why JWs doesn't celebrate birthday?

by vientotz 60 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• vientotz
    vientotz

I'm so curious, why they're not celebrating their birthdays? Is it just because Jesus don't celebrate it and it's not written in the Bible that they celebrated the birthday of Jesus? Or is it written in the bible not to celebrate birthday? sorry for this question, i'm just curious why? =)

• headisspinning
    headisspinning

Jehovah's Witnesses don't celebrate birthdays because the money they might spend on birthdays should be contributed to the Watchtower. Birthdays are silly and frivolous and that money belongs in the contribution box!

• vientotz
    vientotz

Really? Is that all? Are JWs obliged to contribute money to the Watchtower? I haven't heard that my JW's friends who's teaching or doing bible study with me yet I haven't ask them about it. So does it mean the bible has not said not to celebrate birthday? sorry im not good in english XD

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Hello vientotz, and welcome aboard!

The reasons they (Witnesses) cite are that birthday celebrations mentioned in the Bible featured the executions of Pharoah's baker and of John the Baptist, and that birthday celebrations constitute "creature worship" of the guest of honor. Never mind the heavenly host praising the most important birthday of all (they refuse to celebrate that one, too).

Personally, I think they are just channeling their inner Dean Vernon Wormer: "No more fun of any kind!"

• extractor
    extractor

The actual answer is one of the main goals of any cult is to isolate it's members from family / friends / society as much as possible. The organization has a different "biblical" excuse for each holiday or family get-together it doesn't allow its members to attend. Except Thanksgiving, I guess that's just a "because we said so" holiday avoidance. Sad.

• vientotz
    vientotz

I think there's nothing wrong in celebrating birthday since where thanking God for another year he had given. In the day of our birth were not calling or thinking bad thing when we celebrate it we THANK GOD! ( no offend to all JWs, i just want to know more about what your teaching =) So, that is their basis why they don't celebrate birthday? Is that all? so, there's no text in the bible that warn or forbid us to celebrate birthdays right?

• clarity
    clarity

Vien ... Jesus birth was celebrated!

Jobs children celebrated their special days!

Read Romans 14:5,6

Watchtower forbids celebrating all the 'fun things' to keep us from family gatherings as that would weaken their control over us! Also that is one of the ways they hope to make us different from the "world"

They are such idiots!

Btw welcome

clarity

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

"...there's no text in the bible that warn or forbid us to celebrate birthdays right?"

That's right. The Watchtower suggests it's implied that birthdays are bad, since both birthday celebrations in the Bible had a beheading occur, and both were birthdays of pagan people.

In it's zeal to condemn an innocent observance the Watchtower loses sight of the real sin, which was the murder, which would have been bad regardless of the day it occurred. The birthday is emphasized more than the murder (by the WTS), and that is backward.

The Bible has no trouble saying that murder is a sin. If birthday celebrations were really a sin, the Bible would likely say so, since birthdays were a known practice. But it does not.

Paul wisely tells us, “Do not go beyond the things that are written,” (1Cor 4:6) and that, unfortunately, is exactly what the Watchtower does.

• BroMac
    BroMac

most jw's would agree with you vientotz.

there is nothing wrong with celebrating a birthday.

in fact JW's did celebrate their birthdays.

and jesus birthday.

this was finished by judge rutherford the president at the time. i think it was 1928-29 that it changed. suddenly everything became pagan!!!!

nobody today associates the 'customs' of birthday celebrations as taking part in a Pagan Ritual! unless you happen to be a pagan and believe that stuff.

it was all done and designed to keep JW's seperate from the 'world' and 'spiritually clean'.

BroMac

• Free!!
    Free!!

Also, because the WT frowns upon ANYTHING that may take the glory and attention (worshipping) from them!! So, B-days are considered self-worship days (wrong, wrong, wrong! in the WTB$ world)

It feels good to be out.. because I am DOUBLE devilish!! I was born in Halloween!! hahahahahah!! so, now that i am out i celebrate my B-day AND the Halloween!! :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit