualifications for the posts they held became obvious.

Quendi

• sizemik
    sizemik

The control definitely . . . or more aptly . . . the out of control.

The jealousy bubbling under the surface among the Elders I was unfortunate enough to have to deal with as well as their total selfishness and callous approach, which badly affected a lot of people. Eventually it led directly to a suicide, and enough was enough. At that point I just thought Jah and his henchman can have their fuckin' paradise and I hope they choke on it. I uncovered all the lies as a natural progression, but I was already long gone . . . on moral grounds.

• Ding
    Ding

Doctrine, then the false prophecies

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit