Those "Passion arousing jungle rythyms" !

by wobble 37 Replies latest jw friends

• wobble
    wobble

Do any of you remember the WT putting those words in print ?

I remember when I read them that I thought "They don't give me a hard-on", now, slow dancing close to a lovely lady, that was different,

I was pleased to see her !

Is this not another example of the WT's blatant racism and its desire to stifle anything joyous ?

Please feel free to post any "passion arousing jungle rythyms" that you think the WT would disaprove of !

• talesin
    talesin

How's about a little Howlin' Wolf?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ou-6A3MKow

t

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Nothing findable in the CD, but these...

1953 WT....

By Wednesday evening our assembly had grown from 36 to 76, making it necessary that we use the yard of the missionary home for our meetings. At intervals the convention program was interrupted by small groups of professed Christians going through the streets serenading and taking collections. The chanting, the beating on kettles and on drums and the weird music, however, sounded much more like jungle paganism than Christianity

WT 1956

‘ChristianAfrica—Pagan

America’

? There used to be a time when Americans viewed virtually all the Africans as pagans. Apparently the time has come for the Africans to view the Americans as pagans. According to preacher Roger Coon, a “Christian Africa” may be sending missionaries soon to convert a “pagan America.” Said preacher Coon as he boarded a steamer in Portland, Maine, to return to Nigeria: “Much of the grotesquely huge jewelry hanging from the ears, necks and wrists of so many sophisticated American women surpasses the adornment of African pagans.” Some of the rhythms blared out of jukeboxes, he added, seem adaptations of the nervous beat of jungle drums. “I believe,” declared cleric Coon, “the average West Africa schoolboy knows more about the Bible than does his counterpart in America.”—Aberdeen, Scotland, EveningExpress, October 13, 1955.

1974 Awake!

Nor to be overlooked is the role that rock music plays in youths’ craving for excitement. As reported in the New York SundayNews, May 13, 1973, rock is an “unholy trinity of . . . violence, sex and noise.” Another writer puts it this way: “Three things distinguish rock—the relentless beat, the freedom of conception and the overpowering volume. . . . Together with the pulsing, driving beat, it creates passionate excitement, an almost sexual tension—one wants to move, to dance.” According to one rock fan, “the loudness makes you feel wild, it blows your mind.”

1979 Awake!

Another Witness, who regretfully had to be expelled from the Christian congregation because he became swallowed up in the disco experience and committed all forms of fornication, later acknowledged: “It’s a jungle. Even if you go there with your wife and want to enjoy a little dancing, she is undressed and raped in the minds of the men there even before you get her out on the dance floor.”

1991 Awake!

In an article in Life magazine on house music, one nightclub aficionado says: “Dance music at its most elemental has always had a tribal feeling—pounding beat and an erotic pulse, tugging away until a kind of communal rapture takes hold. Something had been missing in the jungle-of-the-cities, and house music fills that throbbing void.” New York deejay David Piccioni says: “The object is to totally lose yourself all night long.”

• wobble
    wobble

Thanks Oz, I think those quotes make my points, racist and don't want any JW to enjoy themselves. I may have conflated some of their words, but I'm sure the "passion arousing" bit was said, and "jungle rythms" if not in the same article.

Anyway, post some rythms folks (Thanks Talesin, Howlin' is great)

• cantleave
    cantleave

I remember an elder saying those very words to me about "rock and pop" music. At the time I just ignored it, but in retrospect it is appallingly racist!

• fade_away
    fade_away

I don't know if their term applies to salsa or any other spanish music as well, but in the spanish congregations last year they made a big deal out of a certain dance called "bachata". It's a dance that has more than one way to dance it.....could be in a provocative way, or in a normal salsa-like way. But they did not want me to play this music at my wedding because supposedly bachata originated in burlesque theatres and has pagan history.

I played it at my wedding anyway, and only a handful of over zealous people didn't get up to dance. Most people did since most were Colombian and can't resist the urge to dance it. I figured our wedding rings were pagan and so was my wife's veil (but those are ok for some reason), so why not some pagan music?

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

I've heard that phrase before and I'm only in my 20s so maybe it's been said in talks? It is ridiculous by the way...

• designs
    designs

Anyone remember an old CO bro. Fredinili, he was known for saying that kind of thing and rifling through your glove box looking for Devil Music.

• clarity
    clarity

Dance music at its most elemental has always had a tribal feeling—pounding beat and an erotic pulse, tugging away until a kind of communal rapture takes hold.

Wowie! I really must start getting out more!

• DNCall
    DNCall

"Dance music at its most elemental has always had a tribal feeling . . ."

Come to think of it, the Old Testament has a tribal feeling.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit