Those "Passion arousing jungle rythyms" !

by wobble 37 Replies latest jw friends

• imasheilatoo
    imasheilatoo

I recall a party from my youth. The "Monkey" was the new dance at the time, and Smokey Robinson had the hit song Mickey's Monkey. We were all dancing to it when a caucasion elder dropped in to see how the party was going. (I lived in a Black neighborhood, but of course all of our elders were white.) He promptly left, but returned 20 minutes later, bible and research in hand, and broke up the party. In his speech, he said the Monkey was based on African dances that were intended to jiggle the breasts and arouse the other sex. I have no idea where his supposed "research" came from. His speech was racist, misogynist, and like all Witness teachings clearly terror-stricken of anything that smacks of human sensuality -- which is not "dirty" unless you see it that way!

• cult classic
    cult classic

When I was a teenager this 20-something pioneer took me "under her wings". One day while bouncing from return visit to bible study she told me that "rock music has the beat of sexual intercourse". I asked her what she meant by that. She intertwined her fingers and made a pumping motion with her hands and simulated the beat of sex.

I do remember stumbling on that important nugget of enlightenment somewhere in the litterature.

ROFL at the comments above you guys. Good thread Wobble.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I remember being 9 yrs old and telling my school friend I could not listen to the Bee Gees because it originated with African tribal fertility dances, which is demonic and immoral.

It's perverted to teach kids this stuff, and to tell them to tell it to their little friends.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

We had a PO that had a weird fixation on dancing. He said it mimicked pagan religions that would do obscene gestures in unison. Women violently shaking their breasts. He was such a hypocrate as his daughter walked into the study a few times and he passed out watching the playboy channel.

• ziddina
    ziddina

GOOD music, Talesin!

Here's my "jungle" contribution... Well, it's more North Africa than jungle, but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmW4JstY9lM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V66iq4ekT8g&feature=related

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I did the Watusi with the best of them until my cousin read me the riot act about jungle worship. She was my age and I hated her guts for her sanctimony. It affected me deeply. I had to take lessons to dance again.

When was the statement made. In the 1950s just about everyone except the NAACP talked that way. Rascisim was very open. In school we watched documentary after documentary about Africa being absolutely crazy and having no culture worth preserving. White people may have been envious of Soul Train. Of course, even if this dates from the 1950s, Jehovah should not endorse blatant racism. The dance moves of European countries are not closer to God. It is hard to dismiss how racist tv and films were. The mere site of an African warrior sent me running for safety. One native garbed warrior was worse than images of Hitler,slaughtering millions but civilized. In my neighborhood, people commented on how Africans were more related to chimpanzees and orangtuns than human.

• Mickey mouse
  • betterdaze
    betterdaze

One of my JW mom's old 45's that I danced to as a little girl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvf_YKBYJVI

And the flip side… for Ms. Ziddy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyWYSNUQ8H8

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

*** g79 3/22 p. 6 What Are Its Roots? ***

When you go to a Disco today, you are basically participating in a 1977 version of ceremonies that were going on eons ago on the West Coast of Africa....Does having an ancient African origin in itself make disco music objectionable? Obviously not, no more than if the music had an ancient Asian, European or American origin. What does bear on the matter, however, is the purpose of the ancient music. What kind of dances were performed with it?

Disco literature has commented on those ancient dances, and their purpose. In fact, the wild abandon of those ancient dancers is held up for modern disco dancers to imitate; they are urged to cast off the inhibitions that they may have....Is it wrong to adopt a style of dancing that the ancients used in the worship of their gods? Yes, for true Christians it is. Why? Because those gods of the nations were condemned by the Creator, the God of the Bible. He did not approve of the ancient fertility dances that were designed to stimulate the sexual passions of both participants and observers.

*** g79 3/22 p. 9 The Kind of Places Discos Are ***

Kitty Hanson, who has researched and written extensively on the subject, says of a modern disco: “Under the glittering canopy of lights, the floor seemed to heave with the pounding of feet, and the air began to crackle with sheer physical energy. Then the room exploded. Cries and calls and a thousand wildly waving arms filled the air as the music virtually lifted the dancers off their feet and off the floor. It was a simmering, sizzling moment of pure primitive emotion. It was the essence of the disco experience.” What is this “pure primitive emotion”—the essence of the disco experience—that is elicited from dancers? ...

Free, liberated sexual expression—abandonment of restraints—that is the essence, the soul, of disco. Surely this is reminiscent of ancient fertility dances where worshipers broke loose in frenzied, passion-arousing movements that may well have culminated with participants engaging in sexual intercourse so as to coax “Mother Earth” to yield new crops.

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

*** g79 3/22 p. 13 How Christians Should View Disco ***

Another Witness, who regretfully had to be expelled from the Christian congregation because he became swallowed up in the disco experience and committed all forms of fornication, later acknowledged: “It’s a jungle. Even if you go there with your wife and want to enjoy a little dancing, she is undressed and raped in the minds of the men there even before you get her out on the dance floor.”

Has that ever happened to any other witness?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit