why JWs doesn't celebrate birthday?

by vientotz 60 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• vivalavida
    vivalavida

Hi viento, I think the feeling of the majority here is that if you want to really be true to yourself and keep your mental health, you should stop studying with the JWs. Period. However, I can very well understand your desire to continue to study and find out for yourself if that, what is said here, is the "Truth about the Truth". If that is the case, make sure you make a good investigation before committing to anything.

The problem is not that people who become JWs are bad, the problem is that, in their case, it happens what a wise man once explained: "Man spends half of his life searching for the truth and, once he thinks he found it, spends the other half defending it agains all odds" and it doesn't matter if that truth is a fantasy, he'll still defend it against everything. It turns into an "ideology" and "dogma" which I define as follows: dogma - as the result of what other people thoughts and conclusions and Ideology - as doing what you are told regardless of what is right.

You are your own individual, and if you feel the need to investigate for yourself to be able to make an informed decision, go ahead, it's YOUR right. However, make the investigation like a judge does, listen to and weigh both sides and only then make a decision.

You have a BIG advantage, you're not a JW yet, you're just studying, which actually puts you in a very advantageous situation, because you can ask lots of questions.

By the way, what is your first language? Is it spanish? Given that viento means wind in spanish, just being curious.

vivalavida

• vientotz
    vientotz

thanks vivalavida XD

I'll seek more information about JW's - they can't convert me that easy! I'm sure of that.. I just don't want to chase them away..

Knowing the facts about JW's make me feel bad about them they are so dedicated to their religion especially to my friend!

Can you gimme some question's that JW's can't answer and can't find it in the Bible? So I have an excuse to open some topic about JW's facts. XD

• vientotz
    vientotz

anyways, I'm Vivien from philippines XD

my friend use to call me vientotz in social networking sites and online games =)

• stillstuckcruz
    stillstuckcruz

Thank Bangalore for this info from JW's =) but I want your own reasons and experienced to share it with me. I don't want to refer it from any publications or man made written basis-- (pls understand my english im not good in speaking english =)

Bangalore: First off, nice to meet you and welcome to the forum! :) Moving on....If your purpose is to understand why the JW's believe the way they do, it of utmost importance that you hear their own line of reasoning straight from their own published material, whether you believe it or not. That way, if anyone challenges you as to why you you can't accept their line of reasoning, at least you know full well what their line of reasoning is. Then you can begin to counter it.

Personal exeriences are also great as you mentioned because they help you to understand how they operate. This point regarding b-days is something I would suggest mentioning to your BS conductor. See what their response is and see if that makes any sense to you. REmember, on the off chance that you ever became a witness, you would be forced to accept this teaching or be shunned by everyone inside.

• stillstuckcruz
    stillstuckcruz

There are some great sites that will help you in your decision. Get a copy of the Watchtower library so you can have access to their more "recent" publications that way you can see THEIR side.

Then visit some sites from former members that will help you to see what the JW's will not allow you to see. Remember that witnesses in the religion will not allow you to do any research outside of their own publications so it's best to do it now while you have the opportunity. Here are some sites:

http://jwfacts.com/

http://www.sixscreensofthewatchtower.com/

http://www.freeminds.org/

This was also, I feel, a great thread showing the control that JW's have over their members, even if they don't know it:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/91207/1/Cults-Steven-Hassans-BITE-model

See everything objectively. If you still feel unsure, once you have learned more about their terminology, like the Governing Body, the Annointed, etc, read Crisis of Consicence by Ramymond Franz. Ray Franz was at the VERY top of the organization, a former member of the Governing Body. He explains what the vast majority of JW's do not know about, considering many blindly accept whatever is handed to the by the GB.

Best of luck is your search!!! :)

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

I do not recommend that you trust www.sixscreensofthewatchtower.com. Rick Fearon is a fraud.

• vientotz
    vientotz

@stillstuckcruz

Thanks XD

Were just done studying the bible-- my friend was not there xC busy at school--

Anyways, I don't get a chance to start a topic about jwfacts I think they notice my silence, I just nodded (with a frown face) everytime they ask me, 'vien did you get what we mean?'

I feel so guilt, we use to have happy mode in studying the bible.

when they ready to leave, i drop a line 'Ate, (sis) why are their so many..' ( she knows what I mean) -she stop and look at me saying 'vien, it is also written in the bible that one true religion will be hated by all.. (with a smiling face)

Errrrrr >_< i'm confused again!!

is really written in the bible? that their is one true religion (JW's) will be hated by all?

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

it is also written in the bible that one true religion will be hated by all..

No Vientotz, the Bible does not say that. Did she show you a scripture that says that? I'll bet she didn't. Put her to the test and ask her for the scripture that says exactly that. This is the way Jehovah's Witnesses often work; they make remarks that are from their religion, then claim that the Bible says it.

I like StillStuckCruz' advice...get the book by Raymond Franz, Crisis of Conscience. You will learn a lot about the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses. It's a little hard to find these days, but if you can't find one at a reasonable price, you can download it here for very little money.

http://www.commentarypress.com/Detail/eng_crisis_e.html

• vientotz
    vientotz

I'll try to download that later

So if its not written in the Bible then why they keep on saying it to other's? Every word's they said is according to the Bible but they never showed it to me XD

Anyways, im just studying yet-- XD

• What is Truth?
    What is Truth?

@ ScenivViewer

"Regarding thinking, after you are in it is something they will not tolerate. They put a negative spin on it by callling it 'independent thinking.' Who wants to be independent? It makes it sound like you are rebelling against God by thinking. They never put a positive spin on thinking by calling it critical thinking, positive thinking, forward thinking, or clear thinking; that is unless you agree with the religion on everything!"

Now According to the "Avoid Being 'Quickly Shaken From Your Reason'!" Dec. 15th 2013 watchtower even critical thinking is something to be on gaurd against. Instead we are to "maintain the traditions."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit